Berkley's Power Eggs...best thing since apple pie!!!

H
Hawk
beaverfan said:
I think another great bait that doesn't get a lot of use anymore is those colored cheese scented marshmallows. They don't stay on the hook well but they work well and float incredibly good. Plus there dirt cheap! Plus they smell good and aren't very messy.

The small white mini marshmallows work purty good at times, tooo.

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool:

L
Left Bank
Hey JHawk, I have a hard time finding spring green myself but the store on the way to Hagg always has it in stock. I fill up with it each time I'm by there. Power eggs do work the best at keeping the bait on but I'm in a rutt lately and it seems that anything I put on the end of the line will not catch a fish so I can't say for sure about it's effectiveness.

troutdude
troutdude
beaverfan said:
I think another great bait that doesn't get a lot of use anymore is those colored cheese scented marshmallows. They don't stay on the hook well but they work well and float incredibly good. Plus there dirt cheap! Plus they smell good and aren't very messy.

Good point. It's been a while, but I have used those mellows, and they do work!

troutdude
troutdude
Left Bank said:
Hey JHawk, I have a hard time finding spring green myself but the store on the way to Hagg always has it in stock. I fill up with it each time I'm by there. Power eggs do work the best at keeping the bait on but I'm in a rutt lately and it seems that anything I put on the end of the line will not catch a fish so I can't say for sure about it's effectiveness.

I've been on four different trout outings so far this season, all to different locations. I have caught fish and/or limited out on Power Eggs every time. I never leave home without Spring Green, Orange, Bubble Gum (pink and white), White, Red, and now also Chartruese (yellow and green mix).

And, don't forget the nightcrawlers or Gulp! Power Worms/Crawlers either!

Plus, as odd as this may sound, I also carry Purple colored Power Bait. A few years ago at a lake near Pendleton--purple bait was the ONLY reason we caught any trout at all!

BTW, I tried purple woolly buggers at Alton Baker Canal last month. No hits, but that doesn't mean that they won't work too.

Last edited:
Reactions: halibuthitman
J
JHawk
I found Spring Green Power Bait at BM, but am I correct in understanding that Power Eggs comes in Spring Green as well?

I looked on Berkley's website and it doesn't say that the Power Egg Floating Magnums come in Spring Green. Am I looking at the wrong stuff on their site?

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
JHawk said:
I found Spring Green Power Bait at BM, but am I correct in understanding that Power Eggs comes in Spring Green as well?

I looked on Berkley's website and it doesn't say that the Power Egg Floating Magnums come in Spring Green. Am I looking at the wrong stuff on their site?

Yes, Power Eggs come in Spring Green...just like Power Bait does.

And you do NOT need the "magnums" nor the "Gulp!" variety...just the plain Spring Green Power Eggs.

J
JHawk
troutdude said:

And you do NOT need the "magnums" nor the "Gulp!" variety...just the plain Spring Green Power Eggs.

I'll have to keep looking I guess. I just went up to Fisherman's Marine at Delta Park and they didn't have the Spring Green Power Eggs either. They were even out of the Spring Green PB.

troutdude
troutdude
They are a popular color, so maybe the places that you've looked are just sold out.

Try Bi-Mart or Freddy's. I get mine at Bi-Mart, and they are never out.

N
n8r1
The Bi-Mart on Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy has them. I bought a jar of them on Friday. You might want to call first and double check though, they go through some stuff pretty quickly over there. Phone number is (503) 626-5070.

E
eggs
hmmmmm wonder if power eggs(which i use when fish aren't hitting single eggs) would work for drift fishing for steel?? they float and have scent....

troutdude
troutdude
Drifting Power Eggs for Steelie's is a really good idea! They do stay on the hooks a LONG time.

I'm gonna have to try that!!!

But, let's us know how well it works, if you beat me to the punch.

E
eggs
Going after steel tomorrow although muddy water will try powereggs and yarn and see how I do..

B
beaverfan
I have thought about using them to drift too. After thinking about it awhile I don't think it would work that great, here's why. They aren't buoyant enough to float the hook. Depending on the brand it usually takes two eggs to float a #8 hook right. Well how many do think it would take to float a #1. They could however work in smaller water in the summer if you use a small enough hook. If they were more buoyant I think they would be absolutely killer!

Also they'd be perfect for drift fishing for trout!

E
eggs
I use 8's all the time for steel.. never had an issue with it

troutdude
troutdude
I have used them already to drift for trout in Alton Baker Canal...and they worked GREAT!

And, I think a smaller hook for winter runs would be fine too. Go for it!

F
fishnquest
I think they are ALL magnum

I think they are ALL magnum

troutdude said:

I was talking to my buddy last week about trout fishing and this thread. White power eggs were recommended and he agreed you don't need "magnum" or "gulp", just plain power eggs. So I went on a quest yesterday to find them. I went to four stores and all had power eggs, but every one has the word "magnum floating" in smaller letters at the bottom of the label, both on top and on the front. So I call him up and ask him to get a bottle and read me the label. Sure enough, the label says "magnum floating" just like the ones I found.
So, is there really such a thing as "plain", as in NOT magnum?
Might seem trivial to you guys, but when I go to the store, its a 4 hour tour. Inquiring minds want to know :think:

J
JHawk
fishnquest said:
I was talking to my buddy last week about trout fishing and this thread. White power eggs were recommended and he agreed you don't need "magnum" or "gulp", just plain power eggs. So I went on a quest yesterday to find them. I went to four stores and all had power eggs, but every one has the word "magnum floating" in smaller letters at the bottom of the label, both on top and on the front. So I call him up and ask him to get a bottle and read me the label. Sure enough, the label says "magnum floating" just like the ones I found.
Might seem trivial to you guys, but when I go to the store, its a 4 hour tour. Inquiring minds want to know :think:

Also, I have yet to be able to find Spring Green Power Eggs. Does anyone have a picture of a bottle they can post? I went to Bi-Mart on B-H Hwy right after n8r1 posted the other day and could not find them. I couldn't even find a slot on the shelf for them, although they did have tons of plain Power Bait in Spring Green.

H
Hawk
beaverfan said:
I have thought about using them to drift too. After thinking about it awhile I don't think it would work that great, here's why. They aren't buoyant enough to float the hook. Depending on the brand it usually takes two eggs to float a #8 hook right. Well how many do think it would take to float a #1. They could however work in smaller water in the summer if you use a small enough hook. If they were more buoyant I think they would be absolutely killer!

Also they'd be perfect for drift fishing for trout!

Bro, put a small marshmallow by the hookeye or above. It will help to float better.
:D

troutdude
troutdude
Hawk said:
Bro, put a small marshmallow by the hookeye or above. It will help to float better.
:D

And spread out 2 or 3 split shots, on the line about 6 inches apart. Having all the weights next to each other INCREASE snag potential greatly.

troutdude
troutdude
fishnquest said:

I'm not sure if White one's come in the "basic" or "standard" Power Eggs...maybe only the Magnum variety.

But, I have at least a couple of jars of Spring Green Power Eggs. Got 'em at Bi-Mart in Corvallis as I recall.

Suggestion: ask a dealer to order them in for you, if they don't carry them.