Best piece of advice....?

H
halibuthitman
bang tails, roostertails, and most store bought wooley buggers have too long of a tail, if you are getting a lot of hits but no hook-ups on any of these trim half the tail off... you will start hooking up.:cool:

T
trollin4trout
If you're not catching anything doin' what you're doin'- change! often- location, lures, bait, presentation- if you keep doin' what you been doin'- you're gonna get what ya' been gettin'!

For a real newb- just learning to fish- go with someone who does know- you'll learn a ton and then go with someone different- you'll learn more new tricks- everybody fishes differently.

And don't give up- the next fish could be 3 1/2 feet long!

Jim

F
fishkiller
Don't forget to put the plug in the drift boat before it comes off the trailer.:D

S
stream2.5
fishkiller said:
Don't forget to put the plug in the drift boat before it comes off the trailer.:D

and heres where this little tid bit comes in....

boat will always stand for break out another thousand, unless you buy a high performance boat, in which case it means ten thousand,... if your scotch , poor, just plain cheep, or lazy.. stay on the bank or it will cost you money...

its a game of seconds and inches, but almost is only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades so practice often..

R
Razz
Talk to the guy or gal with gray hair they may have more to share than you think.Most old timer's have forgotten more about fishing than many new to semi new fisherman know .Ask a gray hair or no hair how long he's been fishing if the answers is 40-50 years Bingo . What's changed since you started fishing,anything still work that you first learned to use? Will you share any secrets ?????????????????

O
OnTheFly
Razz said:
Talk to the guy or gal with gray hair they may have more to share than you think.Most old timer's have forgotten more about fishing than many new to semi new fisherman know .Ask a gray hair or no hair how long he's been fishing if the answers is 40-50 years Bingo . What's changed since you started fishing,anything still work that you first learned to use? Will you share any secrets ?????????????????

Except for the old timer part, Ninja, Raincatcher, and myself know more than you could imagine.;)

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
Except for the old timer part, Ninja, Raincatcher, and myself know more than you could imagine.;)

mabe I could get all three of your cell #'s so I could text for advice from the river.... I would be willing to pay the data charges!!;):lol:

G
gypotats
give up fishing! more fish for me, ha ha ha:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Y
yakker2
find somewhere to buy worms other than a store with tackle.$2. always turns into $20.

F
fishnquest
When fishing with 4 or 5 of your buddies, all in waders, don't go tromping down the middle of the river in front of everyone else fishing from the banks. Herding the fish isn't going to help. Yes, I actually saw that last week and no, it wasn't me.

G
GDBrown
Advice to live by

Advice to live by

Fish-On Fred said:
In the off season, go to your stream and map out structure. Keep a log book on your trips. List everything.

The best advice so far. Use the log book (fishing journal) on every trip to the water whether you catch fish or not. Knowing what it was like when you didn't catch fish is as important as the day you did catch fish!:shock:

I always use Polarized glasses! Remember that fish eat worms when they are small and they never forget that they are good food. Same goes for insects. Fish that leave fresh water and return change their eating habits when they leave saltwater, IE. saltwater baits up to reach of tide then switch to stream/river baits.

GD

G
GDBrown
If you must fish for your food do it at Safeway or Albertsons. It will be cheaper and way less frustrating!

GD

H
halibuthitman
GDBrown said:
If you must fish for your food do it at Safeway or Albertsons. It will be cheaper and way less frustrating!

GD
ha! Rodger that!!!

F
fourgotten
Few things in this world are as useful as a good stick. Find one each time that you go out, especially if you're going to be wading.

Be flexible and innovative. Always be ready to change your way of thinking.

Be friendly to your fellow fishermen, they may know something that you don't and, more importantly, they might be willing to share.

Learn three knots inside out. Tie them daily (and never forget to wet a knot before you snug it up). It doesn't matter which three, as long as you can tie them in your sleep and they can do the following: tie on a hook, connect two lines together, create a dropper loop. You don't need to be a knot god, but make those three knots work for you.

Respect yourself and your environment. Don't leave crap lying around.

T
Troutier Bassier
GDBrown said:

GD

A.K.A Grocery Fishing.

S
SantiamDrifter
I believe there are two things that make a fisher-person successful.

1.)Being able to read the water.
-You can have the best boat, the best gear. You could be fishing with the best bait. Heck even if there was ONE ultimate lure that was guaranteed to catch fish no matter what. If you are not fishing where the fish are, you will not catch fish. I hear a lot of people give advice to new fisher-persons. “Watch where the elite fisher-persons fish.” The problem with that is fish move. A person can watch someone catch fish out of a certain slot one day, then go fish there the next and get skunked. Fish don’t hold in the same spot in high water as they do in low water. And if the water is “perfect”, then the fish can darn well be just about anywhere in the river. The same goes for fishing in the morning compared to fishing at midday. It’s a big circle. When it’s nighttime the fish will move back into the tail outs, calm shallow water, places you would never think to fish. But as the sun comes up and people start fishing for them, and floating over the top of them in boats, the fish will move back into the deeper water, the fast choppy water, behind big boulders, or beneath trees and into the shade. So just because you caught a fish out of one slot doesn’t mean a fish will be holding there when you come back. Knowing where the fish go and when they go there will astronomically increase your odds.

2.)Putting in the effort.
- You could be smack dab in the middle of the hottest fishery in the world, and still get skunked. But spending time on the river learning about each river, each run of fish, understanding they have their own tendencies. Knowing what works on that river and what doesn’t will cut down on the time you waste trying 1000 different offerings. What baits, what scents, what colors, what size blade. People who spend time on that river know what to fish. And as stated above, where to fish! Ask the “old timers” for advice. Spending the money for one day of fishing with a guide can cut years of learning in half. But once you know where to spend your time fishing and what’s going to work, the fish will be there waiting for you.

S
SantiamDrifter
fourgotten said:
Few things in this world are as useful as a good stick. Find one each time that you go out, especially if you're going to be wading.

Be flexible and innovative. Always be ready to change your way of thinking.

Be friendly to your fellow fishermen, they may know something that you don't and, more importantly, they might be willing to share.

Learn three knots inside out. Tie them daily (and never forget to wet a knot before you snug it up). It doesn't matter which three, as long as you can tie them in your sleep and they can do the following: tie on a hook, connect two lines together, create a dropper loop. You don't need to be a knot god, but make those three knots work for you.

Respect yourself and your environment. Don't leave crap lying around.

yup! tying one knot a million times is better then tying ten knots 100 times.

C
capblack
the best advice I can give is, learn how to have fun just fishing with friends and family. Once youve learned how to do that then catching the fish is just extra. If you get frustrated by not catching fish, you may give up all together, not realizing the important part. This may be most important when steelhead fishing. Your not always going to catch fish. Just learn how to have fun, and be thankful your fishing at all. Brian

I
Ifishforfood
you arn't gonna' catch fish if you reel in your bait every 15 seconds!

E
eggs
GDBrown said:

GD
I'm only in for like $2000 for the 1 hatchery I have brought home.. about par for Safeway prices per pound :D