Help me pick a boat!

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
My wife and I have been using a pair of secondhand whitewater inflatable kayaks for the past 5 years or so. While they’ve served us well, they’re both from the 80’s and it’s time for them to be retired, as they don’t hold air like they used to. That said, I’m looking for recommendations on a replacement.

Most of our boating is in the form of floating the Willamette and McKenzie rivers, so looking for something that can handle class 1 & 2 rapids at least. But we’re also wanting something that can have a motor attached to it to go scoot around the lakes in the area, too. I’d rather get one boat that’s large enough for two people, gear, and maybe a dog, rather than two separate kayaks again.

What would folks here suggest for something that fits that bill? I’ve been looking at the Flycraft stealth 2, and the Dave Scadden Dragonfly Xt2, mostly due to the fact that they’re inflatable, which would be nice for loading in our RAV4. I wouldn’t mind a drift boat, though I’m awful at backing up a trailer.

I’m open to suggestions. What haven’t I thought of?

Oldhammer
Oldhammer
The seaeagle 380x could work. It is adequate for everything you mentioned but not outstanding in any area other than portability. I own one and have done everything you have mentioned. I love it other than when the wind picks up! pm me if you have questions.
https://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks/380x

Reactions: FairweatherFisher
Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
I have had two driftboats - both with motors - good enough to putt around the lakes but great to chase smallmouth on rivers = I also have a dog and he likes it also, The older I get tho I really appreciate the sled boat - less stepping over seats etc and definitely more comfortable......The backing thing is fixable - just practice and learn to use the mirrors.....good luck

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Brad said:
I have had two driftboats - both with motors - good enough to putt around the lakes but great to chase smallmouth on rivers = I also have a dog and he likes it also, The older I get tho I really appreciate the sled boat - less stepping over seats etc and definitely more comfortable......The backing thing is fixable - just practice and learn to use the mirrors.....good luck
When you say sled boat, are you meaning a flat bottom Jon boat? If so, how does that fair on the rivers? I’ve heard those are really only good for flat water.

O
Oregunner
You must not be from around here. 😀 Sleds and Jet Sleds are aluminum river boats, made by North River, Alumaweld, Willie Boats, etc. Easy way to spend $50,000-$100,000, for a 18-20’ boat. They are made for big rivers, and can handle white water.

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Oregunner said:
You must not be from around here. 😀 Sleds and Jet Sleds are aluminum river boats, made by North River, Alumaweld, Willie Boats, etc. Easy way to spend $50,000-$100,000, for a 18-20’ boat. They are made for big rivers, and can handle white water.
Thanks for the info. That’s cool as hell, but way outa my price range. Any idea how those inflatable dinghys manage on rivers? I see those online for about $1500, and I’m certainly intrigued by them, just not sure how they’d perform for what I need.

Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
I have had about 5 "sleds" from 12 foot to 18 feet - not usually dolled out that much - but took awhile to know what I personally wanted - I fly fish so I wanted plenty of room to cast and not much on the floor - that said I looked for a few years to find a bare bones flat bottomed boat - 5k - then added a 50HP motor - 5k - - but the best boat for what I need - I also still have my drift boat for skinny water -

Find what you like fishing or doing then that will dictate what kind of boat you need/want ...everybody seems to love their boat and everyone has an opinion... just saying

Stuey503
Stuey503
I own 7 scaddens
3 outlaw avengers xx
2 X5
2 skykomish sunrise
All very good boats that I would recommend. We float the umpqua a lot in the summer and also attach trolling motor to hit the lake in these boats and they do great. I use the avengers the most by far because when i run with a solo frame I can have 2 storage decks and when the wife wants to go with I just add another frame to the front and remove a storage deck from the back. I highly recommend these boats but the only downfall with them is dealing with dave scadden himself. The man has always gotten me my boats when I order but sometimes it's a mess. Have had a few boats from him where everything doesn't show up and you have to stay on him about getting everything that is included. With that being said his boats have never failed me and he has always gotten me everything but definitely not in a timely fashion. My advice to you is get a framed boat if you go scadden and if you order from him to make sure you give yourself plenty of time before you want to use it. Or a clack drift boat would be my recommendation to you sir.
20190718_121914.jpg

Reactions: Casting Call, FairweatherFisher and Vintageflyguy
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
If storage and towing aren't an issue then I would go the hard sided route. Such as a flat bottom, sled, or drift boat. A drift boat would probably be my first choice, as they will do everything that you are asking for without needing a motor. I don't particularly enjoy trying to row sleds or flat bottoms in most scenarios. They aren't to hard to find in the used market for under $5,000 with a trailer and you can always look at adding a motor later if it isn't included. The resale value of hard sided boats is usually higher as well. Which isn't a hill to die on, but something worth considering. A drifter in the 16'x54" realm is enough room and them some for you, your wife, a dog, plus any kit you might take along.

Now if towing and storage is an issue then I would highly recommend something like what Stuey503 suggested.

Reactions: Casting Call
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
TheKnigit said:
If storage and towing aren't an issue then I would go the hard sided route. Such as a flat bottom, sled, or drift boat. A drift boat would probably be my first choice, as they will do everything that you are asking for without needing a motor. I don't particularly enjoy trying to row sleds or flat bottoms in most scenarios. They aren't to hard to find in the used market for under $5,000 with a trailer and you can always look at adding a motor later if it isn't included. The resale value of hard sided boats is usually higher as well. Which isn't a hill to die on, but something worth considering. A drifter in the 16'x54" realm is enough room and them some for you, your wife, a dog, plus any kit you might take along.

Now if towing and storage is an issue then I would highly recommend something like what Stuey503 suggested.
Unfortunately towing, and even more so storage, are issues with the vehicle and space I have. That’s why I’m particularly interested in inflatable options, like the Scadden and the flycraft. @Stuey503 ’s review of the boats themselves matches what I’ve read/seen elsewhere, and sounds like it’s perfect for what I want. Of course, it’s a little disappointing to hear that company is such a PITA to deal with to get what you actually paid for….then again, the flycraft equivalent is over $1000 more.

Reactions: Casting Call
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
@FairweatherFisher glad you have narrowed it down. Those inflattables are pretty neat. You will have to post up some photos when you get something all set up.

S
slabjig
My willamette river boat is a 14 foot Lowe Big Jon jon boat with an 18 hp Evinrude jet drive. The Willamette is not an outboard friendly river because of all the shallows and gravel bottom, although I see guys on it all the time with conventional prop driven motors. This is not a true white water boat, but the Willamette below Eugene isn't a white water river, just lots of shallows and gravel bars. IDK what this setup would cost in current dollars, Evinrude/Johnson is out of business, and small jet drives are not common (I believe Mercury sells a 25 hp one), but on the other hand, it's not going to cost what a true whitewater sled would run you either. It takes some tweaking to get a jet drive mated to a jon boat, the intake of the motor has to be just below the bottom of the boat, and typically the transom is not the right height for that, so a "jack plate" has to be fabricated for it. The dealer who sold me my package had that done for me. It's a 1995 package, and I think I had around $6000 in it in 1995 dollars. Still have the outfit, it's great for pulling up on a gravel bar, or sneaking up tribs of the Willamette like the Long Tom to do a little bass fishing. Plus if you're trying to get into shallow areas that are wadeable, you can just get out and pull the boat behind you because it's so light weight and draws so little water
lowe big jon.jpg
johnson jet drive.jpg
(which I've done to get into some of the areas like the Kiger Island channel). I've got an electric trolling motor on it too and it's a very versatile boat, just very rough riding in any significant lake chop, and it's definitely not a bay boat.​

Reactions: Snopro and FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
slabjig said:
My willamette river boat is a 14 foot Lowe Big Jon jon boat with an 18 hp Evinrude jet drive. The Willamette is not an outboard friendly river because of all the shallows and gravel bottom, although I see guys on it all the time with conventional prop driven motors. This is not a true white water boat, but the Willamette below Eugene isn't a white water river, just lots of shallows and gravel bars. IDK what this setup would cost in current dollars, Evinrude/Johnson is out of business, and small jet drives are not common (I believe Mercury sells a 25 hp one), but on the other hand, it's not going to cost what a true whitewater sled would run you either. It takes some tweaking to get a jet drive mated to a jon boat, the intake of the motor has to be just below the bottom of the boat, and typically the transom is not the right height for that, so a "jack plate" has to be fabricated for it. The dealer who sold me my package had that done for me. It's a 1995 package, and I think I had around $6000 in it in 1995 dollars. Still have the outfit, it's great for pulling up on a gravel bar, or sneaking up tribs of the Willamette like the Long Tom to do a little bass fishing. Plus if you're trying to get into shallow areas that are wadeable, you can just get out and pull the boat behind you because it's so light weight and draws so little water View attachment 639452View attachment 639453(which I've done to get into some of the areas like the Kiger Island channel). I've got an electric trolling motor on it too and it's a very versatile boat, just very rough riding in any significant lake chop, and it's definitely not a bay boat.​
Now that’s interesting. I like the Jon boat style, as I’ve heard they’re very stable for standing in, and obviously a go-to for waterfowl hunting (which I’d like to use the boat for too). I’ve just read that they’re generally not good for rivers, due to the amazing of drag on the bottom which can make them sketchy in some currents/eddies. Scraping on the gravel in shallows, and big rocks that appear here and there were also worries I have that have made me write of Jon boats. Sounds like you’ve had pretty good experiences with it though?

Towing and storage would still be concerns, but it does open up more possibilities. Jon boats seem to be generally a bit less expensive than drift boats as well, which is a plus.

S
slabjig
Jon boats certainly have thinner bottoms than river sleds, you wouldn;t want to be banging them into boulders, but the Willamette isn't that kind of river...just rounded gravel bottoms, and I've had no problems with dents or punctures in my (27 year old) boat. When it's up on plane, only the back third of the boat is even touching the water, and it probably draws no more than an inch or two of water when planing, with the jet drive intake drawing another inch or so. . I've never hit anything when on plane, it's when you slow down to avoid perceived issues like shallows that you can get into trouble...it's kind of a no guts, no glory sort of thing. It's definitely not a white water boat though, if you hit a really solid boulder at speed, I'm pretty sure the bottom of the boat would be unhappy. Not sure what you're referring to about drag on the bottom...the boat pops up on plane very easily and as I said, most of the bottom isn't even in the water. What they don't have is a keel, if you try to make a sharp cut, they kind of slide a bit because they don't really "grip" the water. no keel and no outboard lower unit with prop and skeg. Another idiosyncrasy is plugging the intake grate...either with rocks if you stop over shallow gravel with the motor running, or weeds if you run up into weed beds. Plugging with rocks is pretty easy to deal with, just shut off the motor and most of them fall off, weeds is a bit more of a hassle. Small rocks that go through the intake grate can ding the impeller blade a little bit, but easily filed out, unlike hitting gravel with a propellor. Another oddity is poor steering at low speeds, especially with remote steering which is why I prefer tiller steering (I've had both). I kind of think of this boat as my Willamette river "Jeep", it will pretty much go anywhere from Harrisburg to Portland and up tributaries like the Long Tom. There is no one perfect boat, and for ocean, and bay (and to a certain extent, big lake) use, I have other more suitable boats.

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Well, I finally got a boat. I followed @Stuey503 and got a Scadden. Caught a double whammy if a deal the day before Thanksgiving. I called in and bought a new-in-box “show demo” model Dragonfly XT3 at a discount, and got free shipping through the Black Friday sale. All in all $1900 shipped to my door.

Well, it arrived today, and the boat box says Dragonfly XTC Pro Guide, and that’s also what the MCO says…yet my receipt says XT3. Whatever, no complaints from me! Opened it all up and put it together to get familiar with it. Didn’t pin it all or strap on the frame, but nevertheless it does look like I’m missing one pin, easy enough to source though.

I’m pumped about it, and can’t wait to get it out in the water! At 12.5 feet, my wife is convinced it’s too big, and for the 3-4hr river floats we do, she might be right. I figure we’ll just have to do more boating, and I think we’ll be glad for the size when we take it out on the lakes. Speaking of, I was pleasantly surprised to find it has a detachable skeg, so it shouldn’t blow around too much on flat water.

Here’s a pic of it as I had it “mocked up” in the living room. There is a 3rd seat, but as there’s just the two of us, I set it up in 2 seat configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: beavis, TheKnigit, Vintageflyguy and 1 other person
Casting Call
Casting Call
You could not have made a better choice. Let us know how your first outing goes. GL Tony