Casting Distance

S
Shadelady
ok the results are in i used the same reel and lure on 5 different rods...
the the rods ranged from 5.5 - 9.5. i can side cast with the shorter rods, but have no control with the 8 or 9.5 the 9.5 gave me the most distance with a 2 hand over-head cast. but i only gained about 10-15 feet.

however, i actually caught a fish while i was out experimenting!! how funny is that? i didn't add any extra weight at all- i was throwing a rooster- it looks like it says 1/6, but that doesn't sound right to me. maybe its 1/16.

P
PDXKush
FishFinger said:
Kush

The issues you mentioned about birds nests are a result of two things. "Spin up": the speed of your line leaving the spoon based on velocity you which launch your gear and "over run": the speed of your spool when your gear contacts the water..

Your thumb is the definitive braking component to prevent over run. Before you make your first cast after rigging or re baiting you should take a moment to ensure your mechanical spool brake is adjusted to allow your gear to slowly drop towards the ground while free spooled. That will help mitigate the effects of spin up. The moment your gear contacts the water, stop the spool rotation with your thumb. Often you won't need to engage the gears, rather you can continue to drift with your thumb on the spool and simply release pressure to ad that little extra something - something to the swing at the end of your drift.

It's also a good way to release any accidental over run you might not have been able to stop. It's never a good idea to reeling line on top of loose loops on the spool. A wrap is bound to happen at some time and that stops casts like hitting a brick wall.

You hit the nail on the head. Thankfully Ninja told me the same exact things that you said and after his teaching I finished the day off with no nests out of at least 120 casts. Practice, Practice, Practice and good teaching. Peace and thanks for all the helpfulo info ff.

F
fishnquest
...aren't you gonna tell us about the fish???:D

S
Shadelady
the fish was jsut one of the little recently stocked trouts. i even let him go- which is not really like me. its my feeling that the number of fish we keep is inversely proportional to our skill. i could be totally wrong about that.

i dont know if it was the same fish, but 2 other followed my lure right to the dock. then my phone rang and i set the pole down with the lure just under the water and another fish swam right up to check it out.

W
wanna go fishing
I took a flycasting class once and soon was able to get a lot more distance with my spinning reel. My problem now is over shooting. Although once in a while I will slap the water 2 feet in front of me (I haven't figured out what that is about). The last time I went with my brother bass fishing in AZ he found it all very entertaining. Either too long or too short nothing between.

I have to get out to my local park and practice, practice, . . .

1aB
In my experience:
1. Fluorocarbon is generally terrible mainline for casting distance & handling.
2. Casting distance generally improves with a full spool of line. A full 2500 spool would be wound to within 1/16" or so from the edge of the spool lip. But if you have handling problems - loose loops, springing coils, wind knots, birdsnesting, the line is too stiff or heavy for your ability level with the reel. My personal preference is 8# mono on a 2500, for 10# I would prefer a wider spool 3500 to seat the line in larger coils.
3. For reasonable casting distance & handling with 10# test mono the weight should be at least 1/4 oz. IMO. Stiffer fluorocarbon might require more weight for the same mono performance.

S
Shadelady
ok well several expeiments later heres what i found to be true for me. i like my dad's pole- i can't wait to try to get him to give it to me.... i think its 7'; its and Ugly Stick Lite. but i also went o Bimart and got the flippiest pole they had i guess its whats known as an ultra light- oh my God that thing is so much fun- we're keeping it- i put my old Daiwa that i got form the Goodwill on it! i have added a couple of split shots to both, but i think the are more like training wheels and will be off soon enough.

i am still wide open to going with anyone and learning. i still think its possible my technique sucks.

1aB
It is indeed possible that your tekneek sucks, after almost 50 yrs. every cast is still a challenge for me! Still, my wife, daughter, & grandsons can't cast nearly as far as me, so I guess all the practice must have done some good.

I'd suggest Berkley XL mono for EZ handling. Fluorocarbon main line has its advantages, but user friendly for learning casting is not one of them. You could fill your spare Sahara spool with mono and compare with your fluoro.

If possible, find a tackle supplier that can machine wind your line purchase onto your spool(s). Machine winding will fill a spool twist free more evenly than manually and to a proper level of fullness if done right. Berkley XL is available in large bulk spools for machine winding with no waste. The tackle shops out my way will machine wind for free if the line is purchased in-shop.

Last edited:
S
Shadelady
well i had the line spooled for me when i bought the reel- he used the machine- i am not sure but i have had a LOT of birdnesting / fouled line. not sure if its how it was spooled, the spinner lure, or the reel.

just the same, i hooked 4 today, landed 2 and kept none. not a bad box score. i put the shaimano on my dads steelhead pole (which i think he is gonna let me keep) and wasn't using it as much as my old Daiwa on the new flipping stick which is just so much fun i cannot stand it.

A
ArcticAmoeba
As you get more practice in, it will come. Even with spinning gear it takes time to learn how to load the rod, and where to release the line and everything. Keep after 'em! It looks like you are managing just fine though if you are catching some fish!

18406ej
18406ej
A very good friend of mine just gave me an Ambassadeur 6501 reel. I looked at several of the YouTube videos on how to use the reel, but I am still getting the cast to go about 10' or so when I am casting overhead...what actually happens is that the lure hits the ground hard at that distance rather than sailing further out. I am using a 1/3 oz lure on the line. Is this too little weight for this type of reel? Am I letting go too soon or too early? Any advice would be appreciated. The fish are laughing at me...

O
Outdrsmn
you may be letting it go too late, but with a bait caster weight helps a lot

H
Hawk
Howdy, Brother EJ..........:)

Fer several lustrums i'ved used my Ambassadeur 6500c mostly on my 9' surf rod to surf fish on a beach or for Striped Bass(i've caught up to 42lb).

I used to go by the highway 152 bridge at San Luis Res Forebay by Santa Nella, CA. It takes a lot of Practice. I don't know how far it is but i got to where i could cast out to about half the length of the bridge to the channel where the biggun stripers swam.............:lol::lol:

I used a plastic sliding sinker holder with a 3oz or a 4oz sinker usually & a 2' leader with baithook. 17 lb test line Maxima UG i think it was, mono

You don't cast toward the water. You cast with a higher arch (use follow through with your pole & arm) your thumb controls the line. You stop the line with your thumb when the weight hits the water to prevent backlashes. Your mechanical brake knob needs to be adjusted properly for the amount of sinker weight your using.

I don't know how effective the 6500 would be with a 1/3 oz lure (weight). I would think to give it a fair test you would need a 9' or 10' pole/rod. Maybe use 6lb or 8lb test line. practice, practice.

I've never tried using my 6500 with 1/3 oz weight & light test line.

Best O Luck to you Bro..............:)

18406ej
18406ej
Thanks Hawk- I will be practicing in the yard today. Enjoy the Sun on your mountain.

S
SNDSLGR
setting up the brake is key and while 1/3 is pretty light I would think you could get a reasonable cast with it. Still, for practice try 1oz. It will be easier to see the workings of the reel this way. Once set up I hover my thumb over the line and slowly thumb stop it just as it hits the water.

*Tie up your rig.
*Reel up close to the eyelet on your pole and hold it about 4 feet off the ground.
*Hold the spool with your casting thumb.
* Press the bail button and then let the rig drop to the ground.
*It should fall freely but not backlash when your rig smacks the ground, the spool will just stop when the rig does.

Thats basicly it, you will develope a feel for how stiff you like your brake. Too loose and its backlash city, too tight and you can't cast far. Check it often, I have a bad habbit of bumping mine out of adjustment.

T
Troutier Bassier
I Agreee With SNDSLGR, Thats Exactly what I do with My Abu Garcia Reel.

Practice in your Backyard, And each Cast without a Backlash, Loosen ur brake a little bit, LITTLE BIT!!!!!!
A Little bit can make a BIG Difference, (2-3 Feet).

And Rember Practice makes Perfect.

C
cchinook
bait caster

bait caster

what they said ! even experienced anglers will bird nest once in a while - use the brake and set it up for what you are tossing - more lead = less grief -

Troutski
Troutski
Distance..

Distance..

I may not be able to cast as far as the next angler, but I do hold the record for the most and in depth birds nest in a single event. My savior was carrying a crochet hook (still do) and a travel hair spray can (size of the smallest spray paint can) fits in the tackle box. Both have served me well over the years, I must admit I surrendered a few years ago and have just finished cleaning out my casting reels to those who hold the gift.
Me I am a dedicated spinning reel angler, heck even my fly reel is a shimano;). It truly is an art form, if you have ever had the privilege of watching someone with that specialty - you can't help being dropped jawed.
I remember Sir Charles Barkley's golf swing when he first started playing golf, nice and effortless for what ever reason he developed a slight glitch in is swing. He has over the years tried every gadget on the market today, has gone as far as to have one of the worlds most prestigious instructors in professional golf take him on; to change his glitch. I proclaim the Sir Charles glitch in casting reels, some have it and then there are those that watch in aah.....:cool:
It is my contention due to the above post that the fish have no idea what style of reel the angler has, this is my story and I am sticking with it.:)

Chuck

T
trollin4trout
Outdrsmn said:
you may be letting it go too late, but with a bait caster weight helps a lot

Since you were asking about casting distance and not a backlash problem- "Outdrsmn" has the answer- weight is everything. Try a heavier lure/wt. for practice- at least an ounce- 2 or 3 even better.

Now is when you'll need the other good advice here about adjusting the drag!
You'll be able to get more distance easily now- you just have to practice and adjust the drag to conquer the backlashes.

I'll bet even after you get better at it you'll have a hard time getting a lot of distance with the 1.3 oz. lure. You'll get farther than now, because of the practice but you ain't gonna whip it across the river like a spinning reel will.

Jim

N
ninja2010
the problem is not you... it is that particular line of reel. the ambassadeurs do not freespool like some of the higher end reels. hence, as already mentioned, weight is key to get the distance.

the abu revo reels, on the other hand, can cast very light weights and has infinite braking controls. and the sweetest one, the shimano calcutta round reels with digital control - can cast a weightless rubber worm without backlashing.

oh, and btw, when casting light lures, braid does better than mono - less memory, more limp and suppleness.

i tried my hand at baitcasting back when i was 9, and have never turned back since.

Last edited: