Carp fising

F
fourgotten
Troubl31987 said:
Do you have to have a permit other than your regular fishing license to catch carp? Also... can you fish year round for them? Thank you.

Nope. No permit, no season, no limit.... go out and GIT 'EM!!!!! They are invasives.

D
Dichrofisher
Carp, invasive? Please post findings.

J
joesnuffy
All carp are originaly from Asia. They compete with native wildlife and so are called invasive.

T
Troubl31987
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks... I can't download the regs so do you know if the calapooia is open?:confused:

M
mikeredding
Troubl31987 said:
Thanks... I can't download the regs so do you know if the calapooia is open?:confused:

If I am reading this correctly it doesn't open until May 23rd. I would call an ODFW office and check. Better safe than sorry.:naughty:

F
fourgotten
mikeredding said:
Interesting. They have a lot of fish on there but not the Tui Chub.:think:

Tui Chub's in there... right between Red-Eared Slider and Virginia Opossum...

M
mikeredding
fourgotten said:
Tui Chub's in there... right between Red-Eared Slider and Virginia Opossum...
I knew that. I was just checking to see how many people were reading the attached info!!:lol::lol:
OK, You got me. I guess I better get my eyes checked.:(

F
fourgotten
Troubl31987 said:

I don't see any regs specific to the Calapooia... the only time that I see it mentioned in the regs is in reference to the Willamette between Albany and Harrisburg.

F
fourgotten
mikeredding said:
I knew that. I was just checking to see how many people were reading the attached info!!:lol::lol:
OK, You got me. I guess I better get my eyes checked.:(

ROFL!:lol:

F
fourgotten
AND, cool enough, Oregon Field Guide just did a segment on Malheur Lake's HUGE carp problem.... you should go over there and wipe them out... they said that the average size is 10-15 lbs... and you'd be doing the world a favor... they've pretty much killed Maheur lake... you can see the program on OPB.ORG

D
Drew9870
Let's please try to use this thread for learning and teaching info on carp

Let's please try to use this thread for learning and teaching info on carp

I caught my second carp

The willamette is full of these fish, they love corn, but its just so damn hard to set the hook and sometimes even see your getting a bite. This carp wasn't as big as my first but it was still atleast a foot and a half, I didn't think to get a picture of it.

I would love to know some carp bait recipes that work around the salem area, I have gone out to Bluegill lakes and the Riverfront park with no luck on several recipes, I already know most of the possibilities to use as ingredients, I just need a working recipe that has had good luck in our waters

T
TTFishon
Drew9870 said:
I caught my second carp

The willamette is full of these fish, they love corn, but its just so damn hard to set the hook and sometimes even see your getting a bite. This carp wasn't as big as my first but it was still atleast a foot and a half, I didn't think to get a picture of it.

I would love to know some carp bait recipes that work around the salem area, I have gone out to Bluegill lakes and the Riverfront park with no luck on several recipes, I already know most of the possibilities to use as ingredients, I just need a working recipe that has had good luck in our waters

Great job! Since corn has been working maybe you could make some kind of paste using corn meal. I wonder if a boilie would work?

C
chris61182
Drew9870 said:
I caught my second carp

That's awesome! I would have never expected the fish to be hungry and active this early. Keep it up, the bite should only get better as the water warms.

D
Drew9870
Yes it will definetly get better, its normal for the carp to be biting so softly in the winter, but I believe they are spawning right now, carp spawn when a river suddenly rises, they go and scatter their eggs around bushes that would otherwise be out of the water in about 1-2 feet of water, and the Willamette did rise pretty quickly over the past two weeks.

I have tried many combinations of dough recipes, with flour and cornmeal being the main ingrediants. I have tried making peanut butter doughballs, sweet doughballs (honey, dash of suger, syrup), cherry koolaid doughballs, plain doughballs, vanilla doughballs, and more. I have been planning on trying to make some boilies or pop ups, which might happen today or tomorrow

B
bassin16
i live in albany and last summer i found a small creek that connects to the willy and well it was where the carp from the area spawn there were hundreds in here and some were definatly up to 50 lbs and close to 4 or 5 feet long it was very cool
im gunna try to catch some of them this next year

T
TTFishon
I wonder if corn flavored power bait would work?

D
Drew9870
Has anyone fished Bluegill Lakes, I have seen big carp in there, and some decent bass. Its the two little ponds across the little bridge from Walter Wirth, there isn't much access at all unless the main pond gets a chance to dry up a little. I haven't seen many signs of life from fish in the ponds for a while and I almost wonder if the ponds lost too much oxygen one of our past summers and killed the fish, they are pretty shallow ponds. I usually try to get around to both of the ponds when I go to Wirth and I still haven't seen any signs of life in the ponds (except for a giant frog I caught on my fly rod).

G
grampa ron
Carp Fishing

Carp Fishing

There is a lot of good info and video of Carp fishing on youtube.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Renewed interest

Renewed interest

Drew9870 said:
Has anyone fished Bluegill Lakes, I have seen big carp in there, and some decent bass. Its the two little ponds across the little bridge from Walter Wirth, there isn't much access at all unless the main pond gets a chance to dry up a little. I haven't seen many signs of life from fish in the ponds for a while and I almost wonder if the ponds lost too much oxygen one of our past summers and killed the fish, they are pretty shallow ponds. I usually try to get around to both of the ponds when I go to Wirth and I still haven't seen any signs of life in the ponds (except for a giant frog I caught on my fly rod).

Drew9870;
I've passed those ponds hundreds of times and each time I've wondered if they were fishable. I didn't know they had a name,or if they were really ponds or just an extension of Mill Creek. I even attended a birthday right next to one last summer. Now I'll have to go check them out when I get a chance. Thanks for piquing my interest in them again. Be safe.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
Holy grapes! That is pretty funny. If you can't beat 'em, freakin eat 'em! Ah, although I will never cook up any of the invasive, or garbage fish for that matter, I will probably give the Nutria recipe to a crazy old neighbor. He eats everything, and to see him devour a Nutria would be priceless!