Boat trailer problem.

F
fish face
I just bought a new truck (2007 Dodge Ram). I noticed that on my boat trailer, I have brake lights and turn signals but cannot get the running lights to work. What could be the problem?

P
pinstriper
Lots of resources at etrailer.com. Diagnostic tools, instruction videos.

With a cheap (sometimes its the free item) multitester from Harbor Freight, you can test the voltage of each pin on the truck, and do a continuity check from each pin on the trailer side.

HFT also sells a little gizmo for under $10 that you plug into your truck and it tells you which is working or not. The catch is they only have if for a 4-way flat connector so it won't help diagnose a 6-way or 7-way. Actually, they also have an adapter for a 7-way that you can use to connect a trailer with a 4-way, and you could use that with the tester.

But really, you need to know how to use a tester anyway, to make the repair.

A lot depends on how the trailer is wired, as well as how the truck is wired.

Also, something something something LED lights different something.

P
Pni_fisherdude
A lot of times the running lights and brake lights are the same bulb. It is a single bulb with 2 elements inside of it and a lot of times the one used for the running lights burns long before the one for the brakes. I would start with the bulbs.
JB

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

plumbertom
plumbertom
pinstriper said:
Lots of resources at etrailer.com. Diagnostic tools, instruction videos.

With a cheap (sometimes its the free item) multitester from Harbor Freight, you can test the voltage of each pin on the truck, and do a continuity check from each pin on the trailer side.

HFT also sells a little gizmo for under $10 that you plug into your truck and it tells you which is working or not. The catch is they only have if for a 4-way flat connector so it won't help diagnose a 6-way or 7-way. Actually, they also have an adapter for a 7-way that you can use to connect a trailer with a 4-way, and you could use that with the tester.

But really, you need to know how to use a tester anyway, to make the repair.

A lot depends on how the trailer is wired, as well as how the truck is wired.

Also, something something something LED lights different something.
This is good advice.
If i knew you were in the Eugene area I would offer to come help you with my meter.
In particular, the part about having and learning to use a tester.
Even if it's as simple a tester as a trouble light.
Better still a Volt/Ohm Meter (VOM).
You can spend an hour trying to figure it out with no success or you can spend a few minutes with a tester and know where the problem lies.
For most trailer light problems, you only need a trouble light.
Hook the ground to a clean (not painted) metal spot, turn on the headlights and check the plug on the truck. If you get a light at one of the three, Usually the brown wire if proper standard wiring, CoyQit_WO8C7-1kHQBG_NNYeI4BQvxX89eS3UBLvwpZBA-3coM.png the truck wiring is good. It's a good Idea to switch the ground clip to the white wire at that point to check the plug ground. Again if the trouble light comes on the ground is good.
Once you know the truck plug is good then you check the trailer.
Plug the trailer into the truck And follow the wires checking at each connection on the ground wire for power.
4-wire-trailer-wiring-diagram-3.jpg

F
fish face
Thanks, looks like I have some investigating to do. By the way, the lights are LED--if that makes a difference.

P
Pni_fisherdude
Yup it does. its not wat I suggested

plumbertom
plumbertom
Pni_fisherdude said:
Yup it does. its not wat I suggested

That could complicate things.
I'd still check the Plug on the tow vehicle as the first step.
Then I'd check the ground connection on the trailer.
Those converters for led lights would require a bit of reserch for me to help out beyond that point.

F
fish face
Found the problem. It was a blown 20 amp fuse. I got lucky. Thanks to all who responded. I have learned a lot!!

plumbertom
plumbertom
fish face said:
Found the problem. It was a blown 20 amp fuse. I got lucky. Thanks to all who responded. I have learned a lot!!
Wow. It takes a lot to blow a 20 amp fuse.
Seems to me if it was the tail/running lights on that fuse, the tow vehicle tail lights should have been out also.
In most American made some foreign made vehicles, the dash lights are on the same fuse so you can tell while driving if it is out.
You might want to keep an eye on that. Usually it takes a direct short to blow a twenty.

F
fish face
I will thanks. What confused me was that the break and turns signals were working and I assumed that if it was a blown fuse, then nothing would work.