Big fat trout! (pt. 2)

troutdude
troutdude
Since we got those fatties (posted in Pt. 1); my buddies and I decided to get up earlier the next day. So, we did with coffee in hand. We put in at "Awesome Lake" that morning about 7:15. (We didn't arrive until 9:30 the day before). Here is what we found, as we hit the water. Plus, there was a bald eagle high in a tree on the north side.

However, with all of the trolling that we had done the previous two days...the battery was depleted. So, we had to use the gas motor. It was also VERY windy.

Our pilot soon tired of the wind. So, we plopped ourselves down into a nice pocket and set anchor. About a dozen casts later, and I bagged another nice 18" fatty bow!

From there, we motor over and parked our boat. We then proceeded to explore from shore. Jerry wound up catching a nice 17", from his vantage point (note the boat cushions making a very comfortable seated position LOL). He also got a couple of other bows too.

I decided to move around the corner to a rocky point. It looked like a good pocket; and boy was I right. First cast and BAM! Line got stripped like crazy! It jumped, it tail danced, it threw its head all around! FISH ON fo' sho'! Got it up to the bank, and it took OFF like a banshee...strippin' even more line out!!! Some 10 minutes later, I finally got her to shore. One more fat 18" for the stringer.

A short while later, I landed a nice 15". Then, just as we were packin' up and said "lets go"...BAM! Here we go again...bzzzzzzzzzzz....line got stripped and another 10 minutes or so...landed a 16" that fought like he was much bigger! :D

What an awesome day!

Here's the catch.

Oh, and we had lizards and deer in our camp. Also saw a herd o' deer along the Crooked River, including several big bucks. We also saw bald eagles, white pelicans, a coyote and more. In all, a totally awesome trip!

Last edited:
T
TimberTodd
Well done. That definitly does sound like an awesome trip.

troutdude
troutdude
Indeed. I also figured out a new "secret scent" too. Now to try that scent mix, on other water bodies............

C
cowboysfan
you guys done good! looks like you have found a good lake, bet the girl was loving that deer!

J
JeannaJigs
Good place to go for some bambi steaks LOL. Sounds like a pretty good trip!

T
TTFishon
Nothing like some nice fat trout. Thanks for sharing part 2 of your trip TD!

V
Van
Great report Troutdude. I have very fond memories of Prineville res. I have been going there for almost 40 years. Caught my first trout there as just a little kid. It really is a great place.

Irishrover
Irishrover
What a great place to be. Glad you had a good time. I haven't made it there this year but I do like fishing there. We like Jasper point camp ground and the crappie fishing by the log boom around the marina. Nice looking trout you caught!