Creamed corn n corn meal @ Devil's Lake

T
tonym
I only managed to land one. They kept breaking my 10lb test line soon as they were close.

My little brother got one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
flocaster
Nice. How many did you guys hook into? And are those the grass carp that are c&r only?

C
cowboysfan
Nice to see you Guys landed a couple,it is always a heartbreaker when you break OFF!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
tonym
Couple of locals told me it was illegal to keep them. The regs definition of take is "to kill reduce to possesion or control." pretty sure that means not to angle for them. Guess I made a booboo. We hooked into about 10 of them...

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
tonym
They were fun in a very disappointing way. They would put up a good fight for about 3-5 minutes and then roll over, belly up and I'd have to drag their dead weight in until about three feet out where they would flip over and take off breaking my line.

I
igquick
Dude! How did u catch those! Ive been trying for fuking ever and I am really irritated about it, had nightmares about it no joke....please save me the pain and tell me ur specific rigs you used...

Im not planning to keep any of them by the way since they are illegal

Last edited:
T
tonym
Barbless single hook. Blend creamed corn with corn meal and corn starch until it is good and doughy then toss it on the bottom however you like.

I
igquick
tonym said:
Barbless single hook. Blend creamed corn with corn meal and corn starch until it is good and doughy then toss it on the bottom however you like.

Thanks for the reply...what size and type of hook did you use? Circle hook or j hook? And did u use any sinkers or swivels?

Whenever they had my weightless size 12 treble with the doughbait, they would spit it out before I would try to set the hook...I was also using. Swivel...

I noticed they were very spooky. When I added weight or my size 6 hair rig dough boillie they would get scared

T
tonym
Size 6 j hook no swivel 1/2oz of split shot in a tight group about two feet up. Keep it simple. I was in the shallows by the big houses so I could watch them pick up the bait then set my hook right away.

I
igquick
SWEET!!! thanks for the advice...I'll have to try it some time...anyways if u want any advice on fishing for commons, let me know

I
igquick
so I'm about to hit up Devils Lake this weekend, and ironically these russians gave me the rest of their corn doughbait....I set up all my stuff and got these polarized glasses...can't wait!!!!!

B
bfloyd4445
those fish have become a problem every place they were ever planted!

J
john montana
They are loose too. The wdfw and Odwf claim the grass carp are sterile and contained in land locked lakes, but I see them regularly in the Columbia and willamette. I don't think they can damage the river habitat, but it is another lesson to leave mother nature alone. Landlocked lakes, and the white Amure is out and loose in the rivers. Never introduce a species to solve a problem.

Grass carp are a completely different species than common carp.

I
igquick
Just caught a 20 lb grassy woohoo!!!!!!!

T
tonym
Nice job. They put up a good little fight before playing opossum eh?

I
igquick
Lol you know exactly how they fight...it was really cooperative, like tying my dog to my fishing pole and reeling it in...was that you going intertubing with ur fam I saw this morning?

T
tonym
I'm actually camping on brittenbush with my girl right now. Plan to fish my way back to Salem in the morning

I
igquick
Sounds awesome....we c and r some more and had a blast, except we used sweetcorn...Im sure john Montana would kill it with a fly rod maybe?