May Fishing in the Willamette Zone

Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
Howdy folks, I’m a non-resident visiting family around Happy Valley for the next week. I brought my rod and some spinners and had planned to go down to Riverside Park/Carver Park after work but after taking a look at the regulations guide, I’m worried that I’m too early for trout fishing. I typically come in July so I never have a problem. I apologize for the dumb questions but would someone mind helping me interpret the regulations and let me know what I could fish for over the next week, if anything? Thanks in advance.

kemfish
kemfish
Most streams are closed till 22May, I think, but there are some exceptions. You go into the rules for the region then look for the specific rules for each water body. It will tell you if there are different seasons or rules on gear. If you don't see a specific water body then the region rules apply. Good luck with the Columbia river regs though, they are definitely quite complex.

On the other hand lakes ands ponds are all open and have been getting stocked heavily since February so should be lots of fish to be had. Weather hasn't warmed up yet so conditions should be good.

Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
kemfish said:
Most streams are closed till 22May, I think, but there are some exceptions. You go into the rules for the region then look for the specific rules for each water body. It will tell you if there are different seasons or rules on gear. If you don't see a specific water body then the region rules apply. Good luck with the Columbia river regs though, they are definitely quite complex.

On the other hand lakes ands ponds are all open and have been getting stocked heavily since February so should be lots of fish to be had. Weather hasn't warmed up yet so conditions should be good.
Thanks kemfish! I appreciate the insight and advice.

troutdude
troutdude
@Jkeck1024 Welcome to OFF.

Henry Hagg Lake (NW of Gaston) was heavily stocked last week with tons of trout. Because there was a fishing tournament there last Saturday. Since it was a pretty nasty day and, I suspect, not heavily fished...there are still likely plenty of fish to be had. Try near each boat ramp (Ramp A & Ramp C) to start out.

There may be one or two streams open, in the area. But you'll have to check the reg's, per above, to know for sure.

Reactions: Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
troutdude said:
@Jkeck1024 Welcome to OFF.

Henry Hagg Lake (NW of Gaston) was heavily stocked last week with tons of trout. Because there was a fishing tournament there last Saturday. Since it was a pretty nasty day and, I suspect, not heavily fished...there are still likely plenty of fish to be had. Try near each boat ramp (Ramp A & Ramp C) to start out.

There may be one or two streams open, in the area. But you'll have to check the reg's, per above, to know for sure.
Great to know- thank you so much!!

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. Click this link--to the ODFW reg book--and look through pages 42-51. The last 2 pages are maps which also show the stream closures.

https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/24ORFW_LR.pdf

FYI: In addition to an angling license, you will need a Columbia River Basin endorsement. Which is detailed on Page 8.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

troutdude
troutdude
Forgot that this stream is open year round:

Breitenbush River
• Open all year.
• 5 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• Use of bait allowed.

That's all that I see OFF hand, in terms of open streams.

Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
troutdude said:
Forgot that this stream is open year round:

Breitenbush River
• Open all year.
• 5 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
• Use of bait allowed.

That's all that I see OFF hand, in terms of open streams.
Thanks, troutdude!!! I did purchase the Columbia River Basin endorsement, as well as the combined angling tag. Am I reading the regulation guide correctly on salmon and steelhead fishing being legal right now in the Willamette zone? Aka, can I go fish for steelhead and salmon in the Clackamas? I have heard great things about McIver (more than just fishing) so at the very least, I’d like to go on a hike at some point this week but fishing always makes the trek better. I truly apologize for the ignorant questions, just want to be crystal clear on everything before I get on the water. Thank you for your patience!

troutdude
troutdude
Yes; but only adipose fin clipped hatchery raised salmon or steelhead per below. All fish with an intact adipose fin are native fish, and must be released quickly and unharmed back into the river.

Clackamas River
Mouth to River Mill Dam
• 5 hatchery trout per day, no minimum length.
• Open all year for hatchery salmon and
hatchery steelhead.
• Combined daily limit of 3 hatchery salmon
or hatchery steelhead per day.
• Use of bait allowed.
• No angling from a floating device between

While I've been to McIver once or maybe twice...I don't know where the River Mill Dam is.

Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
troutdude said:
Yes; but only adipose fin clipped hatchery raised salmon or steelhead per below. All fish with an intact adipose fin are native fish, and must be released quickly and unharmed back into the river.

Clackamas River
Mouth to River Mill Dam
• 5 hatchery trout per day, no minimum length.
• Open all year for hatchery salmon and
hatchery steelhead.
• Combined daily limit of 3 hatchery salmon
or hatchery steelhead per day.
• Use of bait allowed.
• No angling from a floating device between

While I've been to McIver once or maybe twice...I don't know where the River Mill Dam is.
Thank you so much! What a great community. I really appreciate everyone’s help.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
@Jkeck1024

Here's a map for you. Which shows where the River Mill Dam is...among other things.

• Clackmas River map.jpg
C
cchinook
Jkeck1024 said:
Howdy folks, I’m a non-resident visiting family around Happy Valley for the next week. I brought my rod and some spinners and had planned to go down to Riverside Park/Carver Park after work but after taking a look at the regulations guide, I’m worried that I’m too early for trout fishing. I typically come in July so I never have a problem. I apologize for the dumb questions but would someone mind helping me interpret the regulations and let me know what I could fish for over the next week, if anything? Thanks in advance.
Go to Oxbow Park on the Sandy and toss #4 spinners for spring salmon . Forget trout.

Reactions: Jkeck1024 and troutdude
Jkeck1024
Jkeck1024
cchinook said:
Go to Oxbow Park on the Sandy and toss #4 spinners for spring salmon . Forget trout.
Love it! Thanks for the recommendation!!

S
SnailEye
There are actually a handful of streams open to trout year around. Breitenbush is just one of them. They are listed by water body under the exceptions part of the regulations. My experience comes from areas close to Portland. That being said, most are small. Most are largely on private land. A lot of the ones on public land have difficult access one way or another. I would also say for the most part don't expect very big or very many fish. I have found you need to work for it but the opportunities are there.

Reactions: olshiftybiscuits, troutdude and Jkeck1024