Depoe Bay 4/16/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishpdx
I went out to Depoe bay try some lingcod fishing. The weather was not so bad, warm about 67 degrees 6-7 foot swells . Fished from 8:30 till 4 pm . The morning bite was good, landed a 30 inch ling guessing about 6 or 7 pounds. Didn't weight it. And hooked into some smaller lings but quickly released them, probably about 18-24 inchers. Some were legal but I decided to let them go. then the clouds cleared up and the wind picked up causing bigger waves. tried different spots and only had 1 hookup nice fighting fish about 40 inch ling ( not sure just guessing) And got it to the shore and started pulling it up and the line just snapped, had #30 braid. After 2 hours I hooked into a 10 inch cabezon and a 18 inch rockfish. Released the cabezon and kept the rockfish. Pretty slow but ended up with 2 nice fish for dinner. What I noticed is the bigger the swell the bigger the fish, not sure why maybe they come up closer to shore or just because I use bigger jigs.

Here's the ling I caught, nice fish looks beautiful. My phone died so didn't snap a pic of the rockfish.

Depoe Bay Fishing Report
Depoe Bay Fishing
 
PK Yi
very awesome. I would love to try this one day. never caught a lingcod before in oregon.
 
rogerdodger
nice Ling!
 
Fishpdx
sammy said:
very awesome. I would love to try this one day. never caught a lingcod before in oregon.

The fight they put up is incredible and also they are very tasty fish.
 
bass
Sounds like a really good day with some nice fish!
 
cdumitru78
damn, thats awesome, never caught a lingcod either. Whats the secret?
 
Fishpdx
cdumitru78 said:
damn, thats awesome, never caught a lingcod either. Whats the secret?

Big jighead and nice big grub, bounce it along the bottom. 3 ounc jighead and 6 inch curly tail grub.
 
O. mykiss
I went to depot yesterday and had a hard time finding any keepers. Surf was really nice, I landed 5 all of which were 18-21" ugh
 
  • Like
Reactions: Irishrover
Fishpdx
O. mykiss said:
I went to depot yesterday and had a hard time finding any keepers. Surf was really nice, I landed 5 all of which were 18-21" ugh

Yea use a bigger setup, you will hook into legal size lings,
 
O. mykiss
I was using 6" grubs in the color you recommended. Tough day
 
Fishpdx
O. mykiss said:
I was using 6" grubs in the color you recommended. Tough day

What kind of jighead did you use? I usually never get undersize lings on a 3 oz jighead. Unless they are really hungry.
 
O. mykiss
I was using both 2 and 3 oz. that is a snaggy mother up there! I lost near 15 rigs
 
Fishpdx
O. mykiss said:
I was using both 2 and 3 oz. that is a snaggy mother up there! I lost near 15 rigs

Yes you loose a lot of rigs, but you catch more fish. the more risks you take the more fish you take. But once you fish that locating for a while you will know where there's the most snags and learn where the rocks are. I only loose 2-5 rigs a day , I used to loose about 15 when I first started . Well still happy you had some luck.
 
cdumitru78
Carp said:
Big jighead and nice big grub, bounce it along the bottom. 3 ounc jighead and 6 inch curly tail grub.

Sweet, I gotta get out there and try it, would be fun to catch some. Would I be able to use the same set up and bounce of the bottom around rocky formations around Cannon Breach where I regularly catch perch?
 
O. mykiss
I have been having great luck off the Newport jetties too.
 
O. mykiss
Maybe it was just a day when the big boys were not hungry, who knows
 
Fishpdx
cdumitru78 said:
Sweet, I gotta get out there and try it, would be fun to catch some. Would I be able to use the same set up and bounce of the bottom around rocky formations around Cannon Breach where I regularly catch perch?

Lingcod love deep rocky water, cannon beach is mostly sandy and shallow, I'm pretty sure you can find a few in that area, But I would focus more on jetties and deep places like 30-100 feet deep. I've had luck off Newport jetty and Depoe bay, but others have great luck in Tillamook jetty and Astoria.


Read Depoe Bay Fishing Reports:​

https://www.oregonfishingforum.com/threads/depoe-bay-fishing-reports.615594/
 
  • Like
Reactions: Irishrover
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom