Berkley's Power Eggs...best thing since apple pie!!!

M
minnowmagnet
I started using powereggs and they are great for many reasons. I stopped using them for C&R however because the trout always inhale the bait up to the gills. I don't have the same problem when fishing with good old worms.

troutdude
troutdude
Yes, I understand how they gobble up the Power Eggs. However, a genuine ODFW Fisheries Biologist once told me a trick. When you cannot easily remove a hook for release; simply cut your line as close to the hook as is feasible. The fish have an enzyme in their blood, that dissolves the hook in 3 days. And the released fish is fine.

B
Big3d
The white eggs are great at tricking the pellet heads!!! gotta love em, never gonna buy dough again!

B
bassman503
Yes I do fish with power eggs but rarely. Maybe it's because I'm more confident with powerbait and grew up using it. Some sort of bias-ness I guess lol.

A
albeitcrazy
Hello, I am new to fishing for trout and fishing in Oregon. I started assembling the necessary gear and can only find Powerbait. Are Power eggs Berkley as well? All they have listed on their website is Magnum eggs, which do not look like what you were all describing. Any help on where to get these would be appreciated. I did not find them at Bi-Mart, Fishermans Marine or Dick's. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing.

* I will be in Eugene tomorrow and will try Cabela's.

S
sherman
They should be with the regular power bait jars. They are made by Berkley & I find them at Bi-Mart. They could have been out of them do to there growing popularity. Cabela's seems to me to be very unorganized when it comes to how they have their fishing stuff laid out so you might want to ask. Point & case I was looking for some brush hogs for bass fishing & you would think that all there plastics would be down the same isle but nooo.

B
Big3d
If You can find it, get the eggs that are sold under the Berkley Gulp Brand rather than the traditional power egg

troutdude
troutdude
I have found, for me, that there is no difference in the effectiveness between Berkley's Power Eggs versus the Magnum or Gulp variety. But, Magnum & Gulp cost more. In fact, in a couple of literal side x side tests...Power Eggs out fished the other two.

Are Gulp and Magnum worth it? No, not too me...I have caught hundreds of trout on standard Power Eggs. Just my .02, but why pay more when you find something that works as as well as Power Eggs? (I got over 30 last weekend on 'em).

I've found Power Eggs in at least four or five BiMarts. And they are in stock at Wholesale Sports too. I would be completely shocked if Dick's does not carry them. Cabela's ought to have them as well.

Last edited:
C
capblack
i have to agree with td on this one. i never buy anything except the regular power eggs, unless theres a color thats not available in the regular power eggs. i actually think the regular power eggs last longer, and you can't keep the trout off em, so i dont see a need to spend the extra money. as far as where to get them, i dont know that ive been in a sporting goods department that didn't carry them. they even have them at wally world.

Reactions: albeitcrazy
A
albeitcrazy
Thanks for all the info. Cabela's had Power egg magnums, but nothing else labeled power egg. I will try another Bi-Mart as the 2 I already tried did not have the,. I am suprised Berkley does not have them on their website. They only show Magnums, and only in a couple colors. In good news though, I picked up a brand new rod and reel at Cabela's and hope to break them in on my first trip ever to Hagg Lake next week!

B
beaverfan
albeitcrazy said:
Thanks for all the info. Cabela's had Power egg magnums, but nothing else labeled power egg. I will try another Bi-Mart as the 2 I already tried did not have the,. I am suprised Berkley does not have them on their website. They only show Magnums, and only in a couple colors. In good news though, I picked up a brand new rod and reel at Cabela's and hope to break them in on my first trip ever to Hagg Lake next week!

These are what Troutdude is talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, that's them alright. Thank you Jay.

Maybe I was mistaken. I found them on Berkley's site, and they call them "magnum". I thought, for some reason, that magnums were different that what I've been using. Sorry, I really thought that there was a difference.

A
albeitcrazy
LOL! I just got back from the Bi-Mart on Beaverton Hillsdale where the cashier stopped short of calling me crazy because I insisted the Magnum eggs were not the same thing. I'm glad I can finally put the search to bed after hitting most stores between Portland and Eugene looking for the elusive "regular" power eggs.

All kidding aside, I really appreciate the great information and help you all have provided! I can hardly wait to get my line in the water! :D

troutdude
troutdude
I'm glad to see that you took it all in stride. At least we now have solved the mystery.

BTW, i use either a size 6 or size 4 single Egg hook. Slide on two Power Eggs (same color or two different colors), and they'll float the hook. If hits are slow, I sometimes add Berkly Trout Jelly and / or Trout Scent to attract the fish. The jelly is also the same stuff "injected" into the power eggs and tastes good to the fish, so they'll keep biting.

I also start w/ a long leader (about 3'), unless the water is shallow. If no bites, then a shortened leader may be the trick.

And a small plastic bead between your sliding egg sinker, and the swivel, is a good idea too. The bead helps keep the sinker from sliding onto your swivel and "fouling up".

So, it's sinker onto your main line, then a bead and then tie on a swivel (I use smallish black barrel swivels). Then, tie the leader onto the swivel and add your hook on the terminal end. Bait up and Voila! Be ready, sometimes you'll get a hit as it sinks.

One more tip: reel in your line until you have just a foot or two of slack line out. When you see your line start to pick up (OFF the water) and straighten out...SET your hook and FISH ON!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Y
YouCanKissMyZeebaas
Hiya Fellow NW Trouters-

I just started fishing for trout (mainly at Trillium Lake) and have been using the Carolina rig with Berkley's Powerbait in chartreuse, which has been doing quite well for me (except for now while the water is getting warmer and turning the bite off). But after reading 10 pages on the topic of Berkley's Power Eggs, my next trip to Trillium will be with some PE's.

Troutdude,

you mention "Berkley Trout Jelly/Trout Scent", but all I can find is their "Trout Dip" in corn, roe, and mint garlic on their website. Are those what you meant? If so, which flavor? Also, would it be wrong to fill the PE jars with the dip so they can marinate in it before putting them on the hook?

You also mentioned that the plain on PE's (the magnums) are just as effective and longer lasting than higher priced eggs. But does that go for the scales/sparkly eggs too?

By the way, you are like the Yoda of PE's. Thanks for your wisdom and experience.

Fish On!!

J
JTLunker
I have been using Power Eggs since they were introduce about 8 years ago. I have won multiple trout derbies in a wide range of still water. Nothing holds a candle to the productivity they produce. I have introduced them to countless anglers and endorse them as the premium choice for artificial bait fisherman. My favorites are pink pearl, chartreuse, red, and all the garlic series. Glad they are getting the recognition they deserve as I have ate a ton of trout over the years. It's not about catching your limit, but trying to catch as many as you can w/out gutting them. Keep the rod in your hand and crimp the barb. The first little tug set em up! Good luck out there. Thanks for sharing Troutdude!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. Thanks for chiming in. I echo your comment, about crimping the barbs.

Good luck this year!

T
trouthunter
I use the berkley power eggs on a wedding ring when trolling to they work great just but two of the Garlic scented on the hook it works great for me been usuing it at Hagg this year.

M
montym
Here is a pint for for TD (for telling me about this thread) and PE. The wife and I had a good time at Bethany today, 7 trouts between us in a couple of hours. There was another gent with us using power bait at the same place, he had a couple of bites when we had around 10. All of us were fishing off the bottom, he had green power bait and we had 2 eggs in different colors on each hook. I understand he's a pretty experienced fisherman, the wife and I combined still have not reached double figures yet; so definitely one up for PE here. I didn't end the day looking like a rainbow either.

Felt good after a wet bite less few hours at Henry Hagg and Commonwealth lakes. About to get better now, wife's got a couple on the grill.....

Cheers
M

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome Mr. & Mrs. Monty. Happy to see that, your catch rate is up. Well done; and thanks for the report!