Anything about spinners

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah blades too. Forgot that. And that pretty much makes a crude spinners. Adding wieght and stuff. Thats a challenge!

F
FishSchooler
Heres half a dozen I twisted up in october.
DSC_6524.jpg
I need better pliers!

Oh yeah, never have a bunch of trebs on thick padded carpet :doh:

O
osmosis
Lookin good fishschooler!
You should try to clip the wire as close as possible (that second from the left is a bit long at the bottom eye).

T
Troutier Bassier
Amazing... How much for 3 of 'em?

Justkidding!

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
Lookin good fishschooler!
You should try to clip the wire as close as possible (that second from the left is a bit long at the bottom eye).

Thanks Osmo
I need new pliers... or wire cutters. I only have a rusty pair of em that wire cutters are in the middle of the two whatchamacallits, the things that squeeze. And I was so into it, I just kept throwing on random beads and I forgot about the blade-reaches-the-bottom-eye rule. And I need to make the bottom eyes like circles, not diamonds. :shock::lol:

OH and tb, i can't accept that cause the good ones are stuck at the bottom of the sandy river... :shock:

T
Troutier Bassier
.....What were you fishng for????

A
ArcticAmoeba
He was targeting Coho in the upper river.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
He was targeting Coho in the upper river.

Yepparoo...
I need to make a trip to BC and buy me some REEL spinner supplies.

N
ninja2010
wobbly spinners - how to fix?

wobbly spinners - how to fix?

how does one fix a spinner that wobbles? what's the cause - is it the loops, or hook imbalance?

and spins... some spinners just spins like crazy, twisting the leader and mainline. how does one fix that?

i know re-tieing would fix those problematic spinners, but is there a quick way to fix it when on the water? or ways to test the spinners before getting them wet? what does one look for?

i love throwing spinners, but some of them just don't work as well as others.

M
meluvtrout
ninja2010 said:
how does one fix a spinner that wobbles? what's the cause - is it the loops, or hook imbalance?

and spins... some spinners just spins like crazy, twisting the leader and mainline. how does one fix that?

i know re-tieing would fix those problematic spinners, but is there a quick way to fix it when on the water? or ways to test the spinners before getting them wet? what does one look for?

i love throwing spinners, but some of them just don't work as well as others.

I think FishFinger had a thread about tuning spinners. Make sure when you twist the top eye, place the wire between your thumb and index finger and give it a back and forh spin to make sure your wire is straight and your eye is aligned. When you're done with the spinner place it on a plain surface and see if both eyes touch the surface and the wire is straight.

Using a swivel and a leader gets rid of the line twists in most cases(at least for me). Perhaps you're not using the right size swivel?

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
thanks, meluvtrout...

i did read ff's spinner tuning post, and most of my spinners are okay. it's just that once in a while i get one that wobbles like a bent wheel or twists like a drill bit...

i used to tie swivels to my spinners, but was chastised for throwing off the balance, so i quit doing that...

anyways, you're saying it's the wire and eyes that cause the wobbles... could it be weight distribution issues? wrong hooks? wrong clevis size? do any of these create problems for the spinner?

F
Fishtopher
Yes. Could be weight. Spinner will wobble like your knees in 7th grade when Sally Johnson asked you to the dance if you dont have the right body weight to blade distribution. Or if your wire is too long.

For all day spinner excursions, I tie a swivel to main, leader to swivel, leader to spinner to keep down the wire twists.

N
ninja2010
lol! sally never asked me to dance...

okay, so improper weight to blade combo could be a culprit, eh? are there any reference charts or some kinda guideline i can use to determine the correct balance?

i've been tying #3s and #4s with 1/4 oz...

F
Fishtopher
Dan posted that on here somewhere. Buried. Might be on page one of this here thread though...

Or you could chat it up with the folks at BC, and they can tell you the magic numbers.

F
Fishtopher
Post number 74 on this thread has it.

N
ninja2010
thanks very much, 'topher.

i'll tie up some new ones using these numbers to see what happens.

S
salmo102
unweighted bodies

unweighted bodies

It seems that nobody uses floating or unweighted spinners. It works well on rocky and snagy bottoms. Unweighted spinner can be used with a lead head just above or with a paternoster rig with lead shots (easy to "loose" when you snag the bottom). Floating spinners are used the same way. We use to make floating bodies with a balza dowel or a special foam body. It allows the spinner hook to swim a bit above the rocks and more parallel to the bottom; We usualy cover the floating body with a tailed latex tube, like our flying condoms for brown seatrout and atlantic salmon. A lot of european fishermen fishing alaskan rivers have great succes with these.
Daniel.

A
Anyfishisfine
FishFinger said:
Blade -- Ounce --- Grains
#2 -- .12 to .17 / 52.5 to 74.4
#3 -- .22 to .27 / 96.3 to 118.1
#4 -- .32 to .37 / 140.0 to 161.8
#5 -- .42 to .47 / 183.8 to 205.6
#6 -- .62 to .67 / 271.2 to 293.1

This chart shows the weight of body I should be using for a given blade size? Should I be including the wire and blade weight, or is that already accounted for?

Thanks!

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Anyfishisfine said:
This chart shows the weight of body I should be using for a given body size? Should I be including the wire and blade weight, or is that already accounted for?

Thanks!

I think that's how heavy the blades are. Body weight/size depends the water conditions, deeper/faster=heavy body.

B
Big Hairy Dawg
I have a friend who has been pulling a particular spinner for years for faal chinook at the coast. This spinner will out fish any in the boat and has many times provided the only action in the bay. He and I have tried to duplicate it from color to size and same materials, but none seems to work as well. What could cause this? I know its not the fisherman because the spinner has been around the boat from old men to ladies to kids and to newbies. From tillimook bay to Alseas, to nehalem. its a fish Killer! :think: