Coastal success

T
TimberTodd
Hit one of the coastal bays yesterday and had some success. Picked this one up about 30 minutes into the incoming tide. I had a seal pop up about 20 feet below me and 20 feet out. The fish hit only 8 feet or so from the beach. He only had time to roll twice before I drug him in before Mr. seal could get lunch. The wind was a good sustained 20mph. While tagging I lost contact with my license. My fishing partner found it in a shoe impression aways behind us (lucky). Thank goodness because a state trooper came down about 15 minutes later checking license and tags. On his way out he told me I had the only fish thus far. We called it quits about a half hour later. The wind was becoming brutal to cast into. On a side note why do beachcomers find the need to walk 3 feet behind you and stop paying NO attention to what is about to come their way. Its like driving, gotta double check those blind spots before casting. I meet Berg03 and purchased a few of his spinners last weekend. The 3 I used worked very smoothly. The one in the picture scored the silver. Surprised that there was at the most anglers at one time was 14. Yesterday was the second day of native coho retention.
IMG_0002.jpg

B
BaldTexan
Nice catch and glad you were able to deny the fur bag his free lunch. That is by far my most productive/favorite color spinner for Coho.

T
TimberTodd
There were 5 boats fishing in the mouth, one of which was a guide. One of his clients hooked up and a seal was on top of it. The fish was in a shallow spot and you could see it darting with the seal hot on its tail. There was all kinds of hollering going on in the boat. They did get it in. Not sure if it had any bite marks. I saw a total of 3 fish picked up by the boats.

B
BaldTexan
They do make it exciting! Haha. Dang sea lion was successful at stealing a chinook from me last Friday. There was a bit of hollering and fishing language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bass
bass
Great job on getting a fish to hit and doubly great on landing it!

Chromatose
Chromatose
:thumb:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Awesome! I hope to get mine soon!

Darn work.

B
Berg03
Glad you were able to get one on my spinner. Always fun to hear the gear you made worked well for ya. :) Still think its mostly the angler that caught the fish though.

C
coyo7e
Went trolling in the coos wednesday with my brother and a couple guys. We woulda limited out at 10am if my brother had any goddamn idea how to fight a fish.. But I got me some fish and 3/4 gallon of roe which oughtta last me a good while. Everybody got one fish, even if my brother continues to be a nincompoop..

S1XPO47.jpg

B
BaldTexan
Nice. Getting roe is always a nice bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
coyo7e
It was kinda funny because everybody at the cleaning station was throwing out their roe and fish heads and I was like "hey I can make some sweet fish stock out of a couple big salmon heads - and I'd loooove to cure some roe" and people who were cleaning near us just started tossing their roe to me. Five minutes later some sketchy dude showed up and kept trying to get my roe and to find out where we had been fishing... I said sorry I'm taking and curing all the roe, and he got on his phone with someone and started getting kind of sketchy leaning into the boat and eyeballing rods and rigs and stuff - I was concerned he'd swipe a rod, and he never got off his phone to actually let me share where we'd fished and with what (and honestly if he'd have gone out where we'd been when I intended to share it with him, he could've gotten the high slack and probably gotten one or two on cut herring plugs if the person on the other end of the phone had a boat over 14 foot - I saw everything but a washtub out there, even saw a pair of guys in a 14-16 foot dingy pull in two decent chinook and land them with a long handled TROUT net :D ).

If you want some free roe I'd hang out at the cleaning station near the D&D (whatever the bar is called by the cleaning station) in reedsport. People just indiscriminately throw everything to the gulls and seals and if you aren't really weird and skeezy-seeming, I am pretty sure an hour sitting around would net a half gallon or more of roe if you show up after a decent bite. Most of the guys with boats trolling have no interest in using their roe because they are fishing herring and flashers.

I'm super stoked because I've got a gigantic jar of roe which ought to last me all of next year unless I give it away for Christmas or something (which I may do, I know a few folks who spend a lot of money on store bought roe, and who I owe a fishin' favor or two..)

I
Iki Jime
Thanks for the top, Coyo! I'll try that sometime when the fishin is slow.

I
Iki Jime
Eating salmon heads? With chopsticks? Are you Asian? Lol.

The last Coho that I caught was also only the second salmon ever for me. I wanted to waste as little as possible. So, after filleting it, we used the caucus and head for stock. My girlfriend threw in some eggplant from our garden and it turned out delicious!

We ate the cheeks and some other parts of the head with chopsticks that Noriko showed me. Both flavor and texture was different.

Guts and leftovers were buried in our garden :) All of it was used, just like the native Americans did.

Reactions: rogerdodger
I
Iki Jime
*carcass

M
montym
Just curious, what's your ethnicity? I am from India, and for me probably the head is the best tasting part of the fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I
Iki Jime
Half Japanese, and my girlfriend is full Japanese (didn't come to the states until after college).

C
coyo7e
ZenAntiHero3374 said:
Eating salmon heads? With chopsticks? Are you Asian? Lol.

The last Coho that I caught was also only the second salmon ever for me. I wanted to waste as little as possible. So, after filleting it, we used the caucus and head for stock. My girlfriend threw in some eggplant from our garden and it turned out delicious!

We ate the cheeks and some other parts of the head with chopsticks that Noriko showed me. Both flavor and texture was different.

Guts and leftovers were buried in our garden :) All of it was used, just like the native Americans did.
Sorry, are you racist?

Get some ****ing class bro. What does it matter? Can only asians use chopsticks, or do only asians deign to eat fish cheeks?

I'm sure it's really funny at the bar, but I don't appreciate that kinda **** when I just recommend a decent recipe.

M
montym
coyo7e said:
Sorry, are you racist?

Get some ****ing class bro. What does it matter? Can only asians use chopsticks, or do only asians deign to eat fish cheeks?

I'm sure it's really funny at the bar, but I don't appreciate that kinda **** when I just recommend a decent recipe.
Easy mate, take a step back and read it again. Seems to be an innocuous question, I am Asian, Indian to be precise, but can't use chopsticks to save my life. Be happy that someone has backed you up on eating fish heads rather than putting you down.

I do remember a dinner with some Chinese friends in Hong Kong, guy said he can eat a fish head with chop sticks and his wife cuffed him one, I always thought that was because he was bragging a little too much ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I
Iki Jime
I'm really surprised and confused by your outburst over my post. I re-read my post a few times to try and figure out how you could have construed that as an insult.

So... I pretty much related to you on eating the heads with chopsticks. This is a cultural taboo for most Americans, so I jokingly wondered if you might have been influenced by a culture that was different. I thought most people would laughed, or at least recognize an attempt at humor.

I'm flabbergasted.

J
JeannaJigs
Alright this thread rapidly derailed, please get back on topic without any further personal or racial insults.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk