Carp: The facts

B
bigdog
Hawk said:
then i released them back into the water.

:D:D:D

See now thats where you messed up

T
Troutier Bassier
Is there a new thread about carp every month?

B
bigdog
Troutier Bassier said:
Is there a new thread about carp every month?

until everyone has turned over to fishing for carp instead of salmon and steelhead there will be.

troutdude
troutdude
Oh great. Now it really IS time, to unsubscribe to this thread!

bass
bass
OnTheFly said:
john montana said:
hah...yeah, he was easy to see, but remarkably hard to catch. i guess being that big and bright orange, you learn to be a tad bit spooky![/QUOTE]

Wait a second....are you telling me that your orange Koi carp is aware, or it learned of it's vulnerability to predators because it knows how easily it can be seen by it's color? You gotta be kidding me.:rolleyes:

If you put a 1000 bright orange fish (of any species) anywhere only the spookiest ones would likely survive. Non-spooky ones would likely become dinner. I do not think it is aware of its color, but probably natural selection would only reward a spooky fish with that coloration. Thus I would guess that it did not learn to be spooky but probably was just nervous its whole life.

T
The Nothing
MoldyChum SOTY no? that was a few years back...

Forget the nay sayers here, I'm with you. I've never fished for carp in my life, but i've got a 6/7wt that says this could be fun.

J
john montana
Soty was a while ago! Do love the moldy chum!

C
c_chickens
how often do u catch a smallmouth with a smolt in its throat??????????? me... NEVER! crawdads yea sculpins yea other bass yes but never a smolt!

T
The Nothing
IMHO, if you're one of the folk that "will never fish for carp" please STFU and head to a different thread. I've read all 8 pages of this thread, other carp (and more) threads, and John Montana's blog - Every year of it. I think it's funny that no one says a thing if the thread is about catfish, but mention carp and every "purist" and "elitist" seems to get their panties in a bunch. I don't see everyone getting out of shape about bluegill (which I don't fish for). John is trying to share a wonderful fishery that is in your back yard. If you don't agree, I challenge you to read his blog just like I did, and replace the word "carp" with whatever you choose to fish for - be it trout, bass, salmon, etc - and you'll see what I did. The stuff, the life, that John is talking about is the stuff that books and movies are made (ie A River Runs Through It). I thought I had a lust for fishing, his blog showed me that I don't even have a clue. The experiences that he is passing on is amazing. His kids have experienced more than I, than most of you, have ever seen from the banks you've fished on so many times. Hell, I never even saw a fly rod until I was 10 times older than his children, let alone felt the tug of a 5+ fish until I was 30.

Have you ever stared at a bass or steelhead, thrown every bait you have at it, only to have it snuff you off? That probably lasted a couple hours at the VERY least... How about chasing a SINGLE fish for months? Like I said, that's what stories are made upon.

So, to get back at what I was originally trying to say, if you don't care for the topic, move on to another.

But I'll say you're missing out. After all, The Tug is the Drug... not the fish...

John (fellow supporter of Recycled Fish), I do have a few questions for you:
1- do you think you could teach this eager-to-learn gearhead how to throw a fly?
2- can ya show me how to target carp (beyond what I've read on your site)?
3- want to try it all from a kayak?

ps: for the off-topic folks, yes, I've seen smolt in the gullet of a bass....

O
OnTheFly
Hey The Nothing, John's blog is an inspiring thing isn't it? Took you long enough to read it. lol:D

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
Inspiring? I'll say.

In fact, in like fashion, I've now made it a mission to target that orange Koi that I see swimming around 'my' lake. It came close to my stuff the other day, but didn't take.

Moby Dick swims on! :)

S
Stradic2000
replace the word "carp" with whatever you choose to fish for - be it trout, bass, salmon, etc - and you'll see what I did.

Why would I do that, play make believe? In the end it's still a lowly carp you're wasting your time on. The fish is an oversized goldfish. Like someone else already said... I also have no desire to handle a carp. Bass and trout are beautiful fish, so are sunfish. To catch oversized goldfish would feel like I was angling at the pet store. Who would want to see bright clown colored carp in Timothy lake? NOT ME...................

If you want a *TUG*... go catch a Sturgeon out of the Columbia. I guess if you do enough drugs, you'll find the carp appealing. Psychedelic fish, no? Do you find it to be "trippy"? Fishing isn't all about the tug. True fisherman know this.

You might as well practice your bow hunting skills n' quickly take out those euro-trash junk fish. No expensive tackle to buy, just put a reel on your bow n' you're set.

Carp don't deserve this kind of attention and praise. No, we won't STFU. Carp are garbage. In this country they're not a sport fish. Go to england, where your kind are appreciated.

Do you want carp to become a desirable and protected game fish in this country? Want limits put on how many carp you can take home? This is what will happen if you get everyone and their mother targeting carp (of course this would be in the land of make believe). As for the rest of us living in reality, we'd like to see this fish removed from North American waters. Let's preserve the excellent fish species that are thriving in our state, and remove this goofy garbage fish aka the carp.

Carp are like the cockroach of the insect world. Bow fishing is the bug spray.

Smoked Salmon or smoked carp? Would the native tribes prefer your garbage fish? Why don't we ask them... I would, but I already know the answer.

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
i love this! diametrically opposed, yet equally valid points of view, make interesting debates...

i find it difficult to stay neutral; ie: sit on the fence on this one. partly because i do not have a biased opinion about any particular species of fish - i love angling for them all, especially the bigger ones, the harder fighters, and the more elusive ones. the carp seems to fall in one or more of these categories...

so what makes carp such a "trash/garbage" fish here in america? or is it just in oregon? or is it just for a select few "elitist" who would only target other perceived "prized" species, that consider the carp to be unworthy? pray, tell...

T
The Nothing
Stradic2000 said:
Why would I do that, play make believe? In the end it's still a lowly carp you're wasting your time on. The fish is an oversized goldfish. Like someone else already said... I also have no desire to handle a carp. Bass and trout are beautiful fish, so are sunfish. To catch oversized goldfish would feel like I was angling at the pet store. Who would want to see bright clown colored carp in Timothy lake? NOT ME...................

If you want a *TUG*... go catch a Sturgeon out of the Columbia.

You might as well practice your bow hunting skills n' quickly take out those euro-trash junk fish. No expensive tackle to buy, just put a reel on your bow n' you're set.

Carp don't deserve this kind of attention and praise. No, we won't STFU. Carp are garbage. In this country they're not a sport fish. Go to england, where your kind are appreciated.

Do you want carp to become a desirable and protected game fish in this country? Want limits put on how many carp you can take home? This is what will happen if you get everyone and their mother targeting carp (of course this would be in the land of make believe). As for the rest of us living in reality, we'd like to see this fish removed from North American waters. Let's preserve the excellent fish species that are thriving in our state, and remove this goofy garbage fish aka the carp.

Carp are like the cockroach of the insect world. Bow fishing is the bug spray.

Thank you, Stradic2000, for being the posterchild of the naïve.

Desirable? Look around at the IFGA and carp sites in the US - there are a lot. Also find out the history behind carp and why they're in the water to begin with. Limits? already limits in OR and WA (Grass Carp for starts). Would it ever come to the extreme that you seem to be dreaming about? I'd bet the whole Mississippi River system that no, it will not ever come to that.

I, personally, would rather see other invasive species in PacNW waterways abolished first. I wholeheartedly agree with you that we need to "preserve the excellent fish species" that we have, but we need to preserve the NATIVE species in our region, not the introduced/invasive species that really control our waters. Invasive species that find our natives as tasty morsels. Species including, but not limited to largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, catfish, and more. Honestly, despite what I say here, I'd like to include all invasives, including the carp mentioned in this thread, as well as bluegill, crappie, striped bass, etc. etc. I have litter tolerance to invasives, beyond fish, that you probably couldn't comprehend since it appears that all you care about is your mighty bass.

20% of your posts here have been trash talking Carp, yet I've not seen you trash on other "garbage fish." Fish that DO NOT belong in Oregon. (if you missed it, I started that list already, if you'd like I can give you a whole list of invasive fish, plants, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and invertibrates causing havoc in Oregon (its kind of a specialty of mine).

If you want sturgeon (hey, you mentioned it), say the word, I know most here will vouch that I KNOW where the sturgeon lay.

S
Stradic2000
No, I am not all about the bass... I care more about wild trout than any other species, the Dolly Varden/Bull Trout being one of my personal favorites. Brook Trout pushed out the Dolly Varden. You can't blame the largeouth bass for the diminishing numbers of wild trout (although they are gradually making a comeback) because largemouth bass aren't in the fast moving rivers and cold deep lakes. I did mention squawfish. Yes, the zebra mussels, bull frogs, etc...etc... lots of invasive species of all groups, that's mostly just the times we're living in unfortunately... The walleye while invasive, are a desirable sport fish. Even though walleyes are an aggressive predator (carnivorous (eats lots of minnows on a regular basis), similar to the Dolly Varden) that are pushing out the Dolly Varden. I wouldn't mind seeing walleye in our high mountain Oregon lakes. (that would not be a wise move, obviously, walleye compete too much with trout) Carp up at Mt. Hood lakes would be bizarre.

Walleye should be getting harder fishing pressure, not carp.

Fish for the Walleye. Shoot the carp...

Last edited:
T
The Nothing
Most of your posts seem pointed towards bass fishing (4 out of 16 now, same as your anti-carp posts) so it seemed safe to assume that was your preferred fishery. I'm not blaming bass for diminishing numbers of anything, but rather pointing out that the fish are just as troublesome as other species.

I'd definitely say walleye are getting harder pressure than some other species. Go to Fishermans Marine and see how many walleye rigs they sell. Walleye lures, spoons, and worm harnesses nearly equal the crappie lures. Two weeks ago I saw two people fishing for carp, and 14 fishing for walleye on the same stretch of river. Because a species is a "desirable sport fish" does not mean that they're ok, though the OR government seems to think so (hence bounties on native fish like pikeminnow, but not on more devastating fish like bass and walleye)

If you don't want to fish for carp, fine, don't. It's BS that you'd be prejudiced against those that do. Its the anglers, like you and me, that show the world what is in our waters. Be it a green sunfish, redside, or carp. Have fun doing it, that's all that matters.

J
john montana
Thanks for the kind words on the blog folks, overstated but very kind! It is a nice way to force a fishing journal and let my dad and friends in MN keep tabs on me.

Nothing, I would be happy to take you out sometime. Carp on the fly is tough but going with someone that knows the ropes can shorten the learning curve quite a bit. Once a guy figures out where to find feeding carp in shallow water, how to sneak up on them, and how to accurately put a fly within a foot without spooking the fish it gets a bit tricky. At that point you have to figure out when they eat the fly, which is by far the most difficult part. It would be a blast to take you out sometime. The season is basically done now but get in touch next spring or summer and I will put you in some fish!

As for the kayak, I very nearly bought one...mostly to bust out to hidden bars and zip between bays etc. I think a kayak would be a fantastic fishing vehicle!

Stradic, I don't have much to add man. I do have a question. Given the little that you know about me would you consider me a true fisherman? You degrade and hammer anyone foolish enough to pursue a "euro trash" fish, so I must fall into your category of "not a true fisherman." I am genuinely curious if I meet your criteria given my predilection towards a target clearly below your standards. Honest question.

J
john montana
The Nothing said:
Because a species is a "desirable sport fish" does not mean that they're ok, though the OR government seems to think so (hence bounties on native fish like pikeminnow, but not on more devastating fish like bass and walleye)s.

Well said! That always killed me about the pike minnow. It is a native fish! I get the need for a bounty thanks to the dams, but the pike minnow has more right to our waters than carp, bass, etc.

T
the_intimidator03
Stradic, you do know squawfish are native right? I think the reason we have a lot of different kinds of invasive species is because as people travel to new places... they want to make it their own, someone miss wall-eye fishing well then i outta bring some for the lake, same with bass and panfish etc. There are several types of fisherfolks out there, the one who fishes all day and catches nothing but is happy he is out. then you got those who fish for fun doing catch and release with everything, some who catch and keep everything and some who catch and release some and keep some. many other types of fisherfolks out there. what it comes down to is the fact that not everyone wants the same thing... which is painfully obvious here, I do agree with The Nothing's view and mindset on the matter. it comes accross to me as yes it should be just native species here, but since the others are here take advantage of them and angle for them.

I guess I just really dont see the point in aimless joke post or negatory remarks on threads that the OP obviously wants to make known, and share the opportunity to learn something new. Who knows who is going to read something that will take a person from I will never fish for a non native fish into... holy cow those are awesome to catch. They may like trying a new opportunity or they may not. I dont see a lot of people who listen to someone talk about something or read about something and ACTUALLY go out of their way to say something negative or rude. I can see in a verbal conversation of saying I am not interested but on a forum to actually take the time and effort to make a post, no matter how simple or complex it is, with a negative remark or a joke that doesn't fit the thread.

If you read a book you dont like or it doesn't interest you, you stop reading and close it. Just because the doors open doesn't mean you need to walk through it either.

I am done with this post, Bring on the carp!

N
ninja2010
the_intimidator03 said:
There are several types of fisherfolks out there, the one who fishes all day and catches nothing but is happy he is out.

:lol: have we met?