Ethics opinions...

D
damonspreng
I have a code to a gate on the coast range to a fairly small Creek loaded with fish... I want to fish it in the morning but I know there will be hunters parked there and walking in...how angry or jealous do you think they will be?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Dont be a Richard!

D
damonspreng
I don't want to be but when does hunting season end? Trout season closes on the 31st

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Make sure you wear orange head to toe!

P
pinstriper
Deer goes through 11/6. Elk starts up again 11/14.

troutdude
troutdude
Many small tribs, are often closed to any/all fishing. Have you checked the reg's, to be sure that your stream is legally open?

D
DirectDrive
damonspreng said:
I have a code to a gate on the coast range to a fairly small Creek loaded with fish... I want to fish it in the morning but I know there will be hunters parked there and walking in...how angry or jealous do you think they will be?
I would hold off.
One of these "jealous hunters" might try to get in on your action and you could have company year round.
They could do a search, find the landowner and strike the same deal to gain access.
Monkey see, monkey do.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Do it-

S
sapo
yup. go for it

D
damonspreng
I know the tributary is open. I also know nobody else will get access to this gate. I didn't end up doing it I went to the Trask sour chinook instead...it was dead.

P
pinstriper
I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with it, so long as it is private land and you have an "in" with the owner - that's their privilege, and while I am not happy about private land that the owner used to leave open for recreation, it's their train set, and if I have to walk in to play on it, that's better than them declaring it off limits.

Seems there are gates going up on public lands, which is kind of puzzling how that works. Not happy about that.

That said, I think you are setting yourself up for a confrontation.

D
DirectDrive
damonspreng said:
I know the tributary is open. I also know nobody else will get access to this gate. I didn't end up doing it I went to the Trask sour chinook instead...it was dead.
To reiterate, I would keep it on the down low.
For lack of better word, if you "flaunt" your special access privileges in front of the wrong person in this period of high activity, he may dig into it.
IOW, he might locate the owner and possibly offer $ for access or worse, a lease.
Something like this could turn your deal upside down....I've seen this happen.

H
Hookset
Go fish it you have the right.

F
fishtales
If you have the privilege to fish it then go for it. Maybe offer to give the hunters you run into a ride back or offer a tip if you see anything.