Cabezon lingcod seabass!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Chubbs said:
Went to Otter Rock Surf Shop - picked up a SOT kayak for only $25/day! (In Portland I couldn't find any cheaper than $50) Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'd definitely get started earlier next time - by 2pm the swells were gettin' huge & we got a bit sea sick... but, we caught fish! All black rock fish (attached is a picture of one), no lings. Going back soon!

That's a pretty nice Black!

L
leach laker
That North San Felipe, BN?

That North San Felipe, BN?

Steefhead1... the picture of you with the ray on the beach...That looks like the beach to the North (?) of the lighthouse in San Felipe, Baja Norte! What kind of ray is that?

We were camping at Playa Bonita a few years ago and saw a bunch sunning in the shallow surf. Do they sting?

My youngest sun got stung by something in the surf that day. He said he stepped on something squishy and then his ankle stung. It was red for a few hours but not even as bad as a bee sting.

S
steelhead1
leach laker said:
Steefhead1... the picture of you with the ray on the beach...That looks like the beach to the North (?) of the lighthouse in San Felipe, Baja Norte! What kind of ray is that?

We were camping at Playa Bonita a few years ago and saw a bunch sunning in the shallow surf. Do they sting?

My youngest sun got stung by something in the surf that day. He said he stepped on something squishy and then his ankle stung. It was red for a few hours but not even as bad as a bee sting.

Yes indeed,that is san felipe!went there for my honeymoon for a week.those rays do have a nasty barbed stinger,if it was one of those that got your boy,he must not have gotten poked too deep,or it would have been a nasty wound. a a jellyfish,maybe?I also cought a bunch of fish there called croakers,they made a funny burping noise when you pulled them out of the water.I love that place,I want to go back this spring but I am a little freaked out about the drug war thing:shock:

Last edited:
L
leach laker
Thanks for the info....the morning he got stung was the morning we saw them fluttering all along the shore. Awesome place! Sadly we won't be taking any trips down there anytime soon for the same reason. Things have been changing. Caravanning might be good and of course the upside is that Baja my not be as overun.

Did you fish off shore at all?