Albany upper W. sturgeon advice?

J
Jdangler xD
Hey everyone, firstly thanks.

I'm new to the area and the forum. Was part of sdfish for awhile in San Diego, good salt game. ANYWAYS, I'm trying to get into some resident gators and it's been difficult. I expected and accept the challenge but I been trying to get some info on the river, most people just say fish elsewhere which is the best part about being dedicated, less pressure on the river.

Eitherway its it's been cold fishing (was a storm awhile back) but I'm still at it. If your interested in hitting the water let me know :D

willamette 4. Me. 0

Last edited by a moderator:
P
playhooky
Heard the water temps are quite chili in the big river but regardless, the gators seem to be suck'n up whatever comes their way. Probably gonna soak some baits in Bonneville pool in a day or so myself to see if the skinny was accurate or not. The word was 30 fish days + - ....... worth a shot. Weather looks decent anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J
Jdangler xD
I heard that worms, herring and squid all work great, just near Albany or Corvallis it's difficult to locate them?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Dino's gentelmen, Dino's. Welcome aboard. Please fill out "about me" and good luck. Tony

J
Jdangler xD
Dino's? Sturgeon. Yup.

troutdude
troutdude
On Hwy. 20, across from the entry to HP...there's a pocket, that was marked on an old map of my dad's. I think that hole, it's in front of a culvert. I'm not sure if it's accessible by foot; but might be worth a look.

P.S. Bonneville Dam, is about a 2.5 - 3 hour trip one-way from Albany

M
muskieguide
There are some sturgeon around. PM me and I'll put you on em

T
TTFishon
Supposedly there's a hole where the Long Tom enters the Willamette near Monroe.

E
eugene1
I think you would have the odds in your favor if you fished BELOW Willy falls (Oregon City).

Look up posts from our member "bass" or pm him.

I've watched and searched for info about UPPER willy sturgeon for many years, seems to be much easier below the falls.

Take care,

C_Run
C_Run
eugene1 said:
I think you would have the odds in your favor if you fished BELOW Willy falls (Oregon City).

Look up posts from our member "bass" or pm him.

I've watched and searched for info about UPPER willy sturgeon for many years, seems to be much easier below the falls.

Take care,

I don't fish for sturgeon but there are places in our area. You might need to hang out at boat ramps and try to get your info. Expect people to be tight lipped about it. Might be better to get out on the river and look for the deep holes unless you want to drive to Portland. I saw some pics of sturgeon my neighbor's friend from near Albany caught this past year so they are definitely out there .

J
Jdangler xD
C_Run said:
I don't fish for sturgeon but there are places in our area. You might need to hang out at boat ramps and try to get your info. Expect people to be tight lipped about it. Might be better to get out on the river and look for the deep holes unless you want to drive to Portland. I saw some pics of sturgeon my neighbor's friend from near Albany caught this past year so they are definitely out there .

I know they are here for sure and also have heard it doesn't have to be deep either. Just trying to get some truth. My skunk trips have givin minimal feedback. But I'm still at it.

jhop111
jhop111
From my experience the stretch from corvallis to albany was more productive for us the last 3 years. Squid works best and it stays on the hook longer with the bait robbers that are plentiful. Bank fishing is hard because they move around a lot more than you might think. The locals aren't tight lipped because its a great fishery. Most of them don't have the ability to fish below the falls when they have a day to kill. Also its easy to turn them off the bite so added pressure doesn't help anyone. A good day is 1 fish my best day is a few and all were keeper sized or smaller. I've eaten one once, and the taste is not as good as below the falls or an estuary fish. Plus a keeper fish would give you like 3 years worth of mercury and pcb levels. There are big fish to catch, but they are few and far between. Fighting a decent fish is a gamble even from a boat. Lots of snags to loose them on, so every fish is a trophy to me. The mouth of the long tom is well known, but its a littered with submerged trees and has filled in a lot. Use as heavy of a line as you can, shorten your leaders and be prepared to loose lead. Move around if you have a boat, we give each spot about 30 minutes.

Reactions: eugene1
J
Jdangler xD
I shall be banking it. Thanks for the info, exactly what you said is what I've been thinking but nobody could confirm it. Now I just gotta find a few spots to kill some time. Thanks. And yes every fish is a trophy in this instance.

T
troutmasta
jhop111 said:
. Squid works best and it stays on the hook longer with the bait robbers that are plentiful. .

Key to the upper Willy.

As far as eating keepers. The water down stream is just as bad. The key is cutting all the fat OFF the meat. and by all I mean EVERY drop. Yum....

J
Jdangler xD
Catch and release good sir ;)

jhop111
jhop111
Bumping your thread up. Salem to Albany has been kicking out a couple from hearsay.

Last edited by a moderator:
J
Jdangler xD
was fishing today on upper W and Seen an oversize roll bout 30 feet in front of me. Tomorrow I'll either be there or on lower W. Either ways it's a sturgeon trip