Detroit Lake update

F
fish face
According to the news (channel 12 10:00 PM) Detroit Lake has rising 20 feet in two days. Portland my not like this rain, but I'm sure the small town of Detroit don't mind.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Actually, the folks in Detroit and all through the Canyon are on edge right now. The Santiam Canyon is just as vulnerable to landslides and falling trees as anywhere in the state. Not to mention the million dollar homes along the lake shore. The lake is filling, slowly, but not like the news is reporting. No one has seen any tv crews in the area since it started raining. You just can't trust everything you hear on the boob tube. :thumb:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
bass said:
You can see the rise here:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/u...d=7&begin_date=2015-11-18&end_date=2015-12-09

Looks like more than 20' since it started raining and still rising fast. I am sure with enough rain to make that happen that folks are definitely edgy. Hopefully folks will be OK.
Well, I guess that will teach me to listen to the local drums. My information came from a Detroit resident, I think I trust your source more. I apologize, [MENTION=4069]fish face[/MENTION]. :blushing:

F
fish face
You are still my favorite Raincatcher. I will say though that I haven't thought about the landslides in the canyon. That is got to be a serious issue. Hopefully everybody will be okay.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
fish face said:
You are still my favorite Raincatcher. I will say though that I haven't thought about the landslides in the canyon. That is got to be a serious issue. Hopefully everybody will be okay.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to not worry too much, but I live 100' up the side of a mountain that has lots of trees, bears, deer and cougars. I'm hoping none of them come sliding down into my place. :sad:

hobster
hobster
Raincatcher said:
Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to not worry too much, but I live 100' up the side of a mountain that has lots of trees, bears, deer and cougars. I'm hoping none of them come sliding down into my place. :sad:

Sounds beautuful, i am jealous. At least we are getting some breaks in between the storms, think positive :thumb:

W
wils
Raincatcher said:

Just leave the front and back doors open and they'll just slide right on through. :D
But seriously. I hope that the hillside above your house is well vegetated.

F
fish face
Round three coming up. Be careful everybody!

T
troutmasta
Its up 34 feet, thats a lot of water!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
It has been wild out here! The Santiam River has gone from a sluggish, nearly trickling stream to a raging river in the past two weeks! Trees are falling everywhere, bank erosion is nearing the critical stage in a lot of places and still, I love living here. While I haven't been to the lake lately, I am sure the level has to be high enough I can no longer walk out to the island. Unlike so many other rivers which are flowing chocolate, the Santiam is more of a light green but, like I said, pretty close to raging. With more extreme rainfall coming, it will be interesting in the coming days/weeks.

C
Choptech
The lake has came up along way in th last couple weeks. Looks like the winter ramp is in water again!

F
fish face
Another punch is coming Monday. Prepare.

G
Gannon
Any word on lake level's? I'm hoping to check the lake out soon in my canoe.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The lake is well over 80% full, maybe closer to 100%. I say go for it!

C
Choptech
Raincatcher said:
The lake is well over 80% full, maybe closer to 100%. I say go for it!
80%-100%? maybe for this time of year, when I was at the cabin up there last weekend it wasn't even close to being 80% of full pool. The lake had barely reached the Breitenbush arm and wasn't even close to hitting the Hoover arm but it is looking far better than this time last year and is easily boat-able now. The winter ramp is back in the water and usable.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Choptech said:
80%-100%? maybe for this time of year, when I was at the cabin up there last weekend it wasn't even close to being 80% of full pool. The lake had barely reached the Breitenbush arm and wasn't even close to hitting the Hoover arm but it is looking far better than this time last year and is easily boat-able now. The winter ramp is back in the water and usable.
You're absolutely right and I should have clarified it was based on the norm of this time of year. Thanks for your input.

C
Choptech
Raincatcher said:
You're absolutely right and I should have clarified it was based on the norm of this time of year. Thanks for your input.
ya I figured thats what you meant just figured I would clarify. I am stoked to get out on the lake and fish this year and am also excited about the river above the lake being open all year now too. should be a good year for Detroit!

G
Gannon
Stoked! Hope the lake gets back to normal for the summer.