Bend, Oregon fly fishing

R
radke15
Hey guys I will be spending my entire summer in bend this year and I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on the best or favorite fishing spots closeby. By the way i won't be fishing any lakes. So please on flyfishing rivers and creeks and i will be wading the whole time. Anyone know of good access spots or places that aren't just the usual park that's been overfished already?

R
radke15
oh and i'd prefer dries of course as all fly fishermen do. =)

F
FlyBum
radke15 said:
oh and i'd prefer dries of course as all fly fishermen do. =)

Well you won't catch anything big around here!!

R
radke15
because?

F
FlyBum
I have never seen or heard or have ever caught anything over 14 inches around town on a dry fly. The bigger fish around typically feed subsurface. Not to say it can't be done, prove me wrong, pleaze!

R
radke15
i hope to. i'm sure people would catch more and bigger ones if all we did was dry fly. lets just say everything has to be perfect eh?

F
FlyBum
There is a time and place to fish dry flies. I highly doubt if all we did was fish dries that there would be more and they would be bigger. You should go to the Metolius and just fish dries with all the other elitists out there during trout season then.

S
steelhead_slayer
I think when you catch a big fish on a dry its a lucky thing. majority of the time your going to catch littler fish, but if you do it long enough you'll get into a few decent fish

R
radke15
i wouldn't call it luck.

Irishrover
Irishrover
radke15 said:
Hey guys I will be spending my entire summer in bend this year and I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on the best or favorite fishing spots closeby. By the way i won't be fishing any lakes. So please on flyfishing rivers and creeks and i will be wading the whole time. Anyone know of good access spots or places that aren't just the usual park that's been overfished already?[/QUOT

Whichever way you choose to flyfish you have pleanty of water to pick from. If you are there all summer you can explore the entire Deschutes. If you get the chance check out the Williamson River further down south. Close by there is the upper and middle Descutes, the Fall, the Metolious, and a wee bit further the Crooked River. I'm not sure why you want to shy away from the lakes, because there can be some good water to fish on. You won't need a boat just a float tube and your set. There is a nice spot I like to on the mid Descutes called Lower Crossing. It's just west of Terrebonne, a good spot for a light set up. Dries and nymphs both work there.;)

J
JohnOD
I bet if you tied up and fished some dries that imitated one of these you might be in for a surprise!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipmunk

I'm guessing rises would be few & far between but certainly memorable :)

R
radke15
Thank you

S
steelhead_slayer
radke15 said:
i wouldn't call it luck.

I look forward to numerous post with big fish caught on dries then