An observation about the "bite"

L
lizardman
I went out the other day and there was a storm front moving in and didn't get one takedown in five hours (fishing roe under a bobber), and then went out a couple days later afer that storm front had passed, but again no bites as another front was moving in. The people that went out when it was raining hard just as the front passed were nailing the salmon.

I went out yesterday after a storm front passed, but another was comming up so I was between fronts and there was no action at all other than the infrequent salmon jumping.

My thought is the barometric pressure of the impending storm front was like a light switch that got turned off. When I went fishing a week ago after a storm had passed and no fronts were close I had a great day and took home a 27 inch chinook and had a 30+ inch chinook on but crackered him off as he was about five feet from me.

Also the storm fronts effected the aqurium fish I keep as their behavior was not like normal as they were hanging close to the bottom of the tank and not swimming all over chasing each other.

Dave

E
eugene1
Cool observations!

I tried correlating the bite in bays with atmospheric pressure but found no correlation. I might have to get some aquarium fish now!

T
troutmasta
Cool. I always leaned toward lower barometric pressure triggers the bite cause it means rains gonna move in probably and migratory fish need high rivers to travel. Fish chargin up when the storms coming.
yesterday however, I did not get any bites all day. Then, in the rain I got 2 in like 10 min. strange

S
sethinoregon
I'm not that familiar with the rivers up here but on my home systems down south (coos, coquille, sixes and elk) I have always correlated lower pressure with better fishing. That said, I think it depends on the species. Chinook are just pissed off creatures. In my experience if you put something in front of their face there is a pretty good chance they will bite it so long as the water conditions are good and they aren't spooked. I thinki have noticed a bigger difference with winter steelhead as it pertains to barometric pressure.

E
eugene1
Hey seth, more good intel for the group! Thanks for posting it up.

In my observations on the Ump, Siuslaw, Nestucca, and Tbay tidal herring troll fisheries I did not notice what you saw with nooks. Some days I have seen almost every boat with a net out and others (like the next day) there are no fish taken even though fish are clearly around and the weather is the same. There is something about the bite! I would love to be able to predict it but for now I just fish when I can and accept that fish are fish. It could be that in the systems you fish, that they are keyed into rain/low pressure events, I am only talking about tidewater.

Not meaning to bash you at all, just my observations!

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Whats crazy about to me, and one of the reasons Im going to school to study them, is that like eugene says, one day 1,000 fish will commit to the strike leading to "hot" days for every one, then for No noticeable reason to man they all stop. crazy. There are obviously factors beyond our current comprehension. Were talking about an animal with instincts that lead it back thousands and thousands or miles to the creek it was born it just to get laid and die.
I absolutely think that the barometric pressure plays a role, however there are other factors that may modify what role it plays we don't particularly notice.
These feesh are crazzyy.

S
sethinoregon
eugene1 said:
Hey seth, more good intel for the group! Thanks for posting it up.

In my observations on the Ump, Siuslaw, Nestucca, and Tbay tidal herring troll fisheries I did not notice what you saw with nooks. Some days I have seen almost every boat with a net out and others (like the next day) there are no fish taken even though fish are clearly around and the weather is the same. There is something about the bite! I would love to be able to predict it but for now I just fish when I can and accept that fish are fish. It could be that in the systems you fish, that they are keyed into rain/low pressure events, I am only talking about tidewater.

Not meaning to bash you at all, just my observations!

No offense taken my friend. I know much less about these fine creatures than I wish I did or that many of these folks on off do. I do a lot less catching than I do fishing that's for sure. Mostly I love the solace of being alone on the river. Never been much of a tide water/bay fisherman myself.

C
CoastieFlo
Yes pressure has an effect on fish movement, biting, etc. Their lateral line is very sensitive to this, among other disturbances in the water.

M
Mad dog
troutmasta said:
Whats crazy about to me, and one of the reasons Im going to school to study them, is that like eugene says, one day 1,000 fish will commit to the strike leading to "hot" days for every one, then for No noticeable reason to man they all stop. crazy. There are obviously factors beyond our current comprehension. Were talking about an animal with instincts that lead it back thousands and thousands or miles to the creek it was born it just to get laid and die.
I absolutely think that the barometric pressure plays a role, however there are other factors that may modify what role it plays we don't particularly notice.
These feesh are crazzyy.

Yep!!!

Barometric pressure affects fish.....I think the variable's that affect when fish bite are infinetely many....on any given day any combination of thing might affect the bite!

T
troutmasta
Mad dog said:
Yep!!!

Barometric pressure affects fish.....I think the variable's that affect when fish bite are infinetely many....on any given day any combination of thing might affect the bite!

Couldn't agree more!

Exactly the reason why I can justify buying every possible presentation scenario I can afford, alsowhy its good to pack a Variety of gear! I litteraly have one of everything in by pack I think.