Creamed corn n corn meal @ Devil's Lake

J
john montana
Grass carp are tough on artificials...plus it is illegal to specifically target grass carp in both OR and WA, which means no go for me on the fly. I would have to sight fish to specific fish to have any hope for success, and that would pretty well define targeting one! I have caught two...one in FL and one in the big C. They are early hard to catch. Congrats on your fish, look forward to some pictures.

I
igquick
john montana said:
Grass carp are tough on artificials...plus it is illegal to specifically target grass carp in both OR and WA, which means no go for me on the fly. I would have to sight fish to specific fish to have any hope for success, and that would pretty well define targeting one! I have caught two...one in FL and one in the big C. They are early hard to catch. Congrats on your fish, look forward to some pictures.

Posting pics and vids of me catching them is a bad idea since they are illegal yea? I swear I read some article that said the grassies were supposed to die out a year or two ago but they havn't which is fine by me lol...

A really funny thing about the people that fish and live around there, is that I could tell everybody secretly wants to fish for them even though they know these rules lol

they were REALLY hard to figure out but these tactics worked well with whole sweetcorn....I see were you get the adrenaline from fly fishing carp, you see an oversized fish slowly approach the bait, and then the anticipation seems like forever,and once he sniffs it in.....BAM settting the hook and ape crap all over...they may not be the biggest carp I ever caught, but man o man sight fishing is incredible...but one we caught was over 3 feet long!! I could see him clearly being 20 feet away and the depth was prob 7 feet deep...

I
igquick
In case u guys r wondering, common carp are at least 3 times stronger than grass carps...grass carp def took me a while to figure out but it doesn't even come close to a common.....20 lb grassy with an 8 lb leader equals 5 minute fight, 19 lb common equals running all my 8 lb test or dangerously hauling it in resulting in a 10 minute fight and a broken reel

T
tonym
Broken reel? Hmmm I think the carp in walling pond are common and they looked to be about three to four feet long. Maybe it's time for me to whip up some more dough bait and put my ugly stick to work...

I
igquick
Just comparing a common and a grassy by weight....the grassy we caught was 20 lb and the closest 20 lber I cod remember was my first common which was 19 lber and broke my zebco reel...actually I remember my second being 20 lbs flat and I was using 8 lb test and took 10 minutes with a more expensive reel, but this time he broke one of thoze circle things on my rod...I got a lot of crap on a UK forum for posting pics of it cuz of the scars it had, how high I was holding it, and discrepensies on weight....although for all the pics they post, they shove the fish right in front of the camera, u could tell how big their hands r in the pic lol....I think pics can be deceiving cuz the 15 lb grassy we caught looks bigger than the 20 lb grassy because of poor shooting angles thanks to my little bro hah...off a tangent sorry

Im goin to look up that walling pond u speak of....and nice steely u got there, it must of been a fighter

F
flocaster
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of any place I can try my hand at carp fishing near Florence? I know they are all over in the Eugene area but I'm hoping for something a little closer

I
igquick
I wish I knew....but damn ur right about the Eugene area, although the ones I saw could of been grassies bcuz of their length

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
I
igquick
That I saw at Eugene was the first time I saw carp and I was like 11 years old and by lookint ino the water hey seemed to be as large as I was...I could easily tell the difference now, and its really funny when people mistaken them for huge bass or salmon...whats ur ethnicity?

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
I
igquick
I thought u wrote ur family culture ate carp but I read wrong lol