Armitage

R
rippin fish lips
So ever since the Summer steelhead starting running i have been fishing armitage. I started fishing it in early march, mainly targeting the awesome natives that lurk in this area, with great success.

I know the bottom part of the (lower mac) is a good early time fishery. But it seams to get dead mid june - whenever, cuz i really dont know. I'm sure it heats back up in the fall.

It seems so hard to catch fish there in mid-late summer when they are resident fish with some moving to different waters.
I find it irritating in so many ways cuz i can slay them anywhere else in mid - late summer but there.

Do any of you fish this stretch in mid - late summer with LURES?

And i sure have been seeing a hell of a lot of bait containers over there this year... it's sickening, and i hope i see who is fishin with them. So for the people who don't know, it is a (artificail fly and lure) only water fishery.

I know (small) will most likely be key, but what lures do you prefer to fish there?

18406ej
18406ej
Rippin-

It is too bad to hear about all the bait fishing going on. I have only been to Armitage during big winter storms to watch the amazing power of the water, but hopefully you will hear from others that know (a lot) more about the area than I do.

I would be happy to just stand there with nothing on the line at all just to enjoy that scenery.

EJ

B
bran_man
I have caught a few people there using bait but most were just ordinary people that obviously don't fish very often and dont know any better (some don't even know there are even regulations period) I just tell or remind them about it. Also I think mid summer when it gets hot and people start partying and swimming, the fish get easily spooked. Just a guess....?

hobster
hobster
I've been fishing there a lot lately also and the last couple of weeks have been pretty slow. I always fly fish down there, but there are more people coming down now that the weather is nice. They are probably spooked like bran man said. I love fishing down there in the fall, those native cutties go wild! I've been trying to find some new water, so i've been trying deerhorn lately. Caught my first redside out there yesterday!
It really ticks me off when people bait fish down there, there is a reason you can't use bait. Protect the waterways!

L
LuckyToBeFishing
I know that Armitage Park is near me. Are you fishing from the park? Where can I fish there? I have never been, but I live near Gateway, so I know it's not far. I wouldn't use bait in running water, anyways, as a general rule.

R
rippin fish lips
LuckyToBeFishing said:
I know that Armitage Park is near me. Are you fishing from the park? Where can I fish there? I have never been, but I live near Gateway, so I know it's not far. I wouldn't use bait in running water, anyways, as a general rule.

Yeah i am fishing from the park. There is some awesome water there on that side. There is also some amazing water on the north side under I-5, You can park under the bridge.

R
rippin fish lips
hobster said:
I've been fishing there a lot lately also and the last couple of weeks have been pretty slow. I always fly fish down there, but there are more people coming down now that the weather is nice. They are probably spooked like bran man said. I love fishing down there in the fall, those native cutties go wild! I've been trying to find some new water, so i've been trying deerhorn lately. Caught my first redside out there yesterday!
It really ticks me off when people bait fish down there, there is a reason you can't use bait. Protect the waterways!

I wonder if we have seen eachother, on deer horn, and/or armitage. I am out almost every day in a different location on the river every trip. I also saw bait containers at harvest lane through the trails and down the little clif to the river bank... It's so sad, i live down the street and i am on my way down there to pick the trash up!

You ever seen a dude, castin lures like crazy, in caddis neoprenes, with fly vest, and Blue and white Nikes for wading shoes out there? Green jeep cherokee with the lamest oldest ski racks ever?

I didn't fish it during fall last year, but plan on hammering it this fall.

Ohh yeahh... and i am up deerhorn quite a bit, it's where i do 70% of my fishing. That place is amazing.

I saw a fly fisherman fishing that stretch just up from hendricks bridge yesterday around 1ish, could that have been you??

L
LuckyToBeFishing
Sweet! Thanks.

R
rippin fish lips
bran_man said:
I have caught a few people there using bait but most were just ordinary people that obviously don't fish very often and dont know any better (some don't even know there are even regulations period) I just tell or remind them about it. Also I think mid summer when it gets hot and people start partying and swimming, the fish get easily spooked. Just a guess....?

Yeah, the only reason i hope i see them there again is so i can tell them about it. i hate seein it, cuz i can slay them on lures there, and i see the fly guys always tearin them up to. It's just sad, but the only thing one can do is remind them about the regs.

But yeah... i think your dead on about them being spooked. It's time to get a spinner makin kit, the fish know my lures haha!

R
rippin fish lips
LuckyToBeFishing said:
Sweet! Thanks.

Yeah no problem man. The fish tend to hold in the Most craziest and weirdest spots there, so don't be afraid to fish under branches with lures there, yes u will lose some but you should also find fish. It's gettin hard now tho. I am just glad i can cast into just about any "hole" in/under the bushes hangin above the water.

That's one thing i love about lure fishing... it improves your casting so much! It's sick, i love it and can't get enough.

hobster
hobster
rippin fish lips said:
I wonder if we have seen eachother, on deer horn, and/or armitage. I am out almost every day in a different location on the river every trip. I also saw bait containers at harvest lane through the trails and down the little clif to the river bank... It's so sad, i live down the street and i am on my way down there to pick the trash up!

You ever seen a dude, castin lures like crazy, in caddis neoprenes, with fly vest, and Blue and white Nikes for wading shoes out there? Green jeep cherokee with the lamest oldest ski racks ever?

I didn't fish it during fall last year, but plan on hammering it this fall.

Ohh yeahh... and i am up deerhorn quite a bit, it's where i do 70% of my fishing. That place is amazing.

I saw a fly fisherman fishing that stretch just up from hendricks bridge yesterday around 1ish, could that have been you??

Yeah, that probably was me, didn't see any other fly fisherman around. I started at the deerhorn boat ramp and hit a few holes, one near hendricks bridge but on the other side from the park. I'm sure i've seen you at Armitage throwin lures, i'm usually on the other side of the river (i love the gravel bar). I've got a red truck w/ a grey top - i've seen a pic of you here, i'll stop by and say hi next time. If you see a dude with long hair who is usually in painter whites (under my waders) its probably me.

L
LuckyToBeFishing
rippin fish lips said:
Yeah no problem man. The fish tend to hold in the Most craziest and weirdest spots there, so don't be afraid to fish under branches with lures there, yes u will lose some but you should also find fish. It's gettin hard now tho. I am just glad i can cast into just about any "hole" in/under the bushes hangin above the water.

That's one thing i love about lure fishing... it improves your casting so much! It's sick, i love it and can't get enough.

Over the past two years, I have become a lot better at my cast. I seem to be a bit better when I'm using Troutski's GL3 and butter Shimano reel. His stuff makes mine feel like dookie, but I'm Lucky to have what I have. My technique was never very good until I met him. He has schooled me quite a bit. A good angler is a great friend to have. I think I might try to start making my own lures like he does. Cheaper in the long run. He has a couple of his lure pics posted on the Stillwater Snipers Group. Check 'em out. Thanks for all the great info, rippin. Maybe I'll see you out there soon.