Coho on lite tackle

P
Phil_Bud
Mad dog said:
It matters a lot Phil!

As few native coho as there are that survive the spawning trip up big Butte creek....It matters!
I dont think you understood me MAD DOG!!!
I was saying if he faught the damn thing for an hour... he wouldn't have known if it was a native or not until he got it to the bank! Or maybe 10 feet from bank...which was what? 50 minutes into the fight!!!....BY THAT TIME NATIVE OR NOT THE FISH IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE IT JUST FAUGHT FOR THAT LONG!
I AGRRE THAT THIS WAS A BAD IDEA TO DO THIS...HAD HE KNOW HE WAS GOIN TO GET THIS REACTION HE WOULDT HAVE DONE IT...OR ATLEAST POSTED IT...NOW BECAUSE OF OFF HE WON'T DO IT AGAIN.

P
Phil_Bud
the salmon kid said:
sorry if a offended any ones fishing methods, i really didn't know about the lactic acid in the fish,i handled it perfectly and it was out of the water for a couple seconds to get a picture and i revived it for a couple minuets before i let it go, and yes it was a native
i just wanted to challenge myself and see if i could accomplish catching a fish on lite tackle with barb less hooks,
i don't know if the fish died or not, i know for a fact that it swam a way fast
so,. Sorry about challenging myself and i will not take so long to fight my fish in i just wanted to see if i could do it ,
and i am open for any advice on what to do better, cause i am still learning ,
i didn't mean for this post to turn out this way, i was juts posting pics and reporting my fishing trip so
im sorry ,,. And i will improve
this post turned out great salmon kid....dont worry about it...you catch a lot of fish bud. Keep it up fish head! Keep the posts coming...if i could give a bit of advise...ask santa for a waterproof digital camera so the pix are better...u mainly use a cell phone right???

T
Thuggin4Life
Phil_Bud said:
I dont think you understood me MAD DOG!!!
I was saying if he faught the damn thing for an hour... he wouldn't have known if it was a native or not until he got it to the bank! Or maybe 10 feet from bank...which was what? 50 minutes into the fight!!!....BY THAT TIME NATIVE OR NOT THE FISH IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE IT JUST FAUGHT FOR THAT LONG!
I AGRRE THAT THIS WAS A BAD IDEA TO DO THIS...HAD HE KNOW HE WAS GOIN TO GET THIS REACTION HE WOULDT HAVE DONE IT...OR ATLEAST POSTED IT...NOW BECAUSE OF OFF HE WON'T DO IT AGAIN.

no worries the kid always seems to be posting a mistake he made. just helps him learn that much quicker. very bad idea but pobably was a blast. i once found some line in a gravel parking lot and a rusty swivel. so i illegal fished out of state with this line, a stick, and the rusty swivel as a hook using catelope for bait and caught probably 10 bluegill/sunfish looking fish in an hour or so. to bad there weren't and salmon nearby because i would have use the same set up.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Mentor someone...

Mentor someone...

the salmon kid said:
sorry if a offended any ones fishing methods, i really didn't know about the lactic acid in the fish,i handled it perfectly and it was out of the water for a couple seconds to get a picture and i revived it for a couple minuets before i let it go, and yes it was a native
i just wanted to challenge myself and see if i could accomplish catching a fish on lite tackle with barb less hooks,
i don't know if the fish died or not, i know for a fact that it swam a way fast
so,. sorry about challenging myself and i will not take so long to fight my fish in i just wanted to see if i could do it ,
and i am open for any advice on what to do better, cause i am still learning ,
i didn't mean for this post to turn out this way, i was juts posting pics and reporting my fishing trip so
im sorry ,,. and i will improve
Salmonkid;
You are taking this so well for getting your butt kicked so many times. I applaud your determination and patience with our over-protective attitudes at times. :clap: You will be a great representative of sportsmanship when you reach the apex of the learning curve. The best part is that you will also become a wizened teacher in the process. Keep fishing and growing in experience. :D
imfishing said:
Greetings all.

In all fairness, As long as it was hooked in the mouth and all that....Well more power to you.

Keep up the good work. Maybe try a stick or something else...I'm all about challenging ones skills.

That said....

I don't do bullies...PERIOD!!

I want to enjoy nature as with every one else on here.

but when another member of this learning environment starts going off like that mad dog did.

Something happens inside I can't describe it. It isn't me that mad dog would be fighting with...no sir/Ma'am.

I refrain from violent methods, per the county of multnomah and the district attourney.

Heck...I fish so I can remain calm. I am a changed man...I no longer see humanity as a threat...

I only want to get along with people and stay on my meds.....Thats what the man said.

I was only recounting my very vivid imagination and how it would look if that little feller came to my neck of the woods

and tryed to hit another fisherman for fighting a fish. Who is he to say how long is enough time to fight a fish.

It just stinks that we have to pay a kings ransom to fish and then put up with that...that attitude.

All chuckles aside....

I wish to apologize to the many members of this community, Some of whom I have fished next to.

I would like to apologize to any lurker whom by reading my words of violence and anger might be compelled to

take up his chainsaw and take down by force any and all fish bank bullies.

Sorry....Im just Sorry.
imfishing;
Thank you! :clap: I appreciate your apology and your calmer attitude. Impassioned fisher folk tend to over-react at times and it's perfectly understandable. Fish onnnn.....:cool:

Mad dog said:
It matters a lot Phil!

As few native coho as there are that survive the spawning trip up big Butte creek....It matters!
Mad dog;
You seem to be a treasured Oregon fisher folk. Why? Because you want to protect our fish and environment from the mistakes that naturally come with learning all the do's and don'ts of fishing. Let it be just that, learning. Become a mentor reaching out to help guide the newbies so they will pass on your teachings and experience. :)

OFF;
This is really what we all need, don't we? Mentor's are the true backbone of this sport. Without having someone willing to take the lead and show us the right way to build our skills and knowledge of proper Oregon fishing, it will only be a memory in the future.
Thank you all for Sharing & Caring so much! :clap: :clap:

T
the salmon kid
thanks to every one who commented on this post., like they said i am still learning,.
and for every new mistake, there is a new way of learning how to fix it,.,

yes phil_bud i have been using my cell phone cause i dropped my video camera in the river and now it doesn't work,.

every one please school me,. i am a still a student and everyone here is a teacher
i will learn from my mistakes and become a better more responsible sportsman

thanks for all the help

till next post ,.,. the salmon kid

B
beaverfan
the salmon kid said:
thanks to every one who commented on this post., like they said i am still learning,.
and for every new mistake, there is a new way of learning how to fix it,.,

yes phil_bud i have been using my cell phone cause i dropped my video camera in the river and now it doesn't work,.

every one please school me,. i am a still a student and everyone here is a teacher
i will learn from my mistakes and become a better more responsible sportsman

thanks for all the help

till next post ,.,. the salmon kid

Great attitude!

I will admit that when I saw some of your first posts on here I had my concerns about what your motives are. Like maybe you were one of those guys that doesn't care about nothing else but catching fish. The way you handled those issues showed me that you truly aspire to be a top notch angler and sportsmen, your well on your way bro!

T
tnffishman
wow, I can't believe this happened to SK again... I love fishing for coho on lite tackle. Towards the end of the run when the fish turn pooey I'll sometimes run a trout rod for them. But none of those fights have ever lasted more than ten minutes, and where I fish there isn't a very strong native return and the hatchery always gets hundreds of surplus fish. I guess what I am saying is that ya, you can fight a salmon on a ultralight, I've actually seen someone do it before, but I wouldn't unless you have no other pole and stumble across a bunch of fish. BUT FISHING IS MEANT TO BE FUN, that's why we buy the licenses and rods, so if you want to battle some fiesty fish go a lil lighter on your gear, but probably no that lite... Just my opinion on the topic... good luck out there everyone

M
Mad dog
Hey Salmon kid,

I publically appologize for being a LITTLE Harsh. Actually pretty uncalled for!

I'm sorry!

From what I have seen you are doing extremely well with the Salmon and Steelhead, you are figuring out these fish very fast! Keep up the good work!

T
the salmon kid
no need to apologize ,., every one needs some constructive criticism every now and again