Did a little exploring

R
rippin fish lips
john montana said:
I'd hire a guide for access to a boat.

I would to!! There is nothing wrong with going fishin with a guide, and paying them so they can make their living!! I have about 4 guided trips planned for next year already. It is a good way to meet another fisher person(s) and find new ways of catching the species you are targeting.

V
Van
veilside180sx said:
I'm always shocked when people pay to fish the easiest river in the state to catch fish on. (not trying to be condescending...really am curious)

Why not just rent a boat and go at it alone?

Because we dont want to. We like this guy/guide. He is a great fisherman and very knowledgeable. He knows the river like the back of his hand and he has access to private take outs. So we get to return to my rv at the end of each day instead of setting up a camp along the river. We get to spend more time fishing this way. If we took a boat with us, that would also mean less time fishing for who ever is manning the oars.

While it may be an easy river to fish, finding the big fish isn't as easy. It is certainly easy to boat 100+ fish in the middle of summer, but that isn't the case this time of year.

Going with a guide isn't for everyone and frankly it isn't something i do very often. However, for us on this river at this time of the year, with our schedules the way they are it makes the most sense.

V
veilside180sx
That's a fair response. My biggest out of there is about 5 lbs but you do have to weed through plenty of dinks in the process. I've fished next/passed him almost every year and he seems like a nice enough guy.

If you don't enjoy the time on the sticks...then it makes perfect sense since that river requires a lot of it.

I'm going at the end of June again for my annual trip running Service Creek to Clarno.

Van said:
Because we dont want to. We like this guy/guide. He is a great fisherman and very knowledgeable. He knows the river like the back of his hand and he has access to private take outs. So we get to return to my rv at the end of each day instead of setting up a camp along the river. We get to spend more time fishing this way. If we took a boat with us, that would also mean less time fishing for who ever is manning the oars.

While it may be an easy river to fish, finding the big fish isn't as easy. It is certainly easy to boat 100+ fish in the middle of summer, but that isn't the case this time of year.

Going with a guide isn't for everyone and frankly it isn't something i do very often. However, for us on this river at this time of the year, with our schedules the way they are it makes the most sense.