Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

A
Aton
First of the year, and it was not without effort. Been to the Alsea, Clackamas, Sandy, Siletz, and Siusilaw. And came away empty. In my defense, nobody else was catching much on days that I went to these systems. Finally joined the dark side and tossed a pink worm in the water. My brother in law swears by them. He told me I wouldn't have to guess if it was a bite or not. Was he ever right! This girl set the hook herself when she hit it. Of course, as I was getting ready to hike in, I thought about bringing the net, and for some reason decided against it. Doh! And the bank I was on was very steep and brushy. Walked her into a cove of sorts, saw she was a keeper, so gave the rod one little pull up the bank, while going for the hand grab and...leader breaks(10lb. UG). There is my fish, still in the water, so I did like I saw on the Discovery channel and "Noodled". Got soaked up to my armpits, but somehow got a hold of her! It was like catching the same fish twice.

Pink Worm.jpg
27 inch. Mad River Worm, ¼oz. white jig, Under a clear water bobber.

E
eugene1
Great story, congrats on the steel! Looks like that river is getting a little color to it, you guys must be getting some rain?

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
great story, nice when big effort finally pays off...

B
billfisher
Nice fish! Sounds like you had that one coming. I've done that a few times.....except I always lose em

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great pay off for a lil soaking! :worthy: I came very close to doing the same thing in the Santiam when my son, Autofisher, caught a nice steel. He nearly had a coronary by the time I came to my senses and remembered I don't swim. :sad: Oh yeah, I brought it in with his net. :thumb:

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
What really matters is you can say you've caught a steelhead with your bare hands