Drifting the Clackamas

S
STEELseeker4086
I just recently purchased a drift boat and was considering a few different floats on the clack. if anyone has any experience please help me with your opinion on which float would be the safest, what class rapids I will encounter with the river around 11 to 13ft around this time of the year, or even obstacles to look out for like sharp bends or down trees and rocks? I have been on a few guided trips but have very little experience rowing a boat especially in a river. Thanks for your help!

Carver to Riverside?

Barton to Carver?

Lower McIver to Barton?

N
nativefish
watch out for the cliffs up around the corner from carver. They will most definitely sweep you under if you get pinned against them. The rest of the float is pretty easy. Just hug the inside corner when you go around the bend. The cliff is well marked with caution stay away. I would consider dabney to lewis and clark on the sandy for your first adventure. That is a faily easy float with no major obstacles.

O
osmosis
Ok so from barton to carver, the wall above carver is the worst spot - and is very easy to avoid.
There are two other corners that it you aren't watching might give you a scratch on the paint when you are new(Riffle below Tomans is one of those due to inability to dig the oars in the shallow water).

Carver to riverside, there is nothing technical - and some good water.

I agree with the post above me, the dabny float is as easy as it gets locally and is a good spot to learn how your boat handles.
Youtube and google drift boat handling tips.
Remeber to point the bow at what you DONT want to hit and pull back, whereas in a kayak you point where you want to go and push.

In the origional post, you are listing the clackamas floats from easiest to hardest.

over 12' the feldheimer or mciver float is easy once you are comfortable rowing.

S
STEELseeker4086
What's the highest river level that's considered safe to float the clack.? Or does each drift have different ideal and or maximum river levels? Do you know of any safer floats near the coast? I do know of one but I don't want to drive to far. Trask? Wilson? Nestucca? Nehalem? or any other of the tillamook tributaries?

Last edited:
L
LawyerBob
I'd highly recommended picking up a copy of "Fishing in Oregon: The Complete Oregon Fishing." It provides maps of the various rivers and discuss their put-ins, take outs and popular drifts.

Otherwise, speaking from limited experience, the lower Wilson has been a rather safe 6-8 hour run. You'd put in at Mills Bridge and take out at Sollie Smith. The put-in is just the side of the river in relatively slow water, so you'll need to be careful. The take-out is a steep concrete ramp just above a bridge, so be sure to know where it is and get over there to line it up well in advance.

I think 4.5’ or so is the cut-off to run that stretch without having to walk the boat through parts. Likewise, I wouldn’t recommend it when the water is up over 2000 cfs, as missing the takeout could become a problem. The river forks in a few spots at lower levels and you have to look it over before deciding—while always keeping an eye out for fallen trees and/or overhanging branches. Some of the currents will take you right into them if you approach them wrong.

O
OnTheDrop
x2 on Carver to Riverside...Granted there isn't too much difficulty on the Clack this is by far one of the easiest...This river fishes good up until 14.5-15.0 so if it's higher than that I wouldn't even worry about going out...

O
OnTheDrop
STEELseeker4086 said:
What's the highest river level that's considered safe to float the clack.? Or does each drift have different ideal and or maximum river levels? Do you know of any safer floats near the coast? I do know of one but I don't want to drive to far. Trask? Wilson? Nestucca? Nehalem? or any other of the tillamook tributaries?

Nestucca and Wilson have some super easy floats. I agree with getting a new edition of the Fishing in Oregon book....

W
waco
My first time ever been in the oars in the river was on the Clackamas from Barton to Carver and I didn't see it dangerous at all!
Another book you could get is Oregon river maps and fishing guide that includes boat launches how hard is to boating it, best river levels! I like this book!
P.s. I need to get a copy of the fishing in Oregon!

O
osmosis
My .02 on river level for the clack.
If the water is 12ft or above and fish are in, expect dozens of (or 40) sleds beating you to the best spots, and running all over hell all day and eating the wakes. It's part of how that river works, so don't get upset by it.
Drift boat use on that river in my honest opinion is best reserved for when the water is too low for the jet pumps.

The dabny motor deadline is convenient for that exact thing, as well as many similar set ups on the coast.