Eight foot Creek Company toon

J
J Smith
Four days ago I purchased an 8' Creek Company Sport LT. I thought this was great, got it on sale new for $199. A friend ( a long time Toon user) and I went to the lake for a little bass fishing and I found my feet were in the water on the foot rest and my butt got soaked within ten minutes of putting the boat in the lake. My friend on his other brand boat was high and dry. I called the Creek company and explained my problem, told the customer service guy and he said he was 6ft 3 and weighed 250 pounds and he didn't have a problem. Well I'm 6ft and 190 and I did have a problem.
My pontoons were up to pressure, the seat was just too low toward the water, I might of had two inches between my butt and the lake.
I asked customer service if I could of gotten a bad frame that was putting the seat too close to the water. Then he more or less told me I would have to fix my own problem, with the sugestion I put spacers under the seat. I did the spacer thing and then could not row without hitting my knees. Feet still hanging in the water.
This morning the boat went back to the store.
Has anyone else had this problem with their Creek Company boat?
How about the Toon Bi-Mart has on sale right now, are they any good?

Thanks
JS

J
joesnuffy
I've got a 9 foot Creek Company toon and it works great. Are you sure that the toons are completly inflated and that you are putting it together correctly?

I notice in cold water my toons "deflate" a little bit because the air inside condenses... maybe that? put some more air in....

post pictures maybe?

Reactions: OnTheFly
J
J Smith
I had a pump at the lake and as this friend is a long time Toon user I had him check it out. We aired it up tell it was tight as a drum after being in the water. I went to sportsmans warehouse and looked at their display boat and mine was put together correctly. I think there may have been a defect in the frame, like a little slip of a part while welding. But Creek Company customer service was no help, I asked him for an exposed view(photo) of the boat, he told me to go find it on their web site. So I returned the boat to the store and they are sending it back to Creek Company. I didn't want to return it, it was a lot of fun fishing out of it, it would of been more enjoyable if I had not been soaking wet to the belt line.

F
Finneus Polebender
I go 6-2 250 and will get my rear wet on choppy days when I have gear or an anchor on back, and if I use the pegs my feet are in the water . Inflation makes a big difference but even full I have got wet too. I had another one different mfg. that was even worse changed it out to a padded hard seat and raised it when i made the switch worked perfect.

W
wozniasm
Here's a pic of mine. As you can see, the guy I purchased it from raised the seat and the seat bottom rides about the same level as the top of the toons. I don't get wet unless it's very choppy as Polebender indicated.
If you set your frame too far back on the toons, this can cause the back to ride low in the water and high in the front...

Last edited:
G
gonagin
I bought a Bi Mart toon a month ago and have yet to get wet at all, sometimes I put my feet in the water just to cool off. I love my toon, it's the greatest thing since canned beer and sliced white bread. BTW Bi Mart has them on sale right now for $219

M
Markcanby
I have 3 Creek's an all models under 10' the foot pegs are just above the water. So yeah your feet are going to get wet.:rolleyes: Get some waders or get a raft if you dont want your feet wet.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

J
joesnuffy
WEll that's too bad. I hoe you find something that works for you. It's too much fun to give up :p

B
bernduffy
On my 9' FishCat foot pegs are just above water. I installed a swivel on seat which raised it about 1.5 inches...never get fanny wet. I wear waders not just for dangling legs in water (which you have to do to turn around deal with anything aft) but one never knows when one has to get out and walk... Now that I think about it, I am sticking my legs or a leg in water many times for many reasons, not the least of which is bringing fish into net in front. Oh yeah: no way you are going to have dry legs in a small pontoon.

J
J Smith
Thanks to all, I just ordered a Colorado Pontoon Boat from Wal-Mart, I looked at two like it at a yard sale and the guy claimed he paid over $600 each and wouldn't take any less that $350 each. Wal-Mart had them for $338 free to store shipping. Hope I did good, they say education costs, I guess I may be finding this out.

M
Markcanby
BaHaHa If you didn't like the ODC you are going to hate the Colorado!!!!!!!!!

I am 180 an set nicely in my ODC Growbug from the forum is around 210 I would say an has the Colorado an sits at least 4" lower than my ODC.

Like I said if you want to be dry an spend under 500$ get a raft!

O
OnTheFly
I own a Bucks Bag 8' Bronco. I am 6' 2" and weigh around 182. I sit about 4"+ above the water and usually wear shorts with it on a hot day. I never get wet. I'd say if you are sitting in the water while in a pontoon boat then there's something seriously wrong.

M
Markcanby
Yeah my butt never get wet unless there is decent chop on the water. Your feet are going to be in the water unless you buy a big toon.

O
OnTheFly
Whaty'ya talking about Mark...your butt's always dragging in the water.

M
Markcanby
Oh that was cause of all the fish I had on my toon last time Jim.

B
Berg03
Ya in my pontoon boat I don't touch the water at all, I wear shorts everytime and come out clean, sometimes the tips of my shorts get wet from being a little on the big side and dragging in the water. But you shouldnt be actually in the water.

J
J Smith
An update, as I said I took the CC back and now have a Colorado Toon. The Colorado is twenty pounds more and one foot longer than the CC but I like the boat better. Last night I was on a lake with water skiers and a lot of wind, no wet butt. The foot rests can be set close to the water or high above the water. The oars have three positions so you arn't locked into one setting. Yes the Colorado is a biger boat and not quite as easy to row as the CC, but I'm much happier with it. I also have a transport wheel that makes it a breeze getting to the water, the boat did not come with one but had the fitting to mount one under the seat. A small wheel from a bicycle and one hour later I had a wheel to transport the boat. I'm still learning about pontoon boats but so far love it. I have a drift sock coming and just built an 11 pound chain anchor. The lakes I will most likely fish have strong winds. If something works great, if not I'll try something new.