Crazy question for all the rod builders

H
hunt-fish-trap
I travel a lot to fish. I have always been a huge fan of the travel rods. now my question. Is there any way that a two piece rod can be made into a 4 piece travel rod? I understand that it would probably shorten the total length of the rod and I do have a lot of rods that could be sacrificed for the cause. Just a thought, as money is tight and a decent travel rod is 100 plus.

orrrrr, am I just crazy?

H
hunt-fish-trap
well the thought was there. if I was looking for a 10-20lb line weight rod with a med action what weight fly blank should I use. I am completely stupid on the fly subject. its just that the travel rods out ther are mostly 7'6" and im looking more for the 9-10ft range. I just got the anglers workshop catalog. and THERE IS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH STUFF!

troutdude
troutdude
Sounds like you need an 8 or 9 wt. rod blank.

There are guys on here, that can build for you. Might be worth a try.

Be careful on craig's list and what not. Many of those builders use CHEAP components, and "seconds" for blanks. There is a guy in McMinnville, that I can probably put you in touch with. I got a couple of hand built Fenwick's from him, and love 'em.

But, there is at least one guy on here that can help.

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, I know where there is a Reddington 9' / 9wt. / 4 piece rod w/ reel and line right now, for $159. I think that's a pretty good deal, for the price.

It's in Albany at a pawn shop.

H
hookbait
steelhead_stalkers said:
You want your rod to load up similar to the picture below. See how its a consistent bend in the rod even where the ferule is?

I think SS just wanted to show us all his sweet action pic again! Bonus points for make'n it super relevant though.

R
ryan808
Look at the Batson (RX6) F908-4 or F909-4, its decently priced. Give Utmost Ent a call and they'll hook you up with a price less than retail. Being on a limited price range, you can't go wrong with those blanks.

F
fish4life
what kind of travel rod are you looking for casting spinning. If it is for casting I have a g loomis escape 8'3" 10-17# 3pc travel rod for sale comes with rod tube. Rod has only been used once and is in near perfect condition, a good buy at $175 think they retail for $355.

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. You're right. He didn't exactly say what type of rod he wants to build. Just that he wants to use a fly blank. Guess you can scratch my suggestion for that Reddington fly rod! DOH!

H
halibuthitman
I think this could be done rather easily with spigot ferrules-

Chromatose
Chromatose
First thing you have to know is "How Blanks Are Made" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJaYd6DsMqY&feature=related ............................ Yes you can surely cut one size smaller for sections, Stuff each piece into another and call it a travel rod. I am not going to go into all of the problems that this will have. But what happens when you get a big tug on your line and the rod literally explodes from the weak and split area on the weakened cut, Or just crack into a line riddled mess. Surely you would not want to lose the fish of a life time just because, now would you? You say you have a few rods laying around to use. Might it be better to just sell your excess and buy a travel rod? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=4+piece+fly+rod+4+wt&_dmd=1&_frs=1&_sop=12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359 ,,,,,,,,,,,,Or maybe build it!!

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I know this might sound lame and I might get a few snickers...would those collapsible rods work? I keep one in my van for spur of the moment urges, but only use it for trout. I've had it for years and years, but they must have sturdier ones out by now...just a thought.

H
hunt-fish-trap
I will elaborate. when I turn 40 ,in a year and a half, I am planning a trip to Alaska. With all the costs of freight going up and up travel rods seem like a great answer. I am on another forum as well( Alaska stuff only) and with plane rides costing 550 plus freight. it adds up quick. I am in the market for all three travel rods fly,spin, and bait cast. I am driving most of the way then its ferries, planes and good ol' foot power. It will be the best and most expensive month of my life.

H
hunt-fish-trap
but I will add that I WILL come back with enough meat for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

H
halibuthitman
Just a piece of advice, I see more folks waste money on special rods for alaska, that they never use again. Every rod you use in your driftboat on the sandy will fish all of alaska great. space restrictions are something carriers use as a ploy to get you to make their lives easier.. screw them. I have crossed alaska, canada and siberia north to south, east to west, and never had smaller than a two piece rod. You can get 6 rifles 4 people gear for 7 days and a moose in most float planes... see if they can manage to get your two piece rod in there- save the money on rods for gloves and a mosquito net, a case of skin so soft, and beer... the only things you REALLY need out beyond the wire- Brad

H
hunt-fish-trap
thanks man that really takes a load off. It will be the trip of a lifetime