Dexter catfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G
grampa ron
Has anybody heard of any large catfish in Dexter?

F
Finneus Polebender
There are large brown bullhead , no true cats that I know of.

R
riverman1
grampa ron said:
Has anybody heard of any large catfish in Dexter?

Have fished dexter for about 3-4 years now,and have not caught any catfish sorry to say. As the other gentleman said there are bull heads, pikeminnows,trout,smallmouth,and have heard of late, walleye. Hope this has been of some help to you....

R
radiation
I think it's a little to cold for catfish.

R
riverman1
radiation said:
I think it's a little to cold for catfish.

I fished it till the warning came out about the algae. The last temp I can recall was around 58 degrees,maybe 60. When the algae arrived, I was gone. Its a great place to fish,just need to know the water.

T
Ttrolling
I've heard of catfish and bullheads at the next lake up the road called Lookout Point Lake, but not at Dexter. News to me. Dexter seems to be a great small mouth bass and trout lake though. Riverman1, what are you hearing about walleye in dexter or lookout point lake? I heard the same rumor, but no confirmation and no pictures. I bet the size of Lookout Point Lake could support walleye, but not Dexter. That could devastate the bass and trout populations there.

F
fish man sanders
same here i have only caught trout, small and large mouth bass, in Dexter lake but in look out i have heard that there is catfish. but yet still no sight of walleye.

R
riverman1
I hope to be picking up the 12 ft. boat tomorrow. This should give more access to those trout, bass, and I hope walleye and those silly pikeminnows, they will give a good fight tho. I wanted a 12 ft as this way no trailer to worry about. Where do you think the catfish would be hanging out? When I try for trout, A friend used to launch from what we called 6 mile on the north shore. But from what you were saying, the walleye and crappie are at the upper end, I will launch from the upper launch off of 58. A show on TV on walleye had the guys using A lure called Stop Sign they run in the $4.99-$5.35 price range. They use it more for ice fishing, but who knows.

T
Ttrolling
The ramp on hwy 58 is closed, so unless you expect to launch at a point somewhere else you may run into difficulty. Congrats on the 12'r. I don't know about this time of year for catfish, but last fall I had results near the dam on the north shore with believe it or not floating trout powerbait. Do you know if walleye bite this time of year? I can't wait until the Spring arrives.

R
riverman1
yes Walleye hit in the winter, in some of the northern states they do great ice fishing. There may be a, time of year when they hit more ,like just before winter or in the spring,just before spawn? The launch I was thinking about is up by the Hampton siding of the Union Pacafic RR. Wow they closed that, maybe they will open in the spring. Some of the places they close during the winter. I think a person needs a Federal Parks pass for that launch? but I have a life time one. Floating trout bait for cat's that's the first for that one to me, I totallly believe it tho, they will eat just about anything.

T
Ttrolling
Yes, they do close the Hampton boat ramp in the Winter, but they open it back up in the Spring time.

C
catchallthefish
I have fished Dexter most of my life sad to say i haven't Eaten any of the fish since the very first blue green algae bloom i only do catch and release even when bloom is in effect there use to be tons of 13 to 16 in rainbows but since they started doing the fishing derby by dumping in the tagged Northern pike minnows they have basically decimated the trout population there are still trout out there most of them are under the lookout dam below the army-corp building ive pulled out about 50+ this year down there and also caught a 2 1/2 foot copper/gold fish thought it was a carp due to the mouth but with research i found that it was a red horse sucker fish extremely common... but there ARE carp! landed a smaller 1ft 1/2 along with a few small mouths 8-14 inches
as far as cats go i caught a little bull head when i was a kid and it was about 9 inches i used a rooster-tail at the docks where my boat was moored in the marina slips so there are bullheads in dexter

R
riverman1
Checked with ODFW today and found out that during the Pike Minnow Derby,(BlackBerry Festival) when the tagging is done , none are dumped in. Only those that are already in the lake are tagged. I enjoy fishing Dexter and have done so for quit a few years. I'm sure I have not fished as many years as catchallthefish and have respect for the knowledge he has. It's a great lake to fish, just need to know and understand it, and that takes time. "Tight lines to all".

C
catchallthefish
sorry riverman1 i didn't specify im not to good with this grammar thing! ya they don't continuously dump pikeminnows every year.. and for fish they tagged . there few and rare ....really rare...they have eluded me i partake in the derby during the black berry jam festival every year. i rack up some numbers in pounds in the bank fishing category . them darn minnows i went down this evening a caught me a nice 14 and he was probably the best fight ive had out one of them in a while he got airborne several times very awsome

Status
Not open for further replies.