Busy morning on the water

T
TimberTodd
I launched at ramp C around 6:30 this morning. The fog was low around the edges of the lake but as I paddled across it was clear in the middle. I drifted along the bank across from ramp C throwing everything I had looking for bass. Fished till 9:00 with only 1 hit on a jig. The highlight was 2 bald eagles that were sitting in the top of a tree beside me. When I came in, the bank along ramp C was full of people. On my way out I counted 2dozen cars at the dam and that many boats in easy view. I hope others had better luck. The bass are still eluding me.

H
HaggAssassin
Great morning on the west and north banks! Got some good time in with my girls. Arrived 6:45, some fog. My 7 year old caught her first rainbow(she's got several mountain lake brookies under her belt)- an 8 inch stocker on an orange poweregg. Not hardly worth the trouble of cleaning him so we turned him loose. Next up was my 5 year old pulling in a 9 inch stocker on a chartreuse poweregg. Put him on the stringer in fear of going home with nothing for the grill. At about 9:30 I put a second 1/8 oz sliding sinker on my 7 year old's line and casted her out 20-25 feet farther/deeper to try a new depth. Within 5 minutes she got another strong bite and set the hook like a pro, pulling in a nice fat 13 inch stocker. She was stoked, she caught dinner. I fished a Joe's Flies lure in white/red/black, an orange roostertail, and a brass little cleo to no avail. Worms and berkley gulp corn floated with the help of a fish pill got two nice hard strikes but I couldn't hook 'em. Moved to the north end at 10:00, hiking the trail throwing in every 100 yds or so(by now the girls were chasing bugs, collecting sticks, rocks, etc). No more action but lots of sunshine and smiles. Saw the Stimson herd of 135 or so elk, 2 deer, a cottontail, and a couple of eagles...could not want for a better day with my gals. IMAG0514.jpgIMAG0515.jpgIMAG0518.jpgIMAG0521.jpgIMAG0526.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Any time a grown up is out fished by a 5 year old and a 7 year old is an awesome time! :clap: The fact that they are girls makes it even better! :lol:

F
fisherofmen
what a great day you guys had. thanks for sharing.

T
TimberTodd
HaggAssassin it looks like you and the kiddos did alright. Thanks for sharing the pics.

H
Hendo30
TimberTodd and HaggAssassin thanks for the report and sharing the pics.

bass
bass
Thanks for the reports guys. Great job getting your kids into some fish HaggAssassin. Plus, I bet that they really loved the chasing bugs, collecting sticks, rocks, etc phase - that is often my kids favorite part of a fishing trip :)

Sorry you did not get into any bass TimberTodd. I have been thinking about hitting Hagg in my kayak one of these weekends, but I wanted to wait until the water was a little warmer and the bass were in an aggressive mood. Sounds like it is still several weeks off. If you don't mind sharing I would be curious as to how you were fishing. Were you hitting the bank or fishing structure that was a bit deeper? In the spring I often find the bite to better in the afternoon since the water has often warmed a bit. Best of luck and keep at them!

T
TimberTodd
Hi Bass, I actually did both. I threw senkos, finness worms, spinnerbaits and jigs aound downed trees along the bank and fished senkos and finness worms deeper. The last couple of days should help warm the water some.

bass
bass
TimberTodd said:
Hi Bass, I actually did both. I threw senkos, finness worms, spinnerbaits and jigs aound downed trees along the bank and fished senkos and finness worms deeper. The last couple of days should help warm the water some.

Thanks for the reply. I figured you were probably pretty thorough, but I thought I should ask to be sure. Sometimes when I am out fishing I get home and think why did I spend all day doing X, why didn't I try Y.

T
TimberTodd
Bass I have been there and done that many times.