Did a little exploring

J
john montana
Found this guy...
31102d7d.jpg
The water is till pretty cold and high, but my buddy david and I hunted around and found a few fish. I landed 9 and david put six in the net. All fish took a green soft hackle.
c6331675.jpg
The key was finding shallow, softer bottomed water. With everything so cold the fish congregated in places that were a few degrees warmer. We didn't find a ton of fish, but it was nice to have a little action...we need some sun!
ef4b6df2.jpg

S
steelhead1
So awesome! Dude take me fishin!

brandon4455
brandon4455
x2! nice fish!!!

F
FlyBum
I don't know......I may have to give it a shot some time?? :) My other buddy wants me to go bass fishing with them. I asked which shirt I should cut the sleeves off of?

J
john montana
Couple more pics...release shot:
487e4aac.jpg

Small fish:
87c8a24c.jpg

Pray for sun!

bass
bass
That really looks like a blast. Those are some nice looking fish (probably not too many people think that). The water looks pretty clear. Do you have any idea what the water temp was?

J
john montana
Temp was probably in the high 40s to low 50s...pretty cold still.

H
Hendo30
Great pictures, thanks for sharing...Never fished for Carp myself but hope to one day. Looks like fun and some good weather.

V
Van
FlyBum said:
I don't know......I may have to give it a shot some time?? :) My other buddy wants me to go bass fishing with them. I asked which shirt I should cut the sleeves off of?

lol.

I am hitting the John Day for two days of small mouth fishing first weekend of May. This will be our second year going out with Steve Flemming of Mah Hah Outfitters. Hopefully the river wont be running at 7300cfm like last year.

Nice looking fish John. You do damn well fishing when there are not supposed to be any.

J
john montana
We got kind of lucky van. We were blanked (as in not even seeing a fish) and we literally saw a carp jump as we were driving to a new spot. Got in some water we would have skipped to see what was up and found a decent stack of fish. That said, I know where I would be this week if the sun comes out. you should try to get out there.

V
Van
The carp are gonna see Mike coming at them and kick it into high gear and haul @$$ for the depths...

M
MikePierce170
Hahaha they should. But you'd be surprised how un-threatened a fish is when you're in the water trying to be one of them. Many of them actually become curious and try to investigate what the hell you are. And lets face it people, fish are stupid... they bite hooks :lol:

Van said:
The carp are gonna see Mike coming at them and kick it into high gear and haul @$$ for the depths...

J
john montana
I would run from mike even if he wasn't carrying a spear. I have seen the dude fight...

G
Green_Tackle
John! Man, thanks for you posts and blog. Been doing a lot of research on carp fly fishing and it's always you that comes up. Love it. Great photos too. I rarely have time for full-day fishing trips anymore but I've seen some carp around Kelly park here in NoPo which is about 15 minutes from me, and Sauvie isn't too far either, so I'll be giving it a try this year. You're posts provide valuable insight and inspiration.

Cheers!

J
john montana
Good luck man! Mplenty of carp in those areas!

V
veilside180sx
I'm always shocked when people pay to fish the easiest river in the state to catch fish on. (not trying to be condescending...really am curious)

Why not just rent a boat and go at it alone?

Van said:
lol.

I am hitting the John Day for two days of small mouth fishing first weekend of May. This will be our second year going out with Steve Flemming of Mah Hah Outfitters. Hopefully the river wont be running at 7300cfm like last year.

Nice looking fish John. You do damn well fishing when there are not supposed to be any.

B
bigsteel
veilside180sx said:
I'm always shocked when people pay to fish the easiest river in the state to catch fish on. (not trying to be condescending...really am curious)

Why not just rent a boat and go at it alone?
I would guess he likes to fish with a guide,doesn't seem like a big deal to me:think:

S
steelhead_slayer
Wow nice fish. The size of those beast has got my interest

V
veilside180sx
bigsteel said:
I would guess he likes to fish with a guide,doesn't seem like a big deal to me:think:

I'm just going to assume you haven't fish the JD. It literally is a river where you can toss anything in the water and get bit. (I've caught them on licorice, gummy worms, cherry sours, etc that I was just goofing off with)

Many other rivers...guides are necessary if you don't know the river system...the JD...not so much.

J
john montana
I'd hire a guide for access to a boat.