Dexter lake with kids

L
LingFace
Where is the best bank accessible fishing for stocked trout on dexter lake? I’ve got a nimble 10 yo so we don’t have to fish from the wheelchair access.

kemfish
kemfish
That easily accessible spot on the causeway may be as good as anywhere, just don’t limit yourself to the paved portion. There’s a nice 10-15 deep flat straight out that’s between two deeper channels heading under the bridges on either side. The trout seems to like cruising this. Once a couple stockings have happened there’s usually a good bunch of fish to be found.
I’ve had zero luck fishing off the dam and haven’t tried any other spots. In my kayak I usually fish down the south side, troll back and forth off the causeway (which is where I catch the most fish) then head back maybe hitting a couple spots where I found a fish or two on the way out

Reactions: troutdude and LingFace
L
LingFace
We fished just north of the parking area and each child caught one. There were a lot of parasites on the skin. Is that a hatchery issue or is it the lake?

kemfish
kemfish
All the what I think are hatchery fish planted this year that I’ve caught have looked at little ”rough”. This is from three lakes including Dexter. The holdover trout from a couple lakes In the same region have looked okay. I think hatchery life can be tough so the fish normally look a little beat up and that same rough conditioning can make them more susceptible to other issues. I can’t remember the fish condition from last year.

glad you got a couple. They’ll continue to build up there as more and more get stocked. Fishing should be good through May at least. don’t know how independent your young fishing partners are, but spread out as much as you can looking for them And move if you aren’t getting any action after a bit.