Ropes & Anchors

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Hey all,

I bought a Scadden XTC pro guide this winter, 3 person inflatable raft. Only plan on using it for rivers and lakes.

I’m wondering what I ought to use for rope for mooring, and for anchoring? What anchor weight should I use for a boat this light? It’s about 100# by itself.

I was at Bi Mart and saw they have a decent selection of nylon rope in various sizes. Would one of those work, or does it need to be specific “marine” rope?

I’ve read about people using a mesh bag full of rocks for an anchor. Would a heavy duty laundry delicates bag full of river rocks work for anchoring something like this? That would certainly be a lot cheaper, and easier to store, than an anchor.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Dr(wgt+Wl(xP)+Dpt}vsCr=6R+-Ch. ___Dr=Drag, weight of load plus Wl= wind load P=per person plus Dpt= depth of water adding Cr=current flow equals 6R=6 rocks plus or minus your Ch=choice. Use 50lb braid marine grade for anchor line. OR just use a bag of rocks and carry extra rocks plus 1000ft clothesline for extra scope. "Reference from JD" not me. Tony :giggle: :LOL::LOL::LOL:

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Never was any good at math. The extra rocks and nylon rope route sounds good to me haha.

Casting Call
Casting Call
The Scadden pro series are produced under the same watchful eye as the West Marine inflatables by Zodiac. The Scadden Is a good solid RIB with its 5 plus chambers of air. I owned a 10.9ft WM with a 9.9hp. A 7lb Danfoss anchor rated at 15lbs will sever you well. 5/16in anchor rope of any kind will also serve you well, just scope the anchor lone 3 1/2X the depth. Be safe and good luck on all your trials. Tony

Reactions: FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Casting Call said:
The Scadden pro series are produced under the same watchful eye as the West Marine inflatables by Zodiac. The Scadden Is a good solid RIB with its 5 plus chambers of air. I owned a 10.9ft WM with a 9.9hp. A 7lb Danfoss anchor rated at 15lbs will sever you well. 5/16in anchor rope of any kind will also serve you well, just scope the anchor lone 3 1/2X the depth. Be safe and good luck on all your trials. Tony
Thanks for the tip! Those don’t seem to be too expensive either, which is a plus. Wasn’t aware they’re made by the same factory as the WM, that sets me at ease a bit. Nevertheless, not planning to do anything too crazy with this boat. Just some gentle floats down the McKenzie, Willamette, and surrounding lakes.