Carp: The facts

O
OnTheFly
Fishtopher said:
Kinda curious as to why there are so many carp haters and we dont see anyone bashin' on Catfish, Bass, Walleye etc.?

Beav? OTF? B.S.? L.S.? Bigdog? Anyone???
C'mon Chris. I never said I hated the fish but I received a lot of flak when I said I would never target them. I also got a lecture when I refused to believe carp were smarter than other fish. I only believe this as far as fly fishing for them because it's sight fishing only and a challenge rewarded by a good fish-on fight. I understand bread balls and corn just slay them. As far as the other fish you mentioned, (I think those are all game fish?) I don't target them either but if one got on my line I wouldn't complain. I'm a little disapointed that you mentioned names here.

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
OnTheFly said:
C'mon Chris. I never said I hated the fish but I received a lot of flak when I said I would never target them. I also got a lecture when I refused to believe carp were smarter than other fish. I only believe this as far as fly fishing for them because it's sight fishing only and a challenge rewarded by a good fish-on fight. I understand bread balls and corn just slay them. As far as the other fish you mentioned, (I think those are all game fish?) I don't target them either but if one got on my line I wouldn't complain. I'm a little disapointed that you mentioned names here.

The bolded part has been true in my short experience with them. I've now caught a dozen of them. If I use a breadball soaked in a bit of blackberry syrup with a bit of corn added, I get a bite within about 2-5 minutes if I put the OFFering in decent location of a water that is known to have a good sized carp population.

F
Fishtopher
:whistle:Just threw out a few names that always show up on ANY carp thread. Even though they never seem to fish for them. Thats all. For someone who said they would never target them, ya sure have a lot of posts in these carp threads.:lol:

You can call those other fish game fish if ya want. I'll keep callin' 'em what they are. Invasive non-native species that actually put a dent in the populations of native fish that are either protected or on the endangered list in our rivers.

Dont discriminate. Kill'em all.:D

B
beaverfan
Fishtopher said:
:whistle:Just threw out a few names that always show up on ANY carp thread. Even though they never seem to fish for them. Thats all. For someone who said they would never target them, ya sure have a lot of posts in these carp threads.:lol:

You can call those other fish game fish if ya want. I'll keep callin' 'em what they are. Invasive non-native species that actually put a dent in the populations of native fish that are either protected or on the endangered list in our rivers.

Dont discriminate. Kill'em all.:D

Obviously you haven't read many of my posts in the carp threads. I have been saying pretty much the exact same thing as you just stated. I have fished for Carp plenty of times and when nothing else is biting it can be a lot of fun. But I've mentioned numerous times that I have a problem with ALL invasive species equally, not just Carp. I'm just sick of some people saying that they don't have a negative impact on our waters because they do! A huge negative impact, same as ivy, bass and any other non-native invasive species.

O
OnTheFly
Fishtopher;144125 For someone who said they would never target them said:
Verbally yes. Ya got me on that one! lol.

Last edited:
J
john montana
As one of the most dedicated carp fisherman in the state of Oregon, I still say if carp can be safely removed from a watershed then get 'em out of there. The same goes for smallmouth and other non native fish (uh...brownout trout definitely squeeze out native populations in certain watersheds too). In my limited view the native species should absolutely be encouraged to prosper. Seems pretty simple.

But, it just ain't happening in the big river. Instead, the big C is a world class smallmouth fishery, and frankly a world class carp fishery. I would support getting rid of carp or bass anywhere that such support was practical, but in the big C it just isn't...so give em a shot sometime. They can be fun.

Personally, I find carp extremely tough to catch using an unscented artificial fly. I have caught them relatively easily fishing corn with my 4 and 5 year olds but that is my entire, and severly limited experience with carp and bait.

Check out my blog if you are interested in carp on the fly. While far from an expert, I can definitely point put a few things NOT to do!

Dig the new forum.

L
lilsalmon
L.S.??? hmmmmmmm

M
Markcanby
john montana said:
Personally, I find carp extremely tough to catch using an unscented artificial fly. I have caught them relatively easily fishing corn with my 4 and 5 year olds but that is my entire, and severly limited experience with carp and bait.

I have to agree.I can't see where people think that eating corn or dough make carp stupid. I mean OTF has no problem fishing for slimy trout with a fly an people fish marshmallows for them.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Marshmallows always made me incredibly smart, as did hard alcohol.

B
bigsteel
Markcanby said:
I have to agree.I can't see where people think that eating corn or dough make carp stupid. I mean OTF has no problem fishing for slimy trout with a fly an people fish marshmallows for them.

when did otf ever say they were stupid cause they eat corn or dough??where i fish people dont use marshmellows,thats for stocker pond fishing

F
Fishtopher
There isn't a good title for this post....

There isn't a good title for this post....

OK maybe not L.S...but I stand by the rest of my goofy statements. And Beav, big ups to ya, but I (we) just dont see the same negativity towards those other species from ya as much as this whole carp thing.

Last year was "year of the snaggers"/"AA's fantastic posts". This year the forum has been dominated by carp bashing..."Year of the Carp...crap". As with GZ I too have been "smartened"(?) by narcotic pain relievers and too much egg cure mixed into my scrambled eggs...err, brain. So disregard everything I have written in the last 240 hours and chalk it up to eating too much carp outta the Columbia Slough.

Now if we could only get the Sea Lions convinced that Carp are way more nutritional than a measely Chinook, we would be on the right track. Hey, *lightbulb* as soon as all these other invasive non native species take the Salmon/Steelhead population down to nil, the Sea Lions will have no food to chase except the non native invasive species!! Then maybe some dill hole will introduce Alligators to the Columbia and THEY will take the Sea Lion population down to nil.

That should get me a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize....

Sorry guys. Ran out of my Xanax a little early this month...

As for Carp: The facts, my favorite place to fish for 'em is in the Columbia Slough. Cuz when I fish for 'em there, I never know what is gonna bite...could be a stray Cayman, maybe someones Pacu or giant Chilchid they had to get rid of and couldnt find a better place to let em go.

And this thread hasnt been beaten to death. Carp have.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
This thread has been beaten to death

E
eggs
Fishtopher said:
OK maybe not L.S...but I stand by the rest of my goofy statements. And Beav, big ups to ya, but I (we) just dont see the same negativity towards those other species from ya as much as this whole carp thing.

Last year was "year of the snaggers"/"AA's fantastic posts". This year the forum has been dominated by carp bashing..."Year of the Carp...crap". As with GZ I too have been "smartened"(?) by narcotic pain relievers and too much egg cure mixed into my scrambled eggs...err, brain. So disregard everything I have written in the last 240 hours and chalk it up to eating too much carp outta the Columbia Slough.

Now if we could only get the Sea Lions convinced that Carp are way more nutritional than a measely Chinook, we would be on the right track. Hey, *lightbulb* as soon as all these other invasive non native species take the Salmon/Steelhead population down to nil, the Sea Lions will have no food to chase except the non native invasive species!! Then maybe some dill hole will introduce Alligators to the Columbia and THEY will take the Sea Lion population down to nil.

That should get me a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize....

Sorry guys. Ran out of my Xanax a little early this month...

As for Carp: The facts, my favorite place to fish for 'em is in the Columbia Slough. Cuz when I fish for 'em there, I never know what is gonna bite...could be a stray Cayman, maybe someones Pacu or giant Chilchid they had to get rid of and couldnt find a better place to let em go.

And this thread hasnt been beaten to death. Carp have.

Sorry you ran out of xanax, i get prescribed more then i know what to do with, you should chat with your doctor.

and for the record...

I kill and toss every n.pikeminnow, carp, bass, walleye, etc that I accidently catch while fishing for trout or steelhead on the bank until i am done fishing then toss them back in the water to feed other fish.. I dont care to eat them, I ate bass and catfish all the time when I lived in FL and it isn't my cup of tea now that have that i have the option for better food IMO.

and I would also pay 500 bucks for a tag to go open season on cali. sea lions that are below man made barriers

K
kaimuki49
Markcanby said:
No it is public just not a lot of access. On the north end there is a road that runs past the dam. It is the only place I know you can park a get to the water. There is about 300yds of bank there

ok - gee i need to wake up! i live in st paul - have for decades. not rt in that area we talking but down on river rd a few miles. only go to town to go to the feed store or the bar. i need to wander down there where u talking about. thanks for the advice. t

K
kaimuki49
bigsteel said:
This thread has been beaten to death

NO00oooo . . . this is da bestest thread in all of net fishdom. I never even thunk of karp fishing, now I want to.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Boy this Xanax seems to be pretty hip, and I like to be hip... :D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
GraphiteZen said:
Boy this Xanax seems to be pretty hip, and I like to be hip... :D
:naughty::naughty:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Raincatcher said:
:naughty::naughty:

haha... isn't that stuff I heard about on 60 Minutes that would cause men to be found by their wives at 3am, in bars usually, with the men having no idea how they got there!?! Crazy....

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
errr no that was Ambien..

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:

lol' A bread ball is a bread ball but if someone's going to use marshmellows for trout they gotta be pink and garlic scented. And thanks for thowing me under the bus Mark!:lol:;)