Eagle hatchery

B
birdlegs86
And, I was at the hatchery last year and was watching this feller fishing just below it, by the first house down river from the hatchery. When I asked him where the good spots were, he told me from the first house down river from the hatchery to the last house down the beginning of the trails from the hatchery, the water was something along the lines of "impassible" or something like that. I looked it up and called a few OSP Game Troopers I knew and they said the only thing they could think was if the water was passable by boat. I know it wasn't "Impassible water" but the term was something close to that. I figured, well hell, if this is a federal hatchery, then the normal level of vegetation growth on the banks would be the lines for private property. Any thoughts?

M
metalfisher76
EC is a NON NAVIGABLE stream, by OREGON definition. The land owners on most of Oregon waters own the land, under the water, half way across the crick/rivers. The Sandy IS navigable, by definition. There are others, but I don`t think any in the Ptown area aside from the Columbia and Willy.

Some of the folks in those cabins will not hesitate to prosecute:( Some of the folks on the Sandy will have you believe they`d do the same;)

B
bigdog
metalfisher76 said:
EC is a NON NAVIGABLE stream, by OREGON definition. The land owners on most of Oregon waters own the land, under the water, half way across the crick/rivers. The Sandy IS navigable, by definition. There are others, but I don`t think any in the Ptown area aside from the Columbia and Willy.

Some of the folks in those cabins will not hesitate to prosecute:( Some of the folks on the Sandy will have you believe they`d do the same;)

Very well put Damon

Irishrover
Irishrover
birdlegs86 said:
Well, this is all very interesting. So where is Dog Creek at? I've looked it up on Google but have failed to find it.
Dog Creek dumps into Fish Creek just above where Fish Creek dumps into the Clack.......it's up river fron the Carter Bridge. Used to be a great swimming hole.

F
fish4life
I was always told that dog creek is the creek that dumps in right below the boat ramp at Mcgiver park. There also is a hatchery at Mciver park. isn't fish creek on the upper clackamas, they havnt let hatchery fish go above cazedero dam for Quite a few years now, only natives.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
fish4life said:
I was always told that dog creek is the creek that dumps in right below the boat ramp at Mcgiver park. There also is a hatchery at Mciver park. isn't fish creek on the upper clackamas, they havnt let hatchery fish go above cazedero dam for Quite a few years now, only natives.

Must be more than one Dog Creek. The one I was thinking of is up by Fish Creek. The funny part is the next creek up is called "Pup Creek" and the next one is "Cat Creek" . No joke! And your right there is no fish hatchery up there. So must be Two Dog Creeks.

Y
youngbuck307
U can walk the clack too

M
metalfisher76
youngbuck307 said:
U can walk the clack too

Not according to Oregon State Law bud.

Chetco
Columbia
Coos
Cocuille
Jon Day
Klamath
McKenzie
Rogue
Sandy
Snake
Umpqua
and the Willy

BUT, none are navigable their entire length.
Now, the list is from `07, but I haven`t heard of any more streams being classified, recently. I could have missed it? I`d like to see it:think:

Y
youngbuck307
One of the ones I have never had a problem with. Seems to me if u can run a sled up a river I should be able to walk the bank...and I have a feeling a court wouldn't fight u too hard on that.

N
NoobTooner
i gotta admit, even the fall run was pretty disheartening. ODFW better wake up before there's nothing to share with my grandkids... or MY kids for that matter.

B
birdlegs86
I agree with you senor youngbuck. From what I've read on several of the state websites, the state Attorney General has not issued a final ruling on the rules. The supreme courts from the 1860's to the 1930 ruled that any state that came into the Union that had navigable waters automatically became state public property and therefore could be used by us..and joe schmoe. But the question is if EC is navigable. If you could throw a sled, canoe, or a small raft in it and the sucker floats, then it is navigable and public. That's what I've read about so far.

B
beaverfan
birdlegs86 said:
I agree with you senor youngbuck. From what I've read on several of the state websites, the state Attorney General has not issued a final ruling on the rules. The supreme courts from the 1860's to the 1930 ruled that any state that came into the Union that had navigable waters automatically became state public property and therefore could be used by us..and joe schmoe. But the question is if EC is navigable. If you could throw a sled, canoe, or a small raft in it and the sucker floats, then it is navigable and public. That's what I've read about so far.

No you have to be able to safely float down the river/creek in said vessel. A raft will float in an inch of water with no one in it. There is no way in hell the stretch of creek by the hatchery down well passed eagle fern would ever be considered navigable.

O
osmosis
The law also says "at average flows" or something to that effect, and in average flows kayakers don't even do EC - They do in fall and winter high water though.

The Clackamas is not listed as federally navigable either, so you Could get in a mess by a crazy landowner.

Last edited:
B
bigdog
osmosis said:
The law also says "at average flows" or something to that effect, and in average flows kayakers don't even do EC - They do in fall and winter high water though.

The Clackamas is not listed as federally navigable either, so you Could get in a mess by a crazy landowner.

Hey look who is still with uslol How you doing Alen? You should give me a call sometime been awhile man.

CJ

S
Scowboy
A question, I read in the history here a post about EC hatchery being a federal hatchery in support of native fishing rights? I don't see how that would work out....

Also, even though I don't like any reduction in any of the spieces production, I do not see why there are 2 hatchery ops on the Clack system. As mentioned here it's not open for bank fishing, nor is much of EC. If I am going to pay for a hatchery I want to be able to fish that water body.

Make no mistake, the only reason the NW Steelheaders fought to get the Sandy reclassified is because it ISN'T passable and they wanted access (which I do enjoy). It's not even close to being as navigable as the Clack....and better than that, why haven't they gone after the Clack?

Y
youngbuck307
Wow lol this site makes my head hurt some days.... Lol

H
halibuthitman
shade tree lawyers.... just fish.. when the law comes.. leave peaceably, and as far as hatchery fish.. the state has no idea where the next roll of toilet paper is coming from.. let alone funding-

M
metalfisher76
Scowboy said:
A question, I read in the history here a post about EC hatchery being a federal hatchery in support of native fishing rights? I don't see how that would work out....

Also, even though I don't like any reduction in any of the spieces production, I do not see why there are 2 hatchery ops on the Clack system. As mentioned here it's not open for bank fishing, nor is much of EC. If I am going to pay for a hatchery I want to be able to fish that water body.

Make no mistake, the only reason the NW Steelheaders fought to get the Sandy reclassified is because it ISN'T passable and they wanted access (which I do enjoy). It's not even close to being as navigable as the Clack....and better than that, why haven't they gone after the Clack?

Hold the phone.... no one said "it`s not open to bank fishing". The topic is NAVIGABILITY (again, I might add). There is a TON of water to be fished on both systems.

M
metalfisher76
youngbuck307 said:

that`s what I saidlol

B
bigdog
youngbuck307 said:

That's not the site doing that.