Carp fising

D
Drew9870
CAUGHT MY FIRST CARP TODAY

It was about 25 inches and atleast 7 pounds, I was fishing behind the Willamette Queen on the dock at the riverfront using corn. I only had a 4 pound leader and a split shot, it barely even nibbled, I kept getting little teeny nibbles all day and I figured they were carp. Earlier today when I got there, a guy who could mainly speak Russian and barely any English, had pulled up and started fishing on the dock, pretty soon after using some corn he had hooked into a 18 inch carp and I netted it for him, he kept it, along with the large Pikeminnow he caught. I didn't bring any corn so I had to ask him for some by pointing at it. Finally after he left I was getting ready to pack up and I was getting nibbles, I set the hook and I felt like I was reeling in a salmon, I got it up to the dock in about a minute and was reaching down to net it and thats when the fight was on.

T
TTFishon
Alright, good job. I'd go with heavier line next time though. If you get a big one on 4lb test it will control you. Did you get any pics?

H
Hawk
Great Job BRO......................................:D:D:D...................................:cool::cool:.......................................:clap::clap::clap:

D
Drew9870
It was just getting dark so its not really the best pics

Last edited:
H
Hawk
Beautiful Pics Bro...............................:D

In Wisconsin some folks made goulash out of Carp. Up north by a river i would see carp feeding on top the water by cattails.......................:D

M
mikeredding
Drew9870 said:
It was just getting dark so its not really the best pics

Look like a Hawg to me! Nice job:D:D

Troutski
Troutski
Holy Carp...

Holy Carp...

That is a very nice fish for this time of year....Where you using Nightcrawlers?

Chuck

T
TTFishon
Nice one. I'm looking forward to seeing some more.

D
Drew9870
I was using two pieces of corn on each hook of a treble hook, I think it was fresh corn, I asked a guy for some who could barely speak English and spoke mainly Russian. That is the third person I had met at the riverfront that spoke mainly Russian that was fishing for carp, I wish I could ask them what else they use for bait, I have been told they use chicken liver, does it work for carp?

Troutski
Troutski
Drew9870 said:
I was using two pieces of corn on each hook of a treble hook, I think it was fresh corn, I asked a guy for some who could barely speak English and spoke mainly Russian. That is the third person I had met at the riverfront that spoke mainly Russian that was fishing for carp, I wish I could ask them what else they use for bait, I have been told they use chicken liver, does it work for carp?

You should ask our administrator for some help, here is a translator site that will at least get your idea across...good luck and tight lines.

Google Translate

Chuck

F
fourgotten
Drew9870 said:
CAUGHT MY FIRST CARP TODAY

It was about 25 inches and atleast 7 pounds, I was fishing behind the Willamette Queen on the dock at the riverfront using corn.

Gratz!!!! Now come on down to Fern Ridge and take some of our carp with you...

I've hooked 'em on just about anything... nightcrawlers are pretty decent for them (which is weird because they are, allegedly, vegetarians) and last year I hooked and landed two appx 30-inchers on jigs while trying to catch crappie...

Best places are in the Long Tom just past the dam spillway and where Amazon Creek comes in... in the springtime you can see them swarming there by the hundreds.

C
chris61182
They seem to be nearly everywhere at Fern Ridge, from the boat docks at Orchard Point, to the bay next to the little kids play structure, and plenty all over the flats down by Perkin's Peninsula as well.

It really makes me wish I didn't live at the wrong end of the valley.

T
TTFishon
chris61182 said:
They seem to be nearly everywhere at Fern Ridge, from the boat docks at Orchard Point, to the bay next to the little kids play structure, and plenty all over the flats down by Perkin's Peninsula as well.

It really makes me wish I didn't live at the wrong end of the valley.

So there's a right end of the valley.lol

Last edited:
M
mikeredding
TTFishon said:
So there's a right end of the valley.lol

Oh definitely, and we are there!:lol:

C
chris61182
I'm not so sure there's necessarily a right end of the valley, but I'm very sure that the north is the wrong end. It's been hard adjusting to life up here after being in Corvallis for so long.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Can't take the counry out of a true country man

Can't take the counry out of a true country man

chris61182 said:
I'm not so sure there's necessarily a right end of the valley, but I'm very sure that the north is the wrong end. It's been hard adjusting to life up here after being in Corvallis for so long.

chris61182;
Boy do I know what you mean! I lived there most of my life. I finally escaped the madness seven years ago. I comuted to Oregon City from Dallas for 1 1/2 years to work at Home Depot. I ended up hating both places. I am much happier here and love being 1/2 way between Portland & Eugene for all the fishing opportunities. Sorry you are bummed,but you are welcome to come on down anytime you want to escape. I know Portland has a lot to offer,to a person that likes the big city edge,but it holds no glitter for me anymore. Just my 2 cents. Be safe.
Barb

T
TTFishon
Portland is a nice place to visit once in a blue moon, but I sure wouldn't want to live there. I feel for you.

Troutski
Troutski
Funny stuff...

Funny stuff...

This thread is getting funnier each post... Portland and the general area isn't bad. It's just all those other anglers trying to get to there spot first, I am thankful every time I go out. Until I became a MOD on this site I really never paid much attention to the crowd thing up north; but now moderating all threads I see how blessed I am. More often than not I have the water to my self, and I fish twelve months a year - not because I enjoy it mind you; but I want the most bang for my buck;) Any time one of you northern members get a chance to visit our area let us know and I for one will ensure a day without anger and maybe a fish or two. With the ranks swelling down here there has to be at least one of us going out each day a week.

Chuck

T
Troubl31987
Quick question

Quick question

Do you have to have a permit other than your regular fishing license to catch carp? Also... can you fish year round for them? Thank you.

M
mikeredding
Just need a fishing license and yes you can fish for them year round as long as the water is open. I would recommend checking the regs before you go.