What to bring for a state-wide fishing trip?

P
pancakesnarfer
Going on a 3 week trip around Oregon in September through the 1st of October and was wondering what lures and equipment I should stock up on, I usually only fish the Willamette for smallies so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the strategies to use out past the Willamette zone. I'll be going for bass and pretty much everything else that will bite. Also, does anyone have some good spots they would be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
S
Snopro
There is a bunch of great fishing going on that time of year. Everything from tuna to trout! Can you get on the water or are you shore bound?

With a ton of available fisheries, maybe let us know what bodies of water are on your "must hit list" and we can narrow down your tackle load out.

I'll give you one to start. Lower Deschutes river for Summer run steelhead. It's a classic. Throw spinners and spoons on your bass rod. You can also use it for many other species and techniques. Twitching coho comes to mind.

P
pancakesnarfer
Snopro said:
There is a bunch of great fishing going on that time of year. Everything from tuna to trout! Can you get on the water or are you shore bound?

With a ton of available fisheries, maybe let us know what bodies of water are on your "must hit list" and we can narrow down your tackle load out.

I'll give you one to start. Lower Deschutes river for Summer run steelhead. It's a classic. Throw spinners and spoons on your bass rod. You can also use it for many other species and techniques. Twitching coho comes to mind.
I'm shore-bound sadly, I want to hit up more spots out past the cascades since I haven't been out that direction as much. I have crankbaits, spinners, spoons, soft plastics, and jigs already but most of those are colors and styles I have found to work on the Willamette and up in cascade trout lakes. Mostly just trying to figure out some specifics for lure colors and types that work well further east

O
Oregunner
Sounds like you have a good selection of tackle. You might want to do some research on techniques for different species. Check YouTube. Drifting jigs or softbeads under a bobber for steelhead, for example. I caught my last steelhead on a large casting spoon. The fish of a thousand casts.šŸ˜€
Smallmouth in the Umpqua are still active. Check some of the threads about techniques and locations.