It's a major award!

troutdude
troutdude
OnTheFly said:
The experience had much more value than the meal.

True that!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
plumb2fish said:
Sorry about the hi-jack pinky.....way to go on the steelhead...don't those big nates pull hard...effing blast

Ha! Not at all, man! I wouldn't be here if I weren't obsessed with the hunt and learning everything I can about what's happening where. Fish on!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
OnTheFly said:
The experience had much more value than the meal.

That's the damn truth, man. It was one of those "today is the day" moments I've been building for since I first realized they were out there. I went back to a different drift yesterday with no luck, but just knowing that I'm doing it right has changed the whole game for me. I still can't say I know the difference between a rock bump & a bite 9 times out of 10, but I now have a feel for how much weight I need relative to the current, how to spot a seam, when and where to move on, and really just how to enjoy the river itself while I wait for the next big fish.

I also tried floating a jig for a little while yesterday. It was pretty dramatic terrain though - a wide stretch of river 8" deep squeezing into a narrow column of torrential water probably 8' deep - not ideal on either end, but absolutely gorgeous. It was also great practice, as I could easily tell the dept of the water I was standing in, adjust my indicator accordingly and learn what it looks like while dragging vs. floating properly.

My only regret is that I haven't yet saved enough money to retire and do this every day. God bless OFF though for the hours of distraction in the meantime.

A
alm21
Somehow missed this thread, awesome job pinky! Persistence, desire to succeed and a never quit attitude will always pay off.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thanks! I can't wait to get out there again this weekend. I'll even take pride in being out if the weather is cold and/or snowing. I'm sure I'll miss the solitude when the sun comes out and the shore is lined with fairweather fishers. (literally.)

A
alm21
pinkygonzales said:
Thanks! I can't wait to get out there again this weekend. I'll even take pride in being out if the weather is cold and/or snowing. I'm sure I'll miss the solitude when the sun comes out and the shore is lined with fairweather fishers. (literally.)

It's the foulweather fisherman that will cramp the space in the upcoming week if predictions hold true. :pray: Wish I could join you and everyone else this weekend but I'll be coaching in a soccer tournament. Winter soccer season, bbrrrrr!!!