Bass fishing inside Roseburg?

B
BrianG
Hey all just discovered the forum so lots of questions.

I live in far south Roseburg and work south of here and since I am always thinking of fishing I can't help but check out any water I drive while working and heading around town. I have lived in Roseburg for 6 years and I yet to actually seen anyone fishing the South Umpqua, especially inside the city limits. There seems to be a lot of good water and some rapids which the smallies like.
I have second hand information about people catching some good size fish right in Stuart Park.

Does anyone know about fishing close to Roseburg? I would like to sneak in quick trips before work or on weekends?

Thanks

O
Oregunner
Do you have a boat or kayak, or are you needing bank access? The South fork and Main are both chuck full of SM bass. Fun fishery to figure out.

jamisonace
jamisonace
There are some good access points along Old Melrose. I grew up along this stretch of river and now I live just a short distance from my childhood home. That said I've rarely fished the South Umpqua anywhere else.

I've probably caught a thousand bass on this stretch. The picture is the stretch between Braunda Drive and where Old Melrose turns into Harvard.

The circle to the left is a small section owned by Pacific Power. I park on the river side of the road and walk down the rocks to the river. It's best to walk across the river there and fish from the other side all the way up stream.

The other is across from houses but it is owned by the city of Roseburg. The homeowners will try to discourage you from accessing the river there but they are very careful in how they word it because they know they can't prohibit you. My good friend is the head city planner and he told me to launch there so I've gone a few rounds with them when I launch my drift boat there in the winter. The fishing isn't good right there but its an excellent access if you are in a kayak and the fishing is incredible upstream. If you're wading you could probably wade across and fish either upstream or down. I have a friend that lives on the other side upstream and we've fished from his property and it's fish after fish for the kiddos.

The second picture shows the Roseburg owned land and the circle above it is owned by Douglas County. It's an easement incase they decide to put a bridge in. I've never walked around there but it's in an area of good fishing.

Here's a screenshot from OnX Hunt that labels it. I highly encourage everyone to use the city of Roseburg access. It is really under utilized.

• Old Melrose Access.PNG
  • Roseburg and Douglas County land.PNG
  • Screenshot_20220827-231152_onX Hunt.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude and BrianG
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
@jamisonace you leave your truck there or have someone move it to the pullout?

B
BrianG
Oregunner said:
Do you have a boat or kayak, or are you needing bank access? The South fork and Main are both chuck full of SM bass. Fun fishery to figure out.
I have a hobie inflatable with an air leak I have not been able to repair all summer. So I am off the bank for now

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
@jamisonace you leave your truck there or have someone move it to the pullout?
I leave it there. But you might get a nasty gram from the property owner across the street.

Here is a letter I got last time. I wish I hadn't crumpled it and thrown it in the trash before I decided to keep it. I live the line "you are not welcome here - ever." Guess who stops in just to make calls or do nothing at all. LOL it's literally on my way to everything.

Last edited:
B
BrianG
jamisonace said:
There are some good access points along Old Melrose. I grew up along this stretch of river and now I live just a short distance from my childhood home. That said I've rarely fished the South Umpqua anywhere else.

I've probably caught a thousand bass on this stretch. The picture is the stretch between Braunda Drive and where Old Melrose turns into Harvard.

The circle to the left is a small section owned by Pacific Power. I park on the river side of the road and walk down the rocks to the river. It's best to walk across the river there and fish from the other side all the way up stream.

The other is across from houses but it is owned by the city of Roseburg. The homeowners will try to discourage you from accessing the river there but they are very careful in how they word it because they know they can't prohibit you. My good friend is the head city planner and he told me to launch there so I've gone a few rounds with them when I launch my drift boat there in the winter. The fishing isn't good right there but its an excellent access if you are in a kayak and the fishing is incredible upstream. If you're wading you could probably wade across and fish either upstream or down. I have a friend that lives on the other side upstream and we've fished from his property and it's fish after fish for the kiddos.

The second picture shows the Roseburg owned land and the circle above it is owned by Douglas County. It's an I easement incase they decide to put a bridge in. I've never walked around there but it's in an area of good fishing.

Here's a screenshot from OnX Hunt that labels it. I highly encourage everyone to use the city of Roseburg access. It is really under utilized.

I explored this area yesterday August 30, I crossed at the power station. I don't think its too deep to wade across at the City land. I looked for the easement but it is eighter covered with brush or no trespassing. It was a pretty long walk from the power station land and I could only access half of the good water because I was blocked by brush from the bank. (black berries are evil!)
I spent too much time in the skinny water along the way I should have gone straight to the pools across from the public land.
I threw a bargain wopper plopper most of the time. Then switched to a buzz bait and got one little one and a good double attempt with no hook up.

Thanks for the advice! I might try it again with a boat. I am not sure if they were not there or I was using the wrong lures.

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
BrianG said:
I explored this area yesterday August 30, I crossed at the power station. I don't think its too deep to wade across at the City land. I looked for the easement but it is eighter covered with brush or no trespassing. It was a pretty long walk from the power station land and I could only access half of the good water because I was blocked by brush from the bank. (black berries are evil!)
I spent too much time in the skinny water along the way I should have gone straight to the pools across from the public land.
I threw a bargain wopper plopper most of the time. Then switched to a buzz bait and got one little one and a good double attempt with no hook up.

Thanks for the advice! I might try it again with a boat. I am not sure if they were not there or I was using the wrong lures.
Red toyota?

Small dark plastics have always worked for me. There are three deepish pools that are really good on that stretch. When I have a second I'll circle them. I live about 30 seconds from the PP&E property. I'd meet you there sometime.

Reactions: NKlamerus
B
BrianG
I was parked along the road and walked through a few places looking for the easement. I wound up parking across from the electrical station. Easy crossing there, other than slipping and smacking my knee on a rock. Is there any access closer to the rock beaches?

Boy I get jealous every time I look at satellite photos and see people who can walk up to the river from their backyards ;)

B
BrianG
jamisonace said:
I leave it there. But you might get a nasty gram from the property owner across the street.

Here is a letter I got last time. I wish I hadn't crumpled it and thrown it in the trash before I decided to keep it. I live the line "you are not welcome here - ever." Guess who stops in just to make calls or do nothing at all. LOL it's literally on my way to everything.
Were you parked in the area you said was City of Rosburg?
I do have to say it is nice someone keeps that area mowed.

jamisonace
jamisonace
BrianG said:
Were you parked in the area you said was City of Rosburg?
I do have to say it is nice someone keeps that area mowed.
yes, I park in there. I don't know about other access. I asked the airport on the other side of the river if I could walk across their property (years ago) and they said no because of post 9/11 rules.

Attached is a snipit of the three spots that have produced hundreds of fish over the years. The picture of my wife and daughter is a couple years ago and they made 15 casts before they didn't catch a fish. If you cross the river from the power station you shouldn't have any obstructions walking upstream. you need to cross where the water rushes over the rocks.

troutdude
troutdude
Great pic of your ladies @jamisonace! And fantastic intel too!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Reactions: troutdude