Casting Distance

K
Kodiak
want to bet?

want to bet?

Sorry ninja, but I have to disagree. I have a 6501 and can flat air mail some gear. My 6501 loaded with 25lb, with 1oz. and #6 colorado on my 9 foot rod can deliver said spiner upwards of 65 yrds, acuratley...even if I can't spell it, as PDXKush has seen first hand. The same reel loaded with 10lb will deliver a #4 3/8ths spinner the approx. 55 yrds., wind resistance and all. My $200.00 curado will gain me perhaps 5 more yrds, but will tear itself apart (literally)with a heavier load. I back my magnetic drag on the 6501 all the way off and use all thumb to do it. I have been doing it a long time, and have had some burly blow ups along the way. Expierience has taught me 1 thing, accuracy is where fish are killed, distance is just showing off.

N
ninja2010
Kodiak said:
Sorry ninja, but I have to disagree. I have a 6501 and can flat air mail some gear. My 6501 loaded with 25lb, with 1oz. and #6 colorado on my 9 foot rod can deliver said spiner upwards of 65 yrds, acuratley...even if I can't spell it, as PDXKush has seen first hand. The same reel loaded with 10lb will deliver a #4 3/8ths spinner the approx. 55 yrds., wind resistance and all. My $200.00 curado will gain me perhaps 5 more yrds, but will tear itself apart (literally)with a heavier load. I back my magnetic drag on the 6501 all the way off and use all thumb to do it. I have been doing it a long time, and have had some burly blow ups along the way. Expierience has taught me 1 thing, accuracy is where fish are killed, distance is just showing off.

no apologies, please... i've seen you cast. and i know YOU can do it. but it's not for everyone - that thumb feathering technique comes from lots of practice. so does how one should properly load a rod before the swing, and timing on release... and swinging a loomis :D to boot.

anyways, for the not-too-experienced (i might be wrong here, but i think that's where ej is coming from), a free spooling casting reel would yield better distance with just some proper adjustments - and one just needs to know to stop the spool when the bait plops into the drink to avoid birdnesting. once the confidence builds, then one can off course ease up on the brakes and spool tension and work on accuracy.

my point is, one must not be overly discouraged by the limited distance in casting the 6501... it's not the easiest reel to get good distance with 1/3 oz.

K
Kodiak
Deciding EJ's fate.

Deciding EJ's fate.

True a higher priced model will help with casting distance, however Plenty of fish can be hooked close with accurate placement of presentation. Especially being a "newer" guy to the sport. With disatance you loose some line control, sensitivty, and reaction time resulting in more missed opportunities.

Hey EJ, anytime you want to try and throw for distance holler. We'll Go throw lead at the duckies in the middle of cascade ponds.

18406ej
18406ej
Ninja and Kodiak, I appreciate the help from both of you. I am not looking to whip my offerings 200' out, I was just hoping to get the spinner somewhere past 10' from my feet. I have been practicing with a heavier weight, and have got better at distance and aim. I have also been working on thumb feathering, which has limited any backlash to minor and easily untangled birdnests. I am working now on accuracy in presenting the bait/spinner.

As far as a better reel goes, the 6501 is a Cadillac in my eyes, espescially given that I have 5 kids! Also, the reel was a gift from a special friend, so I can't do without it. I have been fortunate enough in the past to receive two excellent Shimano spinning reels (Stradic and Symetre), so I know how good their products can be.

Thank you again to both of you for your comments. Kodiak, I will be in touch.

N
ninja2010
18406ej said:
I am not looking to whip my offerings 200' out, I was just hoping to get the spinner somewhere past 10' from my feet. I have been practicing with a heavier weight, and have got better at distance and aim. I have also been working on thumb feathering, which has limited any backlash to minor and easily untangled birdnests. I am working now on accuracy in presenting the bait/spinner.

that's great, ej. sounds like you've begun to grasp the technique in fairly short order. what kodiak said is true, so work on the accuracy... note: i find sidecasting to be a bit more accurate than overhead cast, but that's just me - it's easier to control where the lure drops when it's sailing just above the water instead of flying in the air in a parabollic arc.

and nothing shortens one's learning curve more than having a good coach... kodiak is a good teacher. meet with him, learn from him and you'll soon be able to place your lure exactly where you need it to be, near or far.

good luck.

T
Troutier Bassier
When I cast my Abu, Its always a Sidearm Cast, Not the Most Accurate, But I can get far without a Backlash.