Berkley's Power Eggs...best thing since apple pie!!!

T
troutmasta
Very cool! Thank you

T
Trav
troutdude said:
I use a size 8, sometimes 6, eagle claw egg hook. About 3' of 4-lb. leader connected to a barrel swivel. Above the swivel is a bead. Above the bead is a sliding / slip sinker (barrel shaped). And with 2 Power Eggs, it always floats. My main line, btw, is usually 6 pound test.

I have also used small (size 12 or 14) treble hooks with two Power Eggs too. And it still floats.

I'm not sure, minnowmagnet, why your rig isn't floating for you.

I run the same rig. Carolina set up with #8 hooks, two eggs.. they float just fine. They'll also spin and agitate the the fish if you do a medium to slow retrieve with them or a decent length of leader under a bobber on a windy day. There is more to the eggs than letting them sit on the bottom. Play around with them and see what you can come up with!

troutdude
troutdude
Very true. Had a large bow follow a very fast retrieve once; and take the bait right at my feet!

T
Trav
Gotta love the power eggs! Had some nibbles doing the retrieve method at this spot I've been chasing a whopper at. Time was short so had to move to get some fish for the freezer. Killed em on orange and chartreuse two egg combo over by ramp C at Hagg lake. Picked up some half clear yellow and half solid orange ones at the Lake Stop store, plan to give them a try this weekend.

L
Lancep51
Its been over a year since this thread was last posted on. I am mainly a fly fisherman but with this up coming competition against my buddy where we switch rods I found this thread very very helpful in choosing what I could fish with to win this silly competition. I will invest in some of these eggs and a few other things. Its just amazing on how cheap spinning rod stuff is so cheap compared to fly fishing stuff. I just spent $6 on one fly the other day, plus a rod that ran me $600 and a reel for $200. I catch and release except when I am deep sea fishing so I am afraid that using a treble hook will hurt the fish or increase its morality rate too much on some of the spinners I have been looking at. How do brookies and cutts like power eggs?

N
Netstar1
Anyone tried fishing the power eggs with crawler?

troutdude
troutdude
No idea how brookies and cutties, like the Power Eggs. But cutties DO like worms (so use them, IF bait is legal). Bobber and a worm, is all it takes.

Eggs and a worm? Personally, I see no need. Unless you use multiple hook set ups.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I grew up using the "crappie nibbles" which I guess are a precursor to the eggs?

Never ever been a fan of the dough, that stuff is a wreck! Especially in the Florida sun!

I picked up some pink eggs when I very first moved here, maybe I should break them out again, I just can't sit still

My go-to is the Powerbait WORMS! So much better than a real worm, they last 3-4 fish, stand up straight off the bottom, come in more colors, and no mess!

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Berkley's Mice Tails are something that you can toss and retrieve.

1590386109796.png

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I think I've got some of those too! Pink/white

For awhile i was pinching off the head/egg and just throwing the worm half lol

troutdude
troutdude
@NKlamerus yep; there are many different color combinations. But something that I learned in the 80's, from Jed Davis's book Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout highly recommended 2 contrasting colors. With any OFFering that you toss for fish. Because it triggers strikes. So personally I would not remove the heads of them.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
troutdude said:
Berkley's Power Eggs are AWESOME! They taste the same as Power Bait to the fish.

You must have listened to the same study group of fish! I hear the next fish review is going to be Starbucks vs Dutch Bros, LOL How many fish did you interview?

J
Julialisa
Troutier Bassier said:
I was slaying them yesterday with PowerEggs. 2white/pink eggs on a size 8. :) 2 pinch weights Cast and jig
Where

troutdude
troutdude
@Cedonulli ?
@Julialisa if you tag a member in this fashion, it will send them a message. Hopefully he will see my tag and reply to your question. Welcome to OFF!