A below average season for the high lakes so far

H
HikerHunger
I almost exclusively fly fish small lakes that are up in the mountains, that have self-sustaining fish populations or are stocked infrequently. This year has been a pretty crummy season so far, and I'm wondering if others who fish lakes like these are experiencing the same thing. Places I would normally consider to be honey holes are seemingly devoid of fish. Barely any rises, and not a lot of action. I'd chock it up to a bad day, but it's been happening at almost all of my usual spots. I think that the heatwave last year killed a lot of fish off. Anyone else having similar experiences this year?

Reactions: Fish_bot9000
G
Gulfstream
That really sucks

O
olshiftybiscuits
Most lakes above 4K feet seem to have experienced some degree of a winter kill. I don’t believe it had to do with the heat wave, but rather the extremely dry summer we had followed by cold, long winter. The water levels were abnormally low heading into the cold season, and lakes that normally stay relatively warm froze through. I’ve heard pretty much all the high elevation hike-in lakes appear to be empty, and a few others like Clear Lake up on Mount Hood were empty for hike-in anglers before the road cleared and the ODFW truck showed up with stockers.

Reactions: Casting Call
H
HikerHunger
That makes sense. For the lakes where I actually saw some rises, I hope they will eventually recover.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I fished Diamond twice earlier this year and ended up with a whopping two fish, one each trip. Not good.

H
HikerHunger
What's your typical haul there?

H
HikerHunger
Update: I went to another one of my spots this weekend and had success. It was about as good as last year. This lake is above 5000ft and is supposedly about 20 feet deep. The other lakes I tried this season were between 9-15 feet deep. Deeper alpine lakes are probably the best bet this season, I would say.

Reactions: Smellsfishy, olshiftybiscuits, Ultramepps and 3 others
O
olshiftybiscuits
HikerHunger said:
Update: I went to another one of my spots this weekend and had success. It was about as good as last year. This lake is above 5000ft and is supposedly about 20 feet deep. The other lakes I tried this season were between 9-15 feet deep. Deeper alpine lakes are probably the best bet this season, I would say.

That’s great news to hear!

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
My typical haul at Diamond is 6 to 10 fish for two people and that is after I go on the lake at around 8 and fish to about 11 ish. I usually dont keep anything under about 14 inches but rarely get anything 20 inches or more. I stop fishing around the first week of July. Then sometimes again in the fall.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Diamond Lake Charlie said:
I fished Diamond twice earlier this year and ended up with a whopping two fish, one each trip. Not good.
I agree Diamond Lake is not as good as it once was, I heard they quit stocking the fingerlings in the fall like they used too. I am afraid the Browns and Tiger trout will also feast on natural smolt like they do the chub, but this is just my thought no proof at all.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Oh ya, they stock the fingerlings at the south end and the browns and tigers congregate and have a feeding frenzy, well at least that is kind of what I saw last fall. We caught a nice 24 inch tiger, but had to toss it back. The idea of using the aggressive trout was a good one but I do believe now it has gotten out of control. But that will happen, just like the chubs and shiners. Just like the trash fish something needs to be done to bring the balance back. I have fished Diamond since about 1956 and this kind of thing happens when the tree huggers get out of hand. I heard that the shiners were checked and were from one area in California, sure wish that would not happen. I did see one time a few years ago, a fisherman cleaning his fish in one of the fish cleaning stations and he had several fish and none of them under 20 inches, he was doing his best to get them cleaned and the heads off before he got caught.

Last edited:
Reactions: HikerHunger and Bo Peep
O
olshiftybiscuits
Anyone know why the water clarity has turned to complete garbage on Laurance Lake? It’s so silty you can hardly see a foot.

S
Snopro
Hot weather causing glacier melt into the clear branch. The Hood looks almost white.

They still bite.

O
olshiftybiscuits
Snopro said:
Hot weather causing glacier melt into the clear branch. The Hood looks almost white.

They still bite.

That won’t be good for the bulls if it lasts long.

S
Snopro
If glacial run off is the cause I wouldn't worry about it. Bulls have evolved over eons to inhabit many glacial rivers.

You've got me curious. I might drive up today and take a look. Did you take any pictures?

S
Snopro
Just snapped a pic of the Hood. I bet Laurence was this color.

20220810_160958.jpg

tastybrookies
tastybrookies
I prefer the more secluded high mountain lakes as well, and had a similar experience this summer chasing Brook trout. Hiked into Spirit, Gander, and Blue Lakes, all near Oakridge, and didn’t get a single bite! Same experience camping at Blair. Still glad I fished those lakes though, because I’m pretty sure all of those lakes except Blue went up in flames in the Cedar creek fire. Best fishing was Bolen lake in June, but thats way down by Cave Junction

H
HikerHunger
tastybrookies said:
I prefer the more secluded high mountain lakes as well, and had a similar experience this summer chasing Brook trout. Hiked into Spirit, Gander, and Blue Lakes, all near Oakridge, and didn’t get a single bite! Same experience camping at Blair. Still glad I fished those lakes though, because I’m pretty sure all of those lakes except Blue went up in flames in the Cedar creek fire. Best fishing was Bolen lake in June, but thats way down by Cave Junction
I'm glad you got to see those places before the fire. So far, I've been lucky these last couple years. None of my favorite spots have been burned. Yet.