Any recent reports from Detroit Reservoir?

H
hobbesv2
I was just at Detroit as well, they were hitting just about everything. Caught them on power bait mostly before it even hit bottom, a few on lures. A good day, but like you nothing over 12 inches, I was really hoping for one of those 2+ lb Cabelas tagged trout :)

T
troutfisher
I am haeaded up in the morning with the family. I have heard people talk about the flats in town. Would this be a good palce to take the kids and still get some fish?

L
lilsalmon
I haven't been there in awhile but the flats is a good place to fish......

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you you Hawk.

Hobbes, same here. I got 'em mostly on Power Eggs, mostly a combo of orange and green; but also chartreuse, white, and while reeling in some bubble gum ones (pink)...I had four chase the bait and one nab it right in front of me! We tried Roosters, my favorite Little Cleo's, Blue Foxes, Kastmaters of various colors etc with NO luck. I have never caught a fish on a Blue Fox. I can't understand why some peeps rave about em.

Troutfisher, welcome to OFF. I'd take your kids back behind the forest service maintenance building/lot side of Tumble Creek. That's where I C&R'd so many fish. Just use 3' of leader with a slip sinker and 2 power eggs OFF the bottom. Their were fish close to the bank in 4' of water all of the way into the creek channel in 30' of water. Try all of the colors that I mentioned above.

T
troutfisher
Troutdude - Thanks for the tip on location. I looked up a map and it looks like tumble creek is before Mongold? Where do you park when fishing this area?

B
Big3d
Congrats my friend, hope you enjoyed your trip!!!

troutdude
troutdude
troutfisher said:
Troutdude - Thanks for the tip on location. I looked up a map and it looks like tumble creek is before Mongold? Where do you park when fishing this area?

Actually I think that Tumble Creek is between Mongold and the next state park going east towards the town of Detroit. If you go past the FS Ranger Station on the left (north)...you've gone too far. I think that you have to park along the highway.

troutdude
troutdude
Bump:

While my buddies and I were fishing but not catching...I tried to help them to also get into some fish. I gave 'em bait, scents, and tackle as needed. I instructed them on how to rig their gear and bait. Plus I even turned and fished the other side of the boat, so they could try casting into the hot spot that I was pulling fish from. They just didn't have any luck.

And I'm still amazed that I had four trout follow my Pink Power Eggs, as I was reeling everything in to pack up and leave!

BTW, one of my buds took some nice camp site pics. I'm hoping that he'll email them to me, so I can post 'em on here.

T
troutfisher
Found tumble creek. Fished with the kids for about 3 1/2 hours before they were ready to go. Orange power bait on the bottom produced some fish but not as many as worms and a bobber with a long leader. Mostly stockers 8 - 10 inches.

Lost a really nice carry over about 10 feet from the shore. It looked like a solid 14 inch fish.

Others in the area were catching some fish but no one was knocking them dead. Ended up with plenty of fish for dinner so the trip was sucessful.

Thanks for all the tips!

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

I'm glad that you found some methods that worked. As I mentioned, all of our fish were under 12". Too bad, that you missed the big one. But, at least you wound up with a meal!

C
Coyote
I went out to Detroit on Sunday, my regular fishing buddies had to work so I invited my mom along since she doesn't get to fish much but always has a good time when she goes. We set up near mongold park and I caught my limit and she caught 4 in a little under 3 hours. Caught two 12 inchers, the rest were somewhere between 8 and 10. A good day for us though.

We used salmon eggs btw