South Umpqua carnage

jamisonace
jamisonace
And by carnage I mean: If it could go wrong, it did. I'm so glad I didn't offer the open seat like I had planned.

I was working in Douglas County so I decided to pull my drift boat and finish my day in Canyonville around noon so I could fish around Stanton Park. I just got my boat back from Koffler and was excited to get it out on the water. I had him make some adjustments to the rowers bench, add a single seat in the front and modify my heating system. Nothing too crazy but I was looking forward to getting it back on the water.

I get the launch and my day went south quickly. First, I notice that my anchor nest broke off on the way down and I see that I also lost my strap. No big deal. I can still fish.

I get the boat launched and quickly realize I had moved my seat forward but not my oars so I awkwardly row to soft water and fuss with the oars for 5 minutes getting them adjusted. Once that is done I start my motor and let it warm up. I sit back down to get my rods rigged and notice I forgot my net. This is a problem but I decide I won't bother netting anything, I'll just release whatever I catch. Since I had just got my boat back from Koffler I hadn't put everything back in that I needed. No big deal, I can still fish.

Now the anchor nest is rattling to the vibration of the motor because the nest is broken and guys are catching fish all around me so I decide to turn the motor off to be respectful and I return to my rods. I get the rods done, return to the motor to start it and it fires right up but the rope won't go back in. WTH! I take the top off, screw with stuff even though I have no idea what I'm doing and amazingly the rope goes back in. Put the top back on, pull the rope and I hear metal flying all over inside the motor and the rope comes back towards me with no resistance. Take the top off, realize I'm screwed, pull the anchor and row back to the ramp.

As I'm doing the Row of Shame back to the gravel bar a couple of nice guys meet me there to see if they can help. We decide pretty quickly that its a lost cause and continue chatting until Johnny Law shows up and offers to inspect my boat
and give me my inspection sticker. Great! Something productive will come out of all this right? Nope. As he's inspecting my boat I realize I didn't put a life jacket or throwable back in after I picked it up from Koffler. I fess up and he writes me a warning.

15 minutes on the water
No fishing
Broken Anchor Nest
Lost strap
Broken Motor
No Net
Warning for no jacket or throwable
And an 85 mile ride home with my tail between my legs.

But...I'm still excited about my new set up for fishing a kid in the front and the other in the back.

Boat pic.jpg

E
eugene1
LOL.

Been there and done that.

Well not exactly there or even that, but at least you got back home... it could've been worse?

You'll get into some fish next time.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Believe me. The whole way home I was thinking, "this day could still get a whole lot worse". Glad it didn't.

eugene1 said:
LOL.

Been there and done that.

Well not exactly there or even that, but at least you got back home... it could've been worse?

You'll get into some fish next time.

T
troutmasta
That just means next time you'll catch a trophy ;-).

Rough day!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Not sure I'd willingly accept that day for a trophy but I'll take it.

troutmasta said:
That just means next time you'll catch a trophy ;-).

Rough day!

E
eugene1
Give Joe K. a call and see if he can somehow make it up to you (not that he's to blame, but still).

haha.

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
Not sure I'd willingly accept that day for a trophy but I'll take it.

4 trophies and springer then.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Jami just use Han's and My excuse, the water wasn't right! No Harm no foul........hehehe

Dana

jamisonace
jamisonace
You're right. The water wasn't the right color. All those fish I saw caught were snagged. LOL

EOBOY said:
Jami just use Han's and My excuse, the water wasn't right! No Harm no foul........hehehe

Dana

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Well at least you could row 20 feet to the bank, I had days like that 20 miles north of Marina Del Rey on the big pond but I am still alive!

C_Run
C_Run
At least it didn't involve bleeding.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Ouch! Some days just seem to go like that, but eventually they seemed to be followed up by a day where everything goes right.

By the way... if you ever have problems with your motor there, or don't have it along, you can always row up to the corner and just fish that little section where you hooked up with me. I had to do that the other day when I flooded my motor.