Coho on lite tackle

M
Mad dog
Thuggin4Life said:
Kinda seems like he just wasn't taught right. and your right not much info about all that but we got everything else under the sun.

I thought I was pretty gentle by upper Rogue standards!

I've fished the Chief hole quite a bit.....seen my share of punch throwin', weight chuckin', pistol waving, fist shaking, ticket writing action to last a lifetime! Maybe I jumped the gun a bit.....5 minutes.....I'll bet one of those GOOD ole' boys would have cast over your line within 5 minutes and helped you release it before any physical contact occured! That's what I would do! 2-1/2 ft. rod get real!!! Even worse than the video of the fall Chinook spawner under the Toueville bridge!

Lesson over.....pretty gentle by upper Rogue standards!

P
Phil_Bud
halibuthitman said:
The reality of it is that odf doesn't really give a **** about native coho or steelhead, and I don't see the point in thrashing the kid for his rod.. ive seen tons of expirenced fishermen with loomis rods and hot shot reels who lacked the basic talent of being able to pull a fish upstream out of a hole, or fall back... the reality is in a river full of supposedly native and treasured fish... you are allowed to use Bait, barbed hooks and treble hooks, by the state... so who really gives a **** what this kid does for fun... the native fish issue in Oregon is a joke- Brad

??? Some of them might not care about them while they're at work...but if you are a fishermen YOU have to care about these fish...We've already drove them to extinction....we rely on hatchery fish today because people are ill informed....POST AND LEARN I GUESS...THIS IS WHAT THIS WEBSITE IS 4...fish on bud

C
ChezJfrey
Thuggin4Life said:
When trying to c and r fish its best not to were them out. salmon are dying and burning up energy they dont replace. so you make them spend a bunch of energy they need to make it up to the spawing grounds and send them on there way. no they might be to wore out to make the journey. it like driving a 100 mile trip with enough gas to go 110 but then you take a wrong turn and drive an extra 50 miles that weren't neccesary and wait you forgot your wallet so you keep driving anyways because you have to get there and guess what you run out of gas 40 miles from your destination. same thing for fish but instead they die.

Keep in mind, my question comes from someone not real experienced...

But given what you say, what is one to do about the possibility of hooking a fish other than your target? Do you change your tackle to improve the chances of survival in the case of inadvertently hooking the wrong fish? Here's what I'm wondering:

Suppose I'm targeting summer steelhead and from what I understand they can be prone to be leader/line shy and it might be best to go lighter...like say 6-8 lb. test. However, on some river systems like the Wilson, there is the possibility of a coinciding run of Chinook during a time they are disallowed (I think...from the regs as I understand them). If I hook a 20+ lb. Chinook, we run into the same situation where it takes considerable time to land and release on light line. What is one to do? Upgrade tackle for that possibility? Break off if the fish seems large, though it might be possible that an unseen fish might be a 15 lb. steelhead, instead?

Like I said, I've never angled for either, but plan to start with winter steelhead this season. I will continue angling for them throughout to spring/summer season as well, so I'm just curious about what would be best.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
ChezJfrey said:

But given what you say, what is one to do about the possibility of hooking a fish other than your target? Do you change your tackle to improve the chances of survival in the case of inadvertently hooking the wrong fish? Here's what I'm wondering:

Suppose I'm targeting summer steelhead and from what I understand they can be prone to be leader/line shy and it might be best to go lighter...like say 6-8 lb. test. However, on some river systems like the Wilson, there is the possibility of a coinciding run of Chinook during a time they are disallowed (I think...from the regs as I understand them). If I hook a 20+ lb. Chinook, we run into the same situation where it takes considerable time to land and release on light line. What is one to do? Upgrade tackle for that possibility? Break off if the fish seems large, though it might be possible that an unseen fish might be a 15 lb. steelhead, instead?

Like I said, I've never angled for either, but plan to start with winter steelhead this season. I will continue angling for them throughout to spring/summer season as well, so I'm just curious about what would be best.

Its open to inturpretaion. I would in i situation like you mentioned as soon as i released it wasn't a keeper I would try to land the fish a quick as possible with and released it as quick as possible trying to stress the fish as little as possible.

M
Mad dog
1 hour to catch a 9# coho over 150 miles from the ocean on a 2-1/2 ft crappie pole???

Who thinks this is a good Idea?

H
halibuthitman
ChezJfrey said:

if you are steelhead fishing and hook a chinook point your rod at it and break it off, if I were a trooper and watched you play a fish that could easily be parted off all the way to the hand.. I would ticket you. The answer to hooking a prohib species is always to break it off, I know.. lures cost money... you want to kill a fish to save $5..?

H
halibuthitman
Mad dog said:
1 hour to catch a 9# coho over 150 miles from the ocean on a 2-1/2 ft crappie pole???

Who thinks this is a good Idea?
the act was incrediably stupid and for show... and I doubt too many folks think it was a good idea, But apparently nobody there thought to inform him, plus what kind of examples do these tournaments using barbie poles for steelhead set? I say teach in what ever capacity you wish, and if torching is the style.... its your right.

M
Mad dog
halibuthitman said:
the act was incrediably stupid and for show... and I doubt too many folks think it was a good idea, But apparently nobody there thought to inform him, plus what kind of examples do these tournaments using barbie poles for steelhead set? I say teach in what ever capacity you wish, and if torching is the style.... its your right.

A 2-1/2 ft crappie rod for salmon fishing! Hmmmm.....Oh, man!!! Was it a native???

P
Phil_Bud
Mad dog said:
A 2-1/2 ft crappie rod for salmon fishing! Hmmmm.....Oh, man!!! Was it a native???
At what point did this fish even get close enough to the bank to tell if it was a native or not??? 50 minutes into the fight? didn't matter at that point anyways. right? lol

M
Mad dog
Phil_Bud said:
At what point did this fish even get close enough to the bank to tell if it was a native or not??? 50 minutes into the fight? didn't matter at that point anyways. right? lol

It matters a lot Phil!

As few native coho as there are that survive the spawning trip up big Butte creek....It matters!

I
imfishing
WOW!!!

There is so much violent anger in your harsh words. [Mad Dog is it].

I fished at least half of this last year on the sandy and the clack, I am sitting here amusing myself imagining

what would happen to you if you even looked like you were going to punch a fisherman down here,

let alone throw one of these mountain people into the river. Thats why every one thinks they need

to carry guns...I think that whole mentality is just plain ludicrous.

In fact thats exactly what I would expect from a little guy.

We call that little man's syndrome down here tough guy.

You get off on beating up kids trying to fish in public places....Pathetic.

Why don't you come down here and try that with a couple of my fishing buddies.

...Pathetic.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmmm,you all have valid points on this topic. Well, except for the "party invitation" from imfishing. :confused: We really don't favor that kind of dance,ya know. :naughty: A person can be taught so much more with instruction than a belt or screaming. So, I propose deep breathing while repeating..." it's gonna rain..it's gonna rain...it's gonna rain". :D :D

T
the salmon kid
sorry if a offended any ones fishing methods, i really didn't know about the lactic acid in the fish,i handled it perfectly and it was out of the water for a couple seconds to get a picture and i revived it for a couple minuets before i let it go, and yes it was a native
i just wanted to challenge myself and see if i could accomplish catching a fish on lite tackle with barb less hooks,
i don't know if the fish died or not, i know for a fact that it swam a way fast
so,. sorry about challenging myself and i will not take so long to fight my fish in i just wanted to see if i could do it ,
and i am open for any advice on what to do better, cause i am still learning ,
i didn't mean for this post to turn out this way, i was juts posting pics and reporting my fishing trip so
im sorry ,,. and i will improve

M
michigan_transplant
the salmon kid said:
sorry if a offended any ones fishing methods, i really didn't know about the lactic acid in the fish,i handled it perfectly and it was out of the water for a couple seconds to get a picture and i revived it for a couple minuets before i let it go, and yes it was a native
i just wanted to challenge myself and see if i could accomplish catching a fish on lite tackle with barb less hooks,
i don't know if the fish died or not, i know for a fact that it swam a way fast
so,. sorry about challenging myself and i will not take so long to fight my fish in i just wanted to see if i could do it ,
and i am open for any advice on what to do better, cause i am still learning ,
i didn't mean for this post to turn out this way, i was juts posting pics and reporting my fishing trip so
im sorry ,,. and i will improve

I gotta say that I am really impressed with you Salmon Kid. The way people treat your posts sometimes and you always come back with some classyness and not anger. Good stuff man. Your passion for fishing comes out in your posts, keep it up. And take what people say as a learning experience, some are just a little harsh with their words. I don't think there would be anything wrong with what you did if it was on a river where the majority of the fish are hatchery (alsea winter steel or santiam summer steel/nook) and you kept it.

Last edited:
I
imfishing
Greetings all.

In all fairness, As long as it was hooked in the mouth and all that....Well more power to you.

Keep up the good work. Maybe try a stick or something else...I'm all about challenging ones skills.

That said....

I don't do bullies...PERIOD!!

I want to enjoy nature as with every one else on here.

but when another member of this learning environment starts going off like that mad dog did.

Something happens inside I can't describe it. It isn't me that mad dog would be fighting with...no sir/Ma'am.

I refrain from violent methods, per the county of multnomah and the district attourney.

Heck...I fish so I can remain calm. I am a changed man...I no longer see humanity as a threat...

I only want to get along with people and stay on my meds.....Thats what the man said.

I was only recounting my very vivid imagination and how it would look if that little feller came to my neck of the woods

and tryed to hit another fisherman for fighting a fish. Who is he to say how long is enough time to fight a fish.

It just stinks that we have to pay a kings ransom to fish and then put up with that...that attitude.

All chuckles aside....

I wish to apologize to the many members of this community, Some of whom I have fished next to.

I would like to apologize to any lurker whom by reading my words of violence and anger might be compelled to

take up his chainsaw and take down by force any and all fish bank bullies.

Sorry....Im just Sorry.

H
halibuthitman
well now... that all panned out nicely... salmonkid, you are a pretty talented kid, and apparently open to learning.. you didn't have to apologize, cause it sounds like you learned something and thats all that matters...

brandon4455
brandon4455
no reason to apologize bro. everyone makes mistakes. ill admit i kept the wrong kind of salmon wheni was 12 and the guy at the bait shop told me to take off beofre a trooper saw it. but i said ill turn myself in. the trooper told me and dad the diff beteween a coho and a nook in detail and i never had the problem again.

C
ClearCreek
the salmon kid said:
i don't know if the fish died or not, i know for a fact that it swam a way fast....
and i am open for any advice on what to do better, cause i am still learning ,......and i will improve

Salmon kid - you say you want to learn - that is a great attitude to have!

If you google lactic acid and fighting fish you should be able to find some info. Fish will build up lactic acid when they are fighting on the end of your line. They can and do swim away and the angler believes the fish will survive. However, mortality can occur a day or two later.

There is a lot of info out there on catch and release fishing that encourages anglers to land fish quickly and as you know that is difficult to do with light tackle.

Good luck in your future fishing.

ClearCreek

T
Thuggin4Life
Have to agree with mad dog. Lots of fishing holes are like this across the state. I have seen people cut lines before. I personally avoid these types of holes. They wouldn't call it combat fishing if there wasn't ever any combat.

W
waco
Salmon kid you dont have to apologize to no body!!! specially those who think are perfect ones!!! i understand what you did was for fun and it was!!! but now you know whats the impact to the fish!!! anyways great job you will be a very succesful fisherman!!!