Crooked River and eventual redemption

L
lilsalmon
Jeanna and I hung out at the Crooked for a couple days. Jeanna arrived on Wednesday and proceeded to get into fish...I arrived early on Thursday and set up camp. Jeanna sooo out fished me! She did great! We fished a few places, mainly right at camp cuz it is good water. We went to one place and waded across the river and went up the trail with me in the lead as snake chaser (hmmm, I was always in the lead, never mind the webs I walked through).hehe. Last time I was there we got tons of fish...not so much this time. I think it had something to do with no swallows present on the cliff side. The fish like to eat their dropped goodies. We had a good time. Jeanna wet waded, next time she will probably bring waders. I wet waded too but not too much, I had waders :tongue: This morning Jeanna again got into fish, I did not. So on the way home I stopped at my special place on the Santiam. I quit at 17 fish.....what a great way to end a most enjoyable trip. Thanks Jeanna for hanging out with me and letting me hold your rat sack. I didn't wash my hands after...hahahahahaha.

some pics:

Camp
9325474300_69cd47e467_z.jpg
9325475350_fe14fdeeee_z.jpg

Jeanna's fish
9325473902_a04fa70b38_z.jpg
9322680139_0b913a6a56_z.jpg
9322682385_8120c6d7cd_z.jpg
9322682613_21b1cfd1d3_z.jpg
9325476080_d43820595e_z.jpg
9325475020_0b3378c657_z.jpg
9322681487_f21df3edf7_z.jpg

my Crooked fish
9322681227_bbc2d0f806_z.jpg

my Santiam fish
9322679961_06979c6e42_z.jpg
9325473096_7f66a75f92_z.jpg
9325472892_95cb920bc2_z.jpg
It is hard to hold big trout with one hand...just sayin'

All fishy's used in this thread were released safe and happy, even the hatchery fishy's......

S
steelhead_slayer
Can't beat being out on the water

J
JeannaJigs
Had a great time. Thanks for being my snake lookout LOL. I didn't get out of the river very often lmao. Those damn things can swim though, so everytime the green crap floated by and touched my leg I had a mild anxiety attack LOL. It was a good time. I'm glad you got to touch my ratsack. Not many people can say that. Baha. I will post pictures that I have shortly...While pretending to be busy at work.

Reactions: lilsalmon
L
lilsalmon
steelhead_slayer said:
Can't beat being out on the water

so true!!

J
JeannaJigs
Oh yeah, and I'm never leaving home without waders again. It was fine after the 90 degree sun warmed up the water, but in the morning and evening, holy painful frozen toes. "It's going to be in the 90's, I don't need no stinkin' waders (literally, they stink like chinook)" Pfff. It's not 90 in the morning :(

J
JeannaJigs
Here's some photos off my phonez

View from where my tent was
null-13.jpg

My wilderness condo
null-16.jpg

Li'l bowski
null-15.jpg

The green slime flotilla. That stuff is seriously gross. Not cool wet wading and having that stuff touch your leg!
null-17.jpg

Rose left me to fend for myself. At least I couldn't hear her flotant shaker that sound remarkably like a rattlesnake when she gets into it.
null-18.jpg

null-20.jpg

null-30.jpg

Bow
null-22.jpg

Deer
null-29.jpg

This tree was my sunburn salvation
null-31.jpg

null-27.jpg

RATSACK
null-26.jpg

Bowie
null-25.jpg

Dusky
null-34.jpg

These things are so much more fun than rainbows, I could catch these all day long and not think about trout once.
null-33.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Looks like a great time. You two unsupervised on a river surrounded by wildlife, including rattle snakes, hobo spiders and other creepy crawlers make me wish I had a remote camera set up somewhere close. With audio, of course...priceless! :lol:

L
lilsalmon
Raincatcher said:
Looks like a great time. You two unsupervised on a river surrounded by wildlife, including rattle snakes, hobo spiders and other creepy crawlers make me wish I had a remote camera set up somewhere close. With audio, of course...priceless! :lol:

hehe...we did so good!!! No accidents, no running through brush screaming, etc. It was a quite enjoyable trip.

Jeanna did great on the fly rod....quite good. She ordered 90 flies when she got home.

Welcome to the dark side...hahahahaha

J
JeannaJigs
lilsalmon said:
hehe...we did so good!!! No accidents, no running through brush screaming, etc. It was a quite enjoyable trip.

Jeanna did great on the fly rod....quite good. She ordered 90 flies when she got home.

Welcome to the dark side...hahahahaha

Well actually...there was a deer....deer are not scary creatures, but one made me scream. The people camped down the way were looking at me like wtf? You see the first night I did not sleep because of friggin coyotes. Then when I finally nodded off for less than an hour, a deer nosed my tent and all I saw was brown and it scared the bejeezus out of me. The next day the rainfly went on cause I didn't want to see what was happening outside my little cocoon.

I know. Sad.

Im pretty proud that neither of us had any injuries though.

T
TimberTodd
That looks like a great trip.

troutdude
troutdude
You guys are hilarious! Thanks for a great report, and some good chuckles!

O
OnTheFly
Epic! Nice colors on those fish. Can't wait to get out of my rut and do some fishing.

J
JeannaJigs
OnTheFly said:
Epic! Nice colors on those fish. Can't wait to get out of my rut and do some fishing.

Let me tell you I have been in a serious funk and this was exactly what I needed. I literally fished ZERO days in June. June is typically my busiest month in the summer chasing springers, and I didn't. Not once. Rose and I were supposed to meet up with someone to fish and that fell through and i literally just sat on the bank doing nothing while rose fished lol. I didn't care. Now I want to fish again, and things are as they should be. I go through phases when the the runs are crap like this winter and this spring and I just call it quits lol. So it's good to get back to the basics. Nothing is more relaxing that fly fishing for trout. Until your back gives out 'cause you're chucking a nymph rig that's too heavy for you're weak little rod, for way too long. It's still good stuff.

L
lilsalmon
OnTheFly said:

Jim, we are planning a November trip.....you should come. I know how you love the brisk morning air...hehe

S
Sinkline
Great job girls! Excellent report, photos, and some beautiful fish! Congrats Jeanna on your new found flyfishing skills!

F
FlyBum
Good to see the Crooked is back!!

L
lilsalmon
Fishing would have been better if they had not released water :protest:

S
Spydeyrch
WOW!! Nicely done there you two. Congrats!! Sounds like a phenomenal trip. I will have to remember to bring extra dry shakes if ever I fish with Jeanna (rattle rattle rattle, shake shake shake, hehehehehehe) The 50 ft jump would be EPIC!!! hahahahaha :dance: :lol:

Those are some nice fish you have there. :clap:

Great report and thanks for sharing.

Take care and enjoy!

-Spydey

J
JeannaJigs
spydeyrch said:
wow!! Nicely done there you two. Congrats!! Sounds like a phenomenal trip. I will have to remember to bring extra dry shakes if ever i fish with jeanna (rattle rattle rattle, shake shake shake, hehehehehehe) the 50 ft jump would be epic!!! Hahahahaha :dance: :lol:

Those are some nice fish you have there. :clap:

Great report and thanks for sharing.

Take care and enjoy!

-spydey

evil.