Coho on lite tackle

T
the salmon kid
me and a couple friends went up to chief hole by the hatchery and caught a couple of coho and steel head in the snow,,.still using the same bonker jigs and tried to set a personal record, of catching a coho on a 2 1/2 ft ultra lite with 6 lb test and guess what!!:)
after 5 failed attempts at landing one i finally managed to catch a nice 9 lb coho hen on 6 lb test line on a ultra lite crappie pole,., it took me almost an hour to fight and land it,
and in the end the fish was released to fight another day:D:D here are the pics
 
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go! Sounds like a blast...especially in the snow! Funny, fishing is the only thing I like to do in the snow...
 
brandon4455
brandon4455
that sounds awesome. nice fish bud! its fun to land coho on small rods.
 
T
the salmon kid
ya that coho felt like a whale on my little crappie pole and it was very cool to catch it on only 6 lb test
 
C
ClearCreek
the salmon kid said:
i finally managed to catch a nice 9 lb coho hen on 6 lb test line on a ultra lite crappie pole,., it took me almost an hour to fight and land it, and in the end the fish was released to fight another day:D:D here are the pics

After fighting the fish for almost an hour there is a good chance it will not survive to fight another day!! Lactic acid build up = latent mortality.

ClearCreek
 
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
ClearCreek said:
After fighting the fish for almost an hour there is a good chance it will not survive to fight another day!! Lactic acid build up = latent mortality.

ClearCreek
Thanks for sharing that info, I honestly did not know that. There is SO much to learn about this wonderful sport/hobby/addiction.
 
F
fishingfreak
Good Job Man that sounds like fun fight!
 
brandon4455
brandon4455
the salmon kid said:
ya that coho felt like a whale on my little crappie pole and it was very cool to catch it on only 6 lb test

i caught two bucks while trout fishing last year with a spinner on 6lb test and a 5"6 rod it sure is a blast. you should do it again and make a video LOL. i want to see that crappie rod bend.
 
B
BobbiDollPDX
ClearCreek said:
After fighting the fish for almost an hour there is a good chance it will not survive to fight another day!! Lactic acid build up = latent mortality.

ClearCreek

Seriously dude? Way to piddle on a kid's parade.
 
T
Thuggin4Life
Nice catch sounds like a blast. When trying to c and r fish its best not to were them out. salmon are dying and burning up energy they dont replace. so you make them spend a bunch of energy they need to make it up to the spawing grounds and send them on there way. no they might be to wore out to make the journey. it like driving a 100 mile trip with enough gas to go 110 but then you take a wrong turn and drive an extra 50 miles that weren't neccesary and wait you forgot your wallet so you keep driving anyways because you have to get there and guess what you run out of gas 40 miles from your destination. same thing for fish but instead they die.

Bobbie this kid does catch fish and seems to be good at it but has gone about it the wrong way several times. I will rain on his parade if he is doing something wrong. kid needs to learn these things. and i think he appreciates the critiscim that helps him become a better angler.

anyways again nice catch.
 
B
BobbiDollPDX
Thuggin4Life said:
Bobbie this kid does catch fish and seems to be good at it but has gone about it the wrong way several times. I will rain on his parade if he is doing something wrong. kid needs to learn these things. and i think he appreciates the criticism that helps him become a better angler.

anyways again nice catch.

And your post was a lot more gentle and carried the tone of an adviser rather than a critic.

I don't think there is any reason to drag someone down who thought he was doing the right thing, especially someone who is learning.

Teach them gently and they will appreciate it. Criticize and they might resent it.
 
W
waco
that sounds like fun!!! but... you should kept that fish!!! its going to dye anyways!!!
 
M
Mad dog
BobbiDollPDX said:
And your post was a lot more gentle and carried the tone of an adviser rather than a critic.

I don't think there is any reason to drag someone down who thought he was doing the right thing, especially someone who is learning.

Teach them gently and they will appreciate it. Criticize and they might resent it.

Maybe.....maybe not!

What was the point of using a 2 1/2 ft. rod?

If I was fishing the Chief hole and you thought you were going to tie it up for and hour fighting a salmon on a mickey mouse rod I would probably punch you in the mouth or throw you in the river!
 
F
FishFiddle
Hey, you are up there fishing in the snow when most 'light weights' are home stoking the fire and dreaming about it! I doubt that anyone was waiting for the hole on this day. I suppose next we will be after someone fighting one for half an hour or better on a 6 wt.?? I'm with Bobbi on this one.... Congrats!!
 
T
Thuggin4Life
Mad dog said:
Maybe.....maybe not!

What was the point of using a 2 1/2 ft. rod?

If I was fishing the Chief hole and you thought you were going to tie it up for and hour fighting a salmon on a mickey mouse rod I would probably punch you in the mouth or throw you in the river!

lol
 
H
halibuthitman
The reality of it is that odf doesn't really give a **** about native coho or steelhead, and I don't see the point in thrashing the kid for his rod.. ive seen tons of expirenced fishermen with loomis rods and hot shot reels who lacked the basic talent of being able to pull a fish upstream out of a hole, or fall back... the reality is in a river full of supposedly native and treasured fish... you are allowed to use Bait, barbed hooks and treble hooks, by the state... so who really gives a **** what this kid does for fun... the native fish issue in Oregon is a joke- Brad
 
T
Thuggin4Life
I have 800 in tickets for keeping a "native" trout that was gonna die anyways I caught trolling this summer in a reservoir where the stock the crap out of and have for years. OSP sure cares and the judge who raise my tickets sure cared. Don't forget this is the kid who held fish by the gills on c and r and also kept a fish with a huge adipose fin and somehow classified it as a miss clip.
 
H
halibuthitman
well, so ur sayin he's a dirty fisherman??? thuggin you know I care about the fish... it just gets old saying the same old **** everyday.... there is a sticky on this site for everything but ethics or fish handling... two of the cornerstones of being a true sportsmen.. and two subjects that no one ever agrees on... its opinion im told, so long story short... the kids a dirty fisherman and we should teach the way ... he's a pretty good catcher thought!
 
T
Thuggin4Life
Kinda seems like he just wasn't taught right. and your right not much info about all that but we got everything else under the sun.
 
P
Phil_Bud
BobbiDollPDX said:
Seriously dude? Way to piddle on a kid's parade.
I know BobbiDollPDX someone always does that...lol
 

Similar threads

S
Replies
3
Views
521
Senkosam
S
F
Replies
2
Views
715
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
M
Replies
5
Views
2K
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Top Bottom