Carp fising

T
TTFishon
Actually, now that I think about it. I don't have any scientific facts that disprove it.

T
Troutcatcher
TTFishon said:
Actually, now that I think about it. I don't have any scientific facts that disprove it.

Especialy if you eat a lot of bread and corn :lol:

Last edited:
C
carlosjajuya
need your help

need your help

Drew9870 said:
It was just getting dark so its not really the best pics

hows it going been trying to catch some carp since i got here from chicago 2 years ago . mabee you can tell where that spot is

D
Drew9870
Carlos,

Just try fishing in the Willamette or Columbia River, I hear that usually around docks and marinas are the best spots around here. The Snake River is FULL of Carp also, along with a lot of central/eastern Oregon waters. Corn is usually the best bait, most doughs don't work as good. Just PM me anytime you need further info (Baits, Doughs, etc).

Most of the Carp I have encountered don't bite hard at all, just a slight tug (they just suck it up and spit it back out). I usually also use 6lb test mainline with 4lb Maxima leader, with a swivel and 1/8 oz slide sinker, with a size 12 treble. Squeeze juice out of kernels and fit two pieces on each hook.

It is Illegal, but I usually throw out a tiny bit of corn (just enough to tease them) around my hook.

T
TTFishon
I wonder if baby corn would work?

D
Drew9870
If it contains the amino acid Lysine just like regular corn, it should work. Carp find things by smelling out the amino acids, I am not sure about baby corn, but I know Cayenne Pepper is good for catching carp, fish can't tell if something is spicy or not.

Amino Acids are important for a Trout fisherman also.

F
FishSlayer420
Its not Illigel to snag carp actually its fine. i got a nice snagging hole on the Long Tom down here by Juction City. I mean big Carp 25 to 30 Plus inches

D
Drew9870
I am pretty sure everyone knows it is legal (not meaning in a rude way), but why do you snag them? Are they too hard to catch? :lol:

If you are snagging them and releasing them, then they will die eventually and rot on the bottom. If you are throwing them on the bank, then thats one more fish that can't spawn and have babies for the bass and other fish to feed on.

If you want a real challenge and a fight, carry your fly pole with you to this spot and hook a carp on that. I have been trying to hook them on a fly but they are not spawning yet.

Last edited:
F
FishSlayer420
They are not even a game fish and plus there is probably a few thousand in this space not bigger than 70ft by 70ft even when you use bait you snag em by accident or you just throw on a monster treble hook and yank away. most of the time i throw em back but every so often i leave one or two for the Racoons.

F
FishSlayer420
But hey let me tell you what they are a fighting son of a gun and this hole is way money so if you ever get the chance to get to Monroe (thats the town its in) just let me know on here and we can meet up and catch some BIG carp

F
Fishtopher
Drew9870 said:
It is Illegal, but I usually throw out a tiny bit of corn (just enough to tease them) around my hook.

Why in the world would you condem one form LEGAL harvesting, and then brag about illegally chumming for Carp?? What was it you said to 420?? Oh ya, are they too hard to catch?

D
Drew9870
I do chum for carp, and yes they are pretty hard to catch. But atleast I can get them to mouth my bait (hard) rather than snag them (easy). I don't care if chumming or snagging is illegal or not. I will brag that I use two poles a lot of times. What are you going to do about it?

Carp are hard to catch, the reason why you have to chum is mainly so the fish get used to eating the bait you are presenting to them (make it seem like the bait occurs naturally). I also chum because in winter carp are harder to catch, once you have a school of carp feeding in front of you, then they start competing for food and grab whatever they can.

Obviously they are hard for me to catch, huh? Considering the fact I catch them on a 2 1/2 foot ice fishing pole, and target them with my fly rod. I chum very little bits at a time, and once in a while (like 15 kernels of corn every 30 - 45 mins) so I know none of my chum is rotting on the bottom along with those Carp that have a hole poked in them. You may think a carp is a tough fish because of the habitats it can survive in, if you even hold a carp wrong (pressing on its stomach) you risk damaging major organs.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
It is natural for fish to die and sink to the bottom, who doesn't understand that, and then bacteria, fungus, crustaceans, and possibly catfish start feeding upon the carcass, but once it gets out of control, just imagine a fish tank with fish carcasses sitting around the bottom, the water will even begin to rot, that is probably why it is illegal in oregon to dispose of a dead fish carcass in a waterway, and IMHO probably why it is illegal to chum also, but that is why I keep chumming down to a minimum (so I know the fish will clean it up), and I use recipes that are mainly natural and I know will benefit the fish.

Last edited:
F
FishSlayer420
Dude Carp are an easy fish to catch. Snagging or not Snagging piece of bread with a drip or two of honey and its in the mouth everytime Nevermind my fishing invitation just stay up in Salem Wishing you were catching carp. who targets those dirty things on a regular basis anyway go for the real fish not some crap fish. That you obsese about so much try catching a Steelhead or a Salmon. By the way no Carp i have ever caught went back into the water only to the stomach of whatever eats em after i throw em on the bank and gill em.

D
Drew9870
:lol::lol::lol: Wishing I was catching carp :lol::lol::lol:

They may not be as plentiful here as they are where you are, but I've caught 2 10 pounders today on the willamette. (There will be a lot more in the summer time)

I don't target carp on a regular basis, I mainly target trout and bass, but if I have the oppurtunity to catch big fish, im gonna take it. As for you throwing them on the bank, good for you, they are everywhere around your area, it's not like I release all of my carp, I usually give most of them to my Russian buddies that are fishing next to me.

As for obsessing about carp, I have obsessed about a lot of fish, aquarium fish and wild fish, and there is nothing wrong with knowing lots of information about a fish, especially when your income will depend on them (not saying I will be a carp guide or fish in carp tournaments), and Carp are just a phase for me. I will mainly be targeting Smallmouth, Trout, and Sturgeon once the water warms up

And TRY to catch a Salmon or a Steelhead, I have had my share.

Y
yellowjacket
Carp in Delta Ponds

Carp in Delta Ponds

fourgotten said:
Gratz!!!! Now come on down to Fern Ridge and take some of our carp with you...

I've hooked 'em on just about anything... nightcrawlers are pretty decent for them (which is weird because they are, allegedly, vegetarians) and last year I hooked and landed two appx 30-inchers on jigs while trying to catch crappie...

Best places are in the Long Tom just past the dam spillway and where Amazon Creek comes in... in the springtime you can see them swarming there by the hundreds.

I saw about 6 30" carp in Delta ponds, were in the one over the berm to the left of the boardwalk.

B
beaverfan
FishSlayer420 said:
Dude Carp are an easy fish to catch. Snagging or not Snagging piece of bread with a drip or two of honey and its in the mouth everytime Nevermind my fishing invitation just stay up in Salem Wishing you were catching carp. who targets those dirty things on a regular basis anyway go for the real fish not some crap fish. That you obsese about so much try catching a Steelhead or a Salmon. By the way no Carp i have ever caught went back into the water only to the stomach of whatever eats em after i throw em on the bank and gill em.

Man you got one hell of an attitude. Give it a rest dude. If you want fishing advice on here maybe you should stop attacking people. You are a snagger so any tiny amount of respect people may someday get for you will have to be very hard to earn. Especially with the way you attack people for simply disagreeing.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Keep it friendly,please

Keep it friendly,please

Okay,everyone take two steps back and breathe deep for a few. Remember, it is possible to disagree with other members without attacking each other.
Be safe.
Barb

F
FishSlayer420
Hey beaver fan how about you just mind your own huh? we can all disagree its normal and you just jump in and start talking crap i do not need your advice whatsoever so yeah just keep raggin on me huh. Beavers Suck Ducks Rule how about that civil war last football season huh. Great game

D
Drew9870
I finally found out that carp do exist in Walling pond, I saw five yesterday swimming in a school on top of the water, I asked a guy who looked like he visits the place often if he had any luck with them, he told me he catches them all the time, and people usually use pautzkes eggs.

They didn't seem interested in my secret dough, or my corn recipe.

Does anyone else know any facts on the Carp in Walling Pond