Old Town PDL 106 0r 120?

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
1109273_primary.jpg

I've settled on an Old Town PDL kayak for coastal lake fishing, but I'm not sure which model to purchase, either the 10.6 ft or the 12 ft model. I run about 190 lbs on a good day, and I have a low enter of gravity, so I don't think stability is an issue. Based on what I've figured out from the specs, the only real difference is the storage advantage another 18 inches provides. Obviously, the weight will be greater on the 12 footer, but in general, I don't think that will be a problem for me.

What other advantages would either model offer, that I'm not seeing? Hopefully, some of you kayak experts have to offer insights I'm missing.

Mark

Last edited:
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I have buddies who own and use both.

If/when you decide to upgrade to a motor, it seems like there's way more aftermarket accessory options for the 12

I've always felt somewhat claustrophobic in old towns, they make a really strong hull but you are pretty restricted on deck layout.

The 12 offers more space for storage given the layout is already kinda tight

How are you transporting? Car topping? Trailer? Truck bed?

Reactions: LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
I'll be using a pickup to transport, but much of the time it will be stored, ready to use, at a neighbor's dock. The extra 18" will prove to be some extra length in the pickup bed.

I would like some extra onboard space, so that is definitely a plus.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I would definitely go with the 12 personally.

Would probably be an easier resale as well

I haul my 12.5 Nucanoe in the bed of my Silverado with a 5.5' bed no problem

Oldhammer
Oldhammer
You can’t really go wrong with either. If you plan on fishing from it year round and every week/day, I would get the 12.5. The extra few feet go a long way in performance, storage, and deck space. If you are fishing every now and then and want to save some money, the 10,6 will be fine. I have the Bigwater 132 and love it. It is a tank on land but a dream in the water. I have a tacoma with a 5.5 bed and Yakima extender that handles it with no problem. Check out after market stuff made by Nick at navarrekayakfishing.com.

kemfish
kemfish
I have the PDL 106 and like it. I SUV top carry it and the little less weight makes it easier to get up there and easier to handle once I have it off the vehicle. I could probably still manage the 125, but 106 is easier. I feel I have enough space up front. In back I often have a crate and small cooler. Couldn't bring my crate and a medium sized (35l plus) hard cooler. I haven't found myself limited in where I can fish with the smaller kayak, but I have gotten off the water once due to conditions. I also want to try getting in the salt with it, but am hesitating with the smaller craft.

My opinion, if you can physically handle the size/weight and it won't limit you getting into or around the waters you fish, get the larger one. Opens up more options.