Carp fising

T
TTFishon
A buddy of mine said he ate nutria before and it tasted kind of like rabbit. I'd give it a try if it came from a clean environment.

H
Hawk
the biggest Carp i remember catchin' wus in the Delta/Mendota canal when i was catfishin'. she was bout 15 lb...............................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:...........................:cool::cool::cool::cool:

D
Drew9870
Drew9870 said:
Has anyone fished Bluegill Lakes, I have seen big carp in there, and some decent bass. Its the two little ponds across the little bridge from Walter Wirth, there isn't much access at all unless the main pond gets a chance to dry up a little. I haven't seen many signs of life from fish in the ponds for a while and I almost wonder if the ponds lost too much oxygen one of our past summers and killed the fish, they are pretty shallow ponds. I usually try to get around to both of the ponds when I go to Wirth and I still haven't seen any signs of life in the ponds (except for a giant frog I caught on my fly rod).

I went to Bluegill lakes today, it was windy, rainy, and haily, but I was dying to find out if there are still big carp in there :naughty: so I just had to throw out three poles :naughty: :D , two with some secret doughbait, and one with three worms, I was casting into the middle of the main lake with two of the poles......... Still no signs of life

F
fourgotten
ArcticAmoeba said:
Holy grapes! That is pretty funny. If you can't beat 'em, freakin eat 'em! Ah, although I will never cook up any of the invasive, or garbage fish for that matter, I will probably give the Nutria recipe to a crazy old neighbor. He eats everything, and to see him devour a Nutria would be priceless!

What's wrong with eating invasives? Really a great way to get rid of 'em... Especially the really tasty ones... like the purple varnish clam...

D
Drew9870
I Don't mean to sound like an a**

I Don't mean to sound like an a**

Could we please possibly start a new thread about the topic INVASIVES, seems like my posts asking for INFO are getting lost, and I would rather not just repeat them..... ANYWAYS

I will be trying the Riverfront now that we have one of our random days of nice weather. I will post my results

F
fourgotten
Drew9870 said:
Could we please possibly start a new thread about the topic INVASIVES, seems like my posts asking for INFO are getting lost, and I would rather not just repeat them..... ANYWAYS

I will be trying the Riverfront now that we have one of our random days of nice weather. I will post my results

Oh... sorry... didn't mean to HIJACK your THREAD and keep your INFO requests from getting ANSWERED...

('course... I thought that they WERE all getting answered... :lol:)

(Postscript: Just to clarify, I was EXAGGERATING the use of CAPITALIZATION in a JEERING manner, not to BE insulting but JUST 'cause I'm a NATURAL smartass... I'll stop responding to anything regarding any invasive species... )

D
Drew9870
I definetly was not trying to be a pr**k, :think: I believe I could have asked a little nicer.......

The Willamette is getting pretty full since the last time I was there, I figured with all the rain the Santiam River isn't looking too pretty either. I caught 2 of the biggest carp I have ever caught, they were probably both 30+ inches and were caught on worms.

Carp are strange fish, but smart, the bigger the smarter. When I use corn they barely nibble on it, they will hit doughbait pretty good sometimes, but when they hit on a worm they slam it. When they feel any resistance or pressure, they drop it and look for something else, so you have to set the hook asap

Yes.... Its a small net, but they fit
(If you can't see the pics, its the first two in my album)

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mikeredding
Drew9870 said:
I definetly was not trying to be a pr**k, :think: I believe I could have asked a little nicer.......

The Willamette is getting pretty full since the last time I was there, I figured with all the rain the Santiam River isn't looking too pretty either. I caught 2 of the biggest carp I have ever caught, they were probably both 30+ inches and were caught on worms.

Carp are strange fish, but smart, the bigger the smarter. When I use corn they barely nibble on it, they will hit doughbait pretty good sometimes, but when they hit on a worm they slam it. When they feel any resistance or pressure, they drop it and look for something else, so you have to set the hook asap

Very nice, unfortunately I couldn't seem to get the pics to open.

F
fourgotten
Drew9870 said:

(If you can't see the pics, its the first two in my album)

I know you weren't... like I said... I was just foolin' around, not sayin' that you were bein' a jerk... :D

Try using a jig with a worm on it... A. you might just get some other fun fish and B. when hey hit they have to HIT... there's no dinking around with it...

BTW, couldn't open those pics, but the thumbnails would indicate that those are some FAT carp...

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
Does anyone know of any good Doughbait recipes, preferrably a recipe that has been tested and proven to work, a lot of recipes dont work around here, and if they do work, I feel they don't work good enough. It would be really nice if anyone knew about ingrediants that contain certain amino acids that carp crave, I have read that pure whey concentrate is a good ingredient.

Simple baits that are just made up of cornmeal and flour, bread and water, and peanut butter, just don't work around here (atleast not good enough).

T
Taku
Drew9870 said:
I have been trying to catch carp since I was about 13, I'm 17 and I still have not caught a carp, the main places I try are Bluegill Ponds (the two ponds across the bridge from walter wirth [Yes there are two]) and walling pond. The main baits I use are corn, bread, and yesterday I made up a batch of peanut butter doughballs with cornmeal, I would like some info on how to catch the carp around here. I have seen some giant carp in the first pond at bluegill ponds. Maybe I should try fishing around the riverfront park on the Willamette? I have seen some giants around there too. Has anyone ever caught any carp out of Bluegill ponds or walling, or my uncle even says he caught a giant out of walter wirth, but I think someone put it in there.

I am not looking to travel out of salem, if I was going to, I would be at the snake river fishing for carp.

The Willamette is chock full of carp. Some in the 30 to 40 lb class.
When I was a kid I fished for them every day and sold them to Tony's fish market in OC. While everyone was out picking berries or beans, I fished for carp.
It was back when Ruth and Claire Huff owned Sportcraft Landing. I fished off the docks every day.
I usually hauled 2 gunny sacks of fish to Tony every day.
He started paying me 10 cents a piece for them. Eventually it went to 25 cents each
I made more than most kids in the berry fields and all I did was fish :))))
He used them for crab bait.
Mainly I took the bread they now call baloon bread and wet it and squeezed the water out and let it dry a little and put a ball of it on the hook.
I sometimes used corn juice mixed with it also.

They are actually a lot of fun to catch. Put up a pretty good fight.
They stink though. Odd smell to them, and are mostly bottom feeders, although around the grain ships they eat all over the levels. Go along the river in the summer and you'll see hundreds of them near the surface, just sitting there.
They do smell different than most fish. Maybe I caught so many I just became over sensitive to the odor from them.
My grandmother also used to have me bring some home on occassion so she could plant them under her roses.....Great fertilizer also :) Outrageous crab bait. Better than shad or salmon heads.

Last edited:
T
Taku
TTFishon said:
I wonder if corn flavored power bait would work?

Just go get some day old "wonder bread" and make doughballs.
Canned corn after it sets out in the sun for a day is good too. You always used to be able to catch a lot around the outlets of the sewer plants too <G>
They eat bad things <LOL> Ever wonder how they discovered corn... don't ask
<LOL> I sure hope someone told you that carp from the local rivers are not fit to eat, like the ones back in the midwest. If you can imagine it they eat it....

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
I will be headed to the Willamette Tomorrow.... 1:12 AM (Well today)

95% sure I will be at the dock at Riverfront Park, I will be testing a new dough recipe containing an egg white and a dash of milk. Will post results

D
Drew9870
It was a pretty good day today, a little windy. I ended up catching two big carp, one was 29 inches and the other was about 25 inches both caught on corn. My new dough recipe didn't work so well, I only had a few bites but no hookups.

D
Drew9870
Went to the dock at Riverfront Park today and caught three giant carp, all around 28 inches. It was maybe a week ago that a guy tried telling me they were grass carp, so I told him that Grass Carp have scales going all the way around their stomach, he didn't seem to buy it, I also forgot that Grass Carp don't have a sucker mouth, and the dorsal fin is way smaller. But I almost wonder if there is a few grass carp around the Riverfront, because I never catch any weeds (a lot of big branches), and there was the article about one being caught out of the Willy while a guy was bass fishing.

A Grass Carp can eat its own weight in weeds (vegetation) in a single day.
They get close to 80lbs

T
TTFishon
Drew9870 said:
Went to the dock at Riverfront Park today and caught three giant carp, all around 28 inches. It was maybe a week ago that a guy tried telling me they were grass carp, so I told him that Grass Carp have scales going all the way around their stomach, he didn't seem to buy it, I also forgot that Grass Carp don't have a sucker mouth, and the dorsal fin is way smaller. But I almost wonder if there is a few grass carp around the Riverfront, because I never catch any weeds (a lot of big branches), and there was the article about one being caught out of the Willy while a guy was bass fishing.

A Grass Carp can eat its own weight in weeds (vegetation) in a single day.
They get close to 80lbs

Have you seen those jumping carp? That's one fish I hope doesn't make it's way here.

F
FishSchooler
If it eats its weight in a day, and doesn't take a........ it should be 160 lbs. :lol::lol::lol:
Wheres river front?

D
Drew9870
The Riverfront Park is where the Carousel and the Willamette Queen (Sternwheeler) are located, in downtown Salem. I was actually there today (just walked in the door), and caught the smallest carp of my life....... 17 inches, but it put up a really good fight

H
Halberdier
…I am new at posting (I normally peruse), I am curious. In the 2009 OR Regs under “Harvest Method” on page 9 it seems to show “Snag Hook” as a legal method of obtaining Carp. I also read through the pamphlet in search of weight/hook regulations. I bring this up to ask if the following method is legal to attach to a Carp:
…In “Another State” I used to tie a half ounce swivel weight to the end of the line, search my tackle box for the biggest treble hook I had and attach it about two feet up the line from the weight. I would then toss the rig out into the water and wait for an unsuspecting big Carp to pass over the line (I kept it at tension). When the happy occurrence of the Ugly Fish came by, I would raise the rod tip sharply, and an epic fight was on! I normally used 6 lb line on a light spinning rod. I let them go as this was for sport, by the way.

D
Dichrofisher
Halberdier said:
…I am new at posting (I normally peruse), I am curious. In the 2009 OR Regs under “Harvest Method” on page 9 it seems to show “Snag Hook” as a legal method of obtaining Carp. I also read through the pamphlet in search of weight/hook regulations. I bring this up to ask if the following method is legal to attach to a Carp:
…In “Another State” I used to tie a half ounce swivel weight to the end of the line, search my tackle box for the biggest treble hook I had and attach it about two feet up the line from the weight. I would then toss the rig out into the water and wait for an unsuspecting big Carp to pass over the line (I kept it at tension). When the happy occurrence of the Ugly Fish came by, I would raise the rod tip sharply, and an epic fight was on! I normally used 6 lb line on a light spinning rod. I let them go as this was for sport, by the way.
Not sure about legality but it doesn't sound very sporting to snag any fish. I assume that the mandible of the mouth is less tender than wherever the treble sticks the fish?:naughty: